Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Yamaha DTXtreme demo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha DTXtreme demo

Just thought some of you guys might be interested:

Kevin, one of the guys here at Midwest Drum and Percussion (good bunch of people, by the way), was kind enough to let me try out his own personal e-kit that he had set up out on the sales floor. It consisted of a Yamaha DTXtreme module, 3 Roland CY-6 cymbals set up in the ride, crash, and hi-hat positions, 3 Pearl Rhythm Traveler toms, a Rhythm Traveler snare, and a Pearl Prestige Session (I believe) bass drum--all fitted with ddrum triggers. All the drums had the stock single-ply black mesh heads mounted on them that come with the Rhythm Traveler kit. The hi-hat pedal was the same type of pedal that comes with the DTXpress, not the new one that comes with the DTXtreme and really sucks ass from what I read on this site. Kevin mentioned that he had only one kit set up that had been tweaked to his taste, and that that kit would be the one I was playing (it was called "Horizon", just for the record). Some observations:

1. This is kind of unrelated, but I have to say that the Pearl Eliminator (red cam) pedal that he had on the kit was just killer! I could do 16ths on that thing effortlessly. I've got to admit that it felt better and smoother to me than the counterpart DW and Tama pedals, and I've been a diehard Tama user for years....

2. I've also got to admit that despite the current tendency to slag the DTXtreme, the sound and playability of this particular kit was top-notch, especially the snare and hi-hat. Buzzes, drags, and pianissimo playing all tracked exceptionally well on the snare--so well, in fact, that it was just about indistinguishable from an acoustic one. Funk patterns are usually a good thing to play in order to determine whether a drum module is up to snuff in terms of dynamic response, and it passed this test with flying colors. I have to be honest here: I thought Kevin had his kit set up on the floor because he was trying to sell it (another dissatisfied DTXtreme player...blah, blah, blah), but I think he was actually trying to show off his own little slant on electronic percussion. Got to give him props and say I was coveting his kit something serious that day!

3. One of you guys out there in Vdrums.com-land (I seem to have forgotten exactly who--my apologies) is using a similar setup with a Roland module. Looks like you may be onto something....

4. barrybonzo: you were absolutely right about the CY-6 being a "super hi-hat!". And with that I scratch the CY-12H from my list...

5. About the only negative for me in playing this kit was that the ride response and sound was very subpar. It just seemed totally out of balance with the rest of the set.

6. An interesting little side effect to using the CY-6 cymbals with the DTXtreme module on this kit was that you could hit the crash, choke it, and then trigger a splash sound from the bow while the cymbal was still being choked! This is not something I've been able to duplicate with my TD-8, and kudos to Yamaha if this is in fact a feature unique to the DTXtreme.

I hope you guys find this informative in some way. I know that this experience, brief as it was, has certainly changed some opinions I had about some products and methods of using them. I'm starting to think that the thing that's hurting the DTXtreme is the Yamaha pads, not the module itself. Combining it with Roland pads may be just the ticket--it certainly worked with the CY-6s. Perhaps a reevaluation of the DTXtreme is in order?

Cheers,

Mick
    TD-30 / SPD-SX

mick,
    Concerning the snare, the DTXtreme can only assign 1 voice to the rim. This means x-stick/rim shot is impossible. My other complaint is the crash sounds don't ping and build to a swell. Even the TD-6 has this capability.

Comment

Now that you mention it, cliff, you're absolutely right about the crash sounds. I did run into this problem when I demoed the DTXtreme and neglected to point that out in my post. Thanks for the reminder.

Uh, I take back everything I said about the DTXtreme ........
      TD-30 / SPD-SX

Comment

It hope Roland doesn't pull the CY-6 from the market and re-release it as CY-6HH (HighHat) for $245.00 !!

Comment

I finally got to play the DTXtreme last week at Guitar Center in Tempe. A couple of thoughts....
          Sounds- I liked the drum sounds MUCH more than the TDW1 sounds I had been accustomed to with my previous kit. These seemed more useful on the gig if I were to ever use these live.
          Sequencer- It was awesome. Many of you do not use it, I am just interested in a rehearsal kit. this sequencer seemed to blow the Roland away.
          Module-It sucked. Could not read the display. Could not figure out anything on it. It may have been a bad floor model. Time would probably correct the not piece of not understanding it.But....I just could not stand this module.
          Drum playability- I did not like the pads as much as the Rolands. They look nice, but do not feel good. Mesh replacement heads would correct this. Not certain. The kid at Guitar Center told me they were maple...who cares!!! How does the maple benefit the player?

The kid at Guitar Center told me $2000 for the floor model...a great deal. Still, even though I like the sounds and the sequences better...I can't get past my dislike for this module. I would like to try a Ddrum kit, but the lack of dealers scares me in the event I need service or support.....Looks like I am coming back to a Roland kit....not sure though. I would like to be excited about it...I was my first time through this process. I do look forward to coming back and contributing to the group. I will post more intelligently later. I have real bad strep, loaded on Tylenol w/codeine and have a huge 4th of July gig outdoors in the 115 degree heat....hope I make it back here....Later gang!
          Roland V-Pro TD20 expanded with V Expressions
          Presonus Firepod
          Reaper
          Acoustic- Spaun drums, Dunnett snare & Paiste Signature Series Cymbals.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Gardner:
            I have real bad strep, loaded on Tylenol w/codeine and have a huge 4th of July gig outdoors in the 115 degree heat....hope I make it back here....Later gang!
            I just finished a four-hour indoor gig in 98 degree heat (the air conditioning went out) and I am beyond beat. I feel your pain, my friend. I hope you make it back too! Well, look on the bright side: it's a dry heat! It's humid as hell in Kansas during the summer......
            TD-30 / SPD-SX

