Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

hart adc?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hart adc?

I know this question has been asked, but no one has answered it, so I will try again. Has anyone tried them? If so how are they ie. volume, feel, acuracy, ect. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

thanks
    Kurt
    Kurt

Pearl drums converted with hart adc, roland kd7's, pd 120 for snare, various roland rubber pads, hart e cymbals and pads, td8, td6, 2 mackie srm450s and mackie sub. mackie sr 24-4 mixer........and always growing.

Me also, especially the dual trigger snare(ACD + mini surface trigger mounted to shell).

Comment

I've had em' for a few months now...Don't have the snare though...using them for three toms...

There are about as loud as a Remo practice pad, and depending on the head tension, you can do whatever you normally do on a real drum head..

The triggering has been really good...I havent really gotten in there to tweak it, and the only thing I'm missing right now is the positional sensing that I get with the Hart Accusnare...

Comment

captain54: thanks for the info.

Kurt
        Kurt

Pearl drums converted with hart adc, roland kd7's, pd 120 for snare, various roland rubber pads, hart e cymbals and pads, td8, td6, 2 mackie srm450s and mackie sub. mackie sr 24-4 mixer........and always growing.

Comment

Curiosity finally got the best of me and I bought one of these to try on a soprano snare I had lying around. My assessment: this product DOES DO what Hart professes that it will do, and pretty darn well IMO... especially considering its simplicity of design/use and cost relative to buying a separate set of trigger pads. In other words, if you already have an acoustic set you like but are toying with the idea of dumping them to go electronic, I see this as a better alternative because: 1)smaller investment in "E's", 2)you won't just "throw away" a good chunk of what you've already invested in your acoustics and end up with buyer's/seller's remorse, 3)very accurate triggering with very little acoustic sound much like the V-pads and 4)best of all, you'll still have your old acoustic kit to play whenever you want AND a new electronic kit to use whenever it best fits your needs... and they're both the SAME SET of drums... pretty neat! This also totally kills the "I hate the way electronic drums look" issue.

I tried 4 different heads on the snare with the ADC. 1)a heavy fiber coated Remo Legacy 2)a regular coated Remo Ambassador, 3)a single-ply Hart Kontrol Screen, and 4)a double-ply Hart Kontrol Screen. The regular heads make more noise (obviously), but I must say they made a lot less than I expected them to. The mesh heads made slightly more noise than my other Hart pads/Acusnare. I'd say tracking performance was fairly comparable with all heads... comparable IMO to my other Hart pads/Acusnare in accuracy (which is darn good). I say "fairly comparable" because the FEEL of the heads differ enough between the mylars and meshes that it tends to slightly "taint" the assessment. The mylars have a stiffer, less natural feel with the ADC's foam under them. Not something you couldn't get used to, but noticeably different than a regular acoustic mylar feel. I'd suspect the feel would be much the same as ddrum pads or possibly the Yamaha DTXtremes. The meshes FEEL better to me (very nice and quite natural, I'd say) and there doesn't seem to be the "difference" comparing the single and double ply meshes that is most noticeable on my other Hart pads/Acusnare. I think this is because the entire under-surface of the head is supported by the ADC's foam, so the extra stretch of the single-ply mesh is not a factor. In fact, the single-ply Kontrol Screens feel and perform very well with the ADC IMO and would be the preferred way to go on snare and toms (or all drums if noise is a major factor in your playing situation)since they are available in standard sizes along with the ADCs (in Interstate Music's catalog at least)... followed 2nd by the regular coated ambassador (if using mylar). Single-ply uncoated mylars might feel just as good or better, I just didn't have one to try. For the bass, I think I'd just use the mylar unless the noise is an issue.

Now, having given this fairly glowing recommendation let me add the following before anyone goes out and buys a whole set of these. As you may be aware from reading opinions on this sight, tastes and perceptions vary widely. My recommendation to anyone considering a purchase would be to do what I did and buy a single ADC ($54 from Interstate Music) for your snare 1st just to play around with to be sure you like what it does. I also highly recommend you try a mesh head with it ($22 from Interstate Music) to get a comparison not only to the noise and feel vs the mylar head, but also to compare performance and feel with other mesh pads like the Rolands, etc. This way, you cut you losses in the event you don't like them and worse case you end up with a (spare) converted e-snare to use with whatever set of e-pads you might ultimately decide to go with.

I really like my Hart pads. But, if I'd known then what I know now about the ADC's performance, I would have kept my acoustic kit and just converted. In fact, I am seriouly considering getting another acoustic set to convert just to have the best of both worlds option, even though I am so comfortable with the E's that I'd still play them 99% of the time. Either way, I don't plan to get rid of my Hart pads because I like them so much.

Finally, don't think I'm pushing either Hart or Interstate Music... just sharing information. I use Hart stuff and am very satisfied with it. I get Interstate's catalog several times a year and have found that there's just not much in the way of drum stuff that they don't stock. Their internet site www.interstatemusic.com also carries their entire catalog, not just a portion like most music stores. Also, it's the only catalog I get that has the Hart stuff.

