Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Considering buying e-drums? Read this!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Considering buying e-drums? Read this!

If you've been thinking for awhile about buying a set of electronic drums, and just can't make up your mind, let me help you.

Buy a set of Roland V-Pro--but hurry, because time is running out. V-Pro is pretty close to V-Session in terms of total pads and pad sizes, brain capability, and overall good looks, but what truly seperates V-Pro from V-Session is about $2,000.

Roland has discontinued V-Pro sets and is now focusing on marketing V-Session, V-Concert and V-Club. This translates loosely into tremendous savings for the consumer as far as older sets are concerned. I picked up a set of V-Pro's from Sam Ash music for $2,999 with no shipping charge. And when they found out that I was ordering them as a birthday present to myself, they threw in free next day air! If you use Sam Ash, ask for Sean in the percussion dept. and tell him Adam sent you--he's probably one of the nicest people I've dealt with.

Anyway, I simply can't get over what a good deal the V-Pro's are right now, so if you've got the money to spend, these are probably your best buy, but like I said, hurry up!

adam

adam,
    The Pro's for $3000 is a good deal but perhaps not as good as one might think. The Session's can be had for under $4200. For the $1200 difference you get the TDW-1 , upgraded kick (KD 120), upgraded V Cymbals and upgraded hadware.

Not trying to bring you down as the Pro's are great and still better than some of the "newer" e-drum offerings.

Happy birthday!!!
    cliff

Comment

I'm with Cliff,

No one believes me but I scored a V-session for $3,989 out the door! You can't beat that! Anyway, I did a lot of research before buying and I recommend the same.

The V-Pro is a great kit but without the improved features of the TDW-1, the KD-120 and of course the V-cymbals, which I love despite mixed reviews from my colleagues.

V-Session

Comment

I just went to a local Mar's Music shop and they had the Pro set for $2899. It looked like the price was for the demo model but the salesguy said that that was their new price for a brand-new set. I was up in the air on whether to get the Custom or Pro set and that didn't help much. I don't like the smaller heads on the Pro set (although the less space is nice) and I hear that the TD-8 may be somewhat better than the TD-10 in some instances. But with only $100-200 seperating the two sets now, I feel almost foolish not going with the bigger Custom. Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Comment

V-Club at $1250. Cant beat that. Plus it's compatable with the v-cymbals which I heard the TD-8 is not. Also compatable with the mesh heads, but I dont mind the rubber ones so much. I plan on swapping out the snare for a mesh one though. I also swapped out the bass drum for the kd-120.
          Roland V-Club with KD-120. Apple G4 500 x 256 megs ram using Cubase VST 5.1 Native Instruments Battery, Absynth, Korg Electribe EA-1 and Propellerhead Reason.

Comment

v968- I believe you have your kits reversed. The Custom carries the smaller pads and the V Pro has the larger...V Pro/TD10, V Custom/TD8...Also, That td8 can be had for much leass than the advertised prices of $2695...just beat em down. Mr music RetailDeuchbag will help with the technique...
            Roland V-Pro TD20 expanded with V Expressions
            Presonus Firepod
            Reaper
            Acoustic- Spaun drums, Dunnett snare & Paiste Signature Series Cymbals.

Comment

You're right Steve I did have the sets mixed up. Thanks. Any idea why the Pro's were discontinued? I posted this question and am waiting for some responses. I'm planning on buying that set but it's getting near impossible to find them brand new at a decent price. If they quit making them for a legitimate reason I'd like to know before I plop down a nice chunck of change for them. This is my first edrum purchase and I'd hate to start out on a sour note.

Comment

Go to Ebay and buy a kit. You can get a VPro there for around $2500...
                Roland V-Pro TD20 expanded with V Expressions
                Presonus Firepod
                Reaper
                Acoustic- Spaun drums, Dunnett snare & Paiste Signature Series Cymbals.

Comment

Juggernaut, the TD8 is fully compatible with the new v-cymbals (hihat, crash). The only 'shortcoming' is that you will only get 2 triggers on the new v- ride. Personally, I wouldn't want to use up more than a stereo input for my ride, and am quite happy with the bell/bow.

Comment

ALERT!!! The PD-120 is not compatable with the TD-6. Even in the snare input, you will only get 1 zone. I actually called Roland about this after trying unsuccessfully at the store. They confirmed my findings.

Comment

Originally posted by kv968:
                      You're right Steve I did have the sets mixed up. Thanks. Any idea why the Pro's were discontinued? I posted this question and am waiting for some responses. I'm planning on buying that set but it's getting near impossible to find them brand new at a decent price. If they quit making them for a legitimate reason I'd like to know before I plop down a nice chunck of change for them. This is my first edrum purchase and I'd hate to start out on a sour note.
                      Thjey were discontinued to make room for the revamped V-Concert, with the new rack clamps. No need to start off your e-drumming relationship on a sour note, just get a V-Pro, and swap the clamps and holders for Gibraltars, they're much better than the new Roland clamps, and they're cheaper. Pretty white pads, man, much cooler than the purple.

Stu

"Fry that sound effect, Moriarty, we're having it for breakfast"

Comment

Stu

I'm looking for a good price right now on some V-Pros. I like the white too. Like I said before, for the $800 or so difference between the Pro and Concert set I can definately get decent clamps and a helluva paint job. HAHA!

Comment

Working...
                        X