Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

What is a good ASIO board for a Mac?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is a good ASIO board for a Mac?

Anyone? Thanks!
    Roland V-Club with KD-120. Apple G4 500 x 256 megs ram using Cubase VST 5.1 Native Instruments Battery, Absynth, Korg Electribe EA-1 and Propellerhead Reason.

I'm using the Digidesign DIGI 001 system, which includes a PCI card and the 19" breakout box with the preamps and in/outputs. Combined with the ProTools LE software I don't think there's a better system, especially for that price.
    You can get a demo video from Digidesign, but beware, although informative, I think they recorded it between bong hits
    I'm partial to this stuff, I was a long time Cubase user before, and had switched to Logic a while ago, and this system has 'em beat.

Stu
    "Fry that sound effect, Moriarty, we're having it for breakfast"

Comment

You can get a demo video from Digidesign, but beware, although informative, I think they recorded it between bong hits
      hehehehehe I fully agree!
      Steve

'I only ever quote myself - except when I quote someone else' - me

, plenty of , and , , triggered acoustics, , and a plethora of PA blah blah freakin blah...I mean does anyone care about the specifics of pedals, speakers, processors, hardware or anything that I'm using?? :confused: Hmmm, maybe this is an appropriate place to mention that I tried out a new cymbal stand the other day...

Comment

Originally posted by Steveo the Devo:
        hehehehehe I fully agree!
        Hey dude, this stuff is schweet, man! Groovy daddy baby!

Stu

Comment

Thanks mcconaghy! Curious, are there as many effects plug-ins available for ProTools as there are for Cubase? What is it that you like better about ProTools? I'm pretty new to this stuff. I'm using Cubase right now, but I dont want to get too deep into learning it if ProTools is better. Thanks again!
          Roland V-Club with KD-120. Apple G4 500 x 256 megs ram using Cubase VST 5.1 Native Instruments Battery, Absynth, Korg Electribe EA-1 and Propellerhead Reason.

Comment

First of all, I find that ProTools is much easier to use. It's more intuitive, more stable, and also faster. The biggest advantage is that you do everything in two windows, the edit window and the mix window, which makes things a lot easier, as you have access to all your tools and plug-ins at once, instead of combing through multiple windows.
            There aren't as many RTAS plug-ins as there are VST plug-ins as yet, but the RTAS plug-ins, in my experience, are generally a very high quality, and sound really nice. There will be more plug-ins as time goes by, so I think in maybe a year or so you'll have a large selection of RTAS plug-ins to play around with.

Stu

Comment

plugs ins?........ PLUG INS!!!!!! (groovy baby)
              Steve

'I only ever quote myself - except when I quote someone else' - me

, plenty of , and , , triggered acoustics, , and a plethora of PA blah blah freakin blah...I mean does anyone care about the specifics of pedals, speakers, processors, hardware or anything that I'm using?? :confused: Hmmm, maybe this is an appropriate place to mention that I tried out a new cymbal stand the other day...

Comment

Originally posted by mcconaghy:
                First of all, I find that ProTools is much easier to use. It's more intuitive, more stable, and also faster. The biggest advantage is that you do everything in two windows, the edit window and the mix window, which makes things a lot easier, as you have access to all your tools and plug-ins at once, instead of combing through multiple windows.
                There aren't as many RTAS plug-ins as there are VST plug-ins as yet, but the RTAS plug-ins, in my experience, are generally a very high quality, and sound really nice. There will be more plug-ins as time goes by, so I think in maybe a year or so you'll have a large selection of RTAS plug-ins to play around with.

Stu
                Well, I've been looking around at some of the defferent Digital Studio options available to me. The Digi 001 really looks like a winner to me. Unfortuantely I just found out that Digidesign does not support thier software on my grey G3 due to a commonly occuring error! Hmmm... Not sure what to do now. They say the error is not fatal, and can be cleared just by hitting ok, but I wonder how often and how annoying that will get. I cant believe they couldnt fix that bug. Oh well. Problem is I dont have enough cash to go out and buy a new Mac. My other options I have been looking at is the Roland VM studio package or an M-Audio Delta 44 and using Cubase. Ahhh!! It's so hard to decide! I'm really bummed about the Digi 001 problem.

Comment

Mate,
                  that's no problem, really. Digidesign lists the beige G3's under "also supported, but not recommended", like all other makers, because the beige G3s had some problems in the audio I/O department and with working with MIDI interfaces, especially USB. It's a hardware bug, and nobody was able to come up with a solution for it, in fact Apple's solution was to replace them with thre Blue & White Macs, which didn't have that problem.
                  I've read good reviews about the mixer in the Roland studio pack, the software is a specially adapted version of Logic Silver. Not bad for that price, I'd say.

Stu

Ooops, should have written that it had problems with USB in conjunction with 3rd party USB cards, forgot to mention that. Sorry 'bout that.

[This message has been edited by mcconaghy (edited July 14, 2001).]

Comment

Thanks Stu. Yeah, I have problems with midi on my biege G3 sometimes. I lose the connections and other wierdness sometimes. I should probaby upgrade to a G4.

Comment

All you really need to do is find a used blue & white G3 at around 500 Mhz with a good stash of RAM and some hard disk space, I've seen decent systems going for around $500 on Ebay. That'd keep you set for a while, and it's upgradeable. You could probably sell your beige G3 for the same price as a used blue & white G3 would cost you.

Stu

Comment

Originally posted by mcconaghy:
                        All you really need to do is find a used blue & white G3 at around 500 Mhz with a good stash of RAM and some hard disk space, I've seen decent systems going for around $500 on Ebay. That'd keep you set for a while, and it's upgradeable. You could probably sell your beige G3 for the same price as a used blue & white G3 would cost you.

Stu

Thanks Stu. You are a well of wisdom!

Comment

I trust the check's in the mail?

Stu

Comment

Working...
                          X