Anyway, hope this fills in some blanks for anyone that's interested. Sorry to be long winded, but just wanted to pass on what information I could.

[This message has been edited by PGann (edited July 07, 2001).]

Comment

PGann:

great post! that was exactly the info I was looking for.

thanks
            Kurt
            Kurt

Comment

One other observation I might add as a potential minor problem with the ADC is that it appears to have a tendency to sag slightly in the middle since the foam is free-floating in that area without anything supporting it. In comparison, the foam in the other hart pads/Acusnare rest on and are supported by the base of the drum shell structure. I say this is "minor" because it can be easily fixed by putting a support structure under it that extends to the bottom head of the drum. A foam cylinder would be ideal... possible a section of one of those round foam "floatie-thingies" like kids play with in the swimming pool... just something to keep the middle section of the foam in contact with the head.

The effect of the sagging is diminished contact with the head which affects trigger tracking in that area of the head somewhat.

Comment

I'm really surprised (and glad) to hear the ADC's work with the mesh heads, cause Peter Hart himself suggested NOT using the meshes with the ADC's when I was first considering going this route...I'd much prefer the mesh head, just as its operating on the Accusnare.

A couple things I've noticed after doing more testing with these things:

1)I've tightened the mylar head about as tight as I could on the toms to see if I could get maximum stick bounce, and it seems no matter how much its tightened, the foam somewhat deadens the stick bounce off the head...the mesh head on the Accusnare to me bounces just right, pretty close to the action and bounce of an acoustic snare...

2)One of the reps at Hart told me that the ADC's will trigger and play just like the Accusnare cause its the exact same mechanism...I dont think thats true or maybe I misunderstood what he said...

3)The Positional Sensing still eludes me..I cant quite seem to get much variation along the width and length of the head, and no variation in the tone and dynamics..Its not that big of a deal cause Im using it for toms, but eventually I need to get this working right...I've also noticed a couple of hot spots on the head surface itself..

4)Riks Music is a great source for the Hart stuff...actually I'm going to be ordering some of the single and double mesh Kontrol heads to see If I can get better action on the toms with the ADC's

5)I used black automotive trim around the rims to deaden the rim clicks...its works great and cost me about 10 bucks...it also has adhevise attached to it so you dont have to mesh around with glue...

Comment

The ADC uses a REMO muffle for the support tray. All acoustic drum shells are not created equal ie: all 12" shells are not exactly 12" in diameter.If the shell is oversized, the ADC may "bow" slightly. It is a very popular product and have only had a handful of inquiries since 1993. If you try one as PGann suggested and encounter this issue, you might try filling your drum with "peanut foam" used in shipping. In the "old days" we used this method frequently to reduce volume when triggering acoustics, and it should support the ADC nicely.

If you need further assistance, e-mail me.

Thank You,

Peter Hart

Comment

Nothing like getting it straight from "the man" himself. Don't hold your breath waiting for Mr. Roland to show up here.

Captain54, from my observations your Hart Rep. is telling it straight. The mechanism is the same and as I attempted to suggest (without getting too carried away) in my previous post I would concur that performance is at least very close to, if not exactly the same (using mesh head) as the Acusnare which is most excellant IMO. With the ADC I did occasionally encounter very slight "mistriggering?" when hitting the center of the head using the mesh head, generally with harder hits. My assessment of this was that the slight "bowing" in the center of the foam was causing this and could be easily eliminated with a little creativity. Mr. Hart's suggestion certainly would do the trick. Again, I'm not trying to sell these to anybody, so I did not then, nor do I now want to get too carried away in my description of their effectiveness because my perception may well differ from someone else's. But like I said, I would have bought these in a minute if I'd known then what I know now... not that I regret having bought the other Hart stuff, because I certainly do not. What I do regret is having dumped my acoustic set thinking there would be no way for me to trigger it with anywhere near the same response as I could the dedicated e-pads with mesh heads. Now me thinks I WAS WRONG!

I really had thought the info for the ADC was probably "hyped". There was absolutely no testimonials on this site about them, so I shyed away. In so far as not using mesh heads with them, I would only say again I personally thought in my experience it worked extremely well and would be my choice over the mylars. Here again is one of those areas where I think Hart has a superior product alternative. I see lots of complaints from people talking about the Roland and Pintech mesh heads being to springy/bouncy. I don't experience this with the Hart meshes and really believe they feel as close to the real thing as you're going to get. I immediately liked the 2-ply better than the 1-ply when I tried them because they are stiffer and hold their tension better. But in this application using the ADC with full foam support under the head, I honestly cannot tell any difference between the 1-ply on the ADC vs. the 2-ply on the regular Hart pad (which does not have a full foam support underneath).

Comment

Working...
                    X