Comment

I read alot of drummer's quotes that the Xtreme is hard to use. Just my opinion mind you, is that if something is dead easy to use out of the box and all the programing is done for you, I tend to become bored with it that much sooner. I mean if there's no exploring to be done, I like thinking up new and different ways of using something. I love Bowie's comment that he and Eno would buy a synthesizer and throw the manual away and see what kind of grunts and farts they could pull out of it. I love using stuff all wrong just to see what I can make it do, I don't know how exactly it would pertain to edrums but it's the reason I bought my K2000r, I got tired of trying to make a copy of acoustic drums.
              Drumkat Turbo 4.5, Emulator X3, Superior 2.1, Roland Fantom XR, DTXtreme III, SPD-20 etc.......

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Wade:
                I just finished a four-hour indoor gig in 98 degree heat (the air conditioning went out) and I am beyond beat. I feel your pain, my friend. I hope you make it back too! Well, look on the bright side: it's a dry heat! It's humid as hell in Kansas during the summer......
                I've played in an outdoor Tent revival meeting in a small town of Kansas (Near Olsburg)during summer over 10years ago. Yes, it was very hot too then. But fortunately I am used to humidity as in my country it's so humid, Kansas could never come close in terms of humidity. But I could see all the Americans sweating a lot there..

Fon.

Fon.

TD8 with PD7's, 2 KD7's (From previous TD7)
                Tama Rockstar with mix of Sabian, Zildjian and Paiste.

Comment

Originally posted by jrcel:
                  I read alot of drummer's quotes that the Xtreme is hard to use. Just my opinion mind you, is that if something is dead easy to use out of the box and all the programing is done for you, I tend to become bored with it that much sooner. I mean if there's no exploring to be done, I like thinking up new and different ways of using something. I love Bowie's comment that he and Eno would buy a synthesizer and throw the manual away and see what kind of grunts and farts they could pull out of it. I love using stuff all wrong just to see what I can make it do...
                  Good point jrcel, although not R-ingTFM might make you ignorant of how to adjust the trigger settings, which could lead to really crappy dynamics and frustration with the module. Or you may have a nifty feature hidden in the module you didn't know about unless you read the manual, like some of the keystroke "shortcuts" in the TD-8, for instance.

Having a thorough knowledge of a system is a good thing. Artists learn the basic rules of color, design, and drawing so that when they break them, they do so intentionally, for creative effect. On the other hand, Eno's success has been attributed to his "non-musician" approach, to listening to what he plays, and to pushing technology past its usual boundaries (e.g. his synthesizer playing, tape-loop system, "treatments" ).

Gettting back to e-drums specifically, some want more "e" in their drums than others. The Bowie/Eno-philes will push the sounds to weird places; the tradtionalists will try to emulate acoustic kits. I doubt Bowie's remark is meant to be taken literally. My opinion is that he was trying to get the most unusual sounds he could by experimenting and listening, and that with today's e-drums, it's more helpful to know all the features and parameters to make the experiments pay off.

Comment

I don't mean to tell people to throw their manuals away, it's just an example. I know everything there is to know about my system inside and out, my point is, after you do the acoustic emulation, it would be nice if a drum system had enough flexibility to allow experimentation to some degree. The problem with out of the box turnkey systems is that they don't encourage curiosity to any extent. Midi is a boon to musicians, but if you never figue out how to use it, creativity is stiffled rather than encouraged.
                    Drumkat Turbo 4.5, Emulator X3, Superior 2.1, Roland Fantom XR, DTXtreme III, SPD-20 etc.......

Comment

I'm not specificaly talking just about sounds nessesarily, but about the control of those sounds. For instance, the Drumkat will allow me to use any of 119 continuous controller messeges plus non registered controler functions by way of either foot or breath or hand pressure on a pad. I can send and transpose channel messeges in any direction plus souund paths(pan, cc etc...) backward or forward. Auto play pads allow me to play chords and melody in a number of ways by striking a single pad once or multiple times or to transpose motifs or chord progressions by striking a control pad. Granted most drummers will never miss these types of functions, I just wanted to clarify what I meant. I want more than playing standard drums in a standard way, that's all I'm talking about. If you combine these things with a very flexible sound source, things can become very interesting and never become old hat. I just want to have no boundries on my creativity. I admit that it's a bit strange for a drummer to want to play chords and melodies or control lighting modules from behind a drum kit but I've become bored with being a metronome for a guitar player who can't count from 1 to 4 without getting lost. I wish that radio stations and music video stations would play some experimental music from the Lori Anderson's and Bjorks of the world instead of the same 200 songs we've been hearing for the last 30 years. Wow, where did that come from?

Comment

I don't know if anyone is interested or not but I do own a set of DTXtreme manuals. I do not own the module (at least not yet), so I am not versed in it's use. I don't plan to put it in PDF or any other format but if anyone has any specific questions you can email me if you want.

Rob
                        V-Club

Comment

That's a good point about external midi controllers, the Kat's midi functions are available through midi as is the Kurzweil Event Station. All you have to do is midi into it. The Event Staion is, I think still available through Starr Labs. http://catalog.com/starrlab/

[This message has been edited by jrcel (edited July 08, 2001).]

Comment

Sir if you think the bass note thing is a party trick, try listening to king crimson's P2 space grove.

Comment

Sir if you think the bass note thing is a party trick, try listening to king crimson's P2 space grove.

Comment

Working...
                              X