Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Recording products

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recording products

Just like to have another opinion ......looking into getting something better for recording. I was kind of thinking about a Yamaha ds2416 (DSP FACTORY) so I wouldn't have problems with my computer chuggin along, ....Anyone use one of these here?

My second option none computer ,880, 1680 anyone use these .....likes , dislikes...??? Thanx in advance
    ~REDMAN~

Something better than what? (what exactly is it you are currently using?)
    Steve

'I only ever quote myself - except when I quote someone else' - me

, plenty of , and , , triggered acoustics, , and a plethora of PA blah blah freakin blah...I mean does anyone care about the specifics of pedals, speakers, processors, hardware or anything that I'm using?? :confused: Hmmm, maybe this is an appropriate place to mention that I tried out a new cymbal stand the other day...

Comment

there are a lot of good products out there, it just depends what you need...

the Yamaha DSP card, I heard, was a ***** to set up...if you have a PIII, a G3 or G4 you dont have to worry to much about power unless you run millions of audio tracks and tons of effects...

once you get past the learning curve of the vs 880 and vs 1680, its a decent way to go, except a DAW seems like it has a lot more possibilities for expansion and data storage...

for example, I can run Acid Pro, Wavelab, Logic, Cakewalk, Gigastudio, various softsamplers and vst instruments and burn CD's within one environment all the price of a good used 1680...

Comment

I have the DSP Factory, and like was said, it is not easy to get around...AT FIRST. The installation is painless, it is the signal routing that gets complicated, especially if you are not using the right" interface, as there are everal pieces of software that will directly control the DSP factory card, each one looks different. If you know how to use a mixer with a patch bay and aux sends, you will be fine once you get your head around the thing. Go to www.c-mexx.com and find the manuals for c-console (there are two) and read them. They will tell you a lot about the card even if you choose not to use the software...one of them goes into all the effects and their parameters, so you get a good look at what you would be buying. The other describes how to use different kinds of effects and when, like compressors, compounders, duckers, etc...good reading (for anyone here, whether you want to get into this stuff or not).

I use c-console ($200+) with it and it is a dream, as it looks exactly like a mixer, it is automatable, I can run it on my second monitor,etc.

If you can get a good deal on the DSP Factory card, I'd recommend it. It records pretty darn clean and once you understand how to use it, it's very effective. The internal effects are useful, the compressors and EQ on every channel are indespensible, and, although software effects are the future, the future is pretty CPU hungry and I don't think ready for prime-time, at least not for me. I prefer the hardware DSP for AT LEAST the basic tasks...This leaves the CPU open for any plugins you might want to use.

Feel free to contact me or post here if you have specific questions. Be aware, however, that if you decide to go this route, it will EAT your time...both because there is a LOT to learn and because it is addictive.

redbrick
        My Updated Website: https://blades.technology

Comment

Digidesign Protools 001 with an Apple Mac G4.
          Industry standard.

If you need a demo there is also ProTools Free on a free download from their website.
          http://www.digidesign.com/ptfree/

www.royfulton.co.uk, www.zendrum.com ,Tempus Drums, Istanbul Agop, Regal Tip, Alesis DMPro, D4,Garageband, HK Powerworks PA

Comment

Originally posted by MustangMick:
            Digidesign Protools 001 with an Apple Mac G4.
            Industry standard.

If you need a demo there is also ProTools Free on a free download from their website.
            http://www.digidesign.com/ptfree/
            GIMME GIMME GIMME

Music was my first love...

Comment

Theres a few refurbished G4 400's coming on the market about half the price of a new 466mhz.

Piggy bank nearly there........
              www.royfulton.co.uk, www.zendrum.com ,Tempus Drums, Istanbul Agop, Regal Tip, Alesis DMPro, D4,Garageband, HK Powerworks PA

Comment

Thanx for the feed back guys, I am not that rich so therefor can't afford a new computer. That's why I was thinking dsp factory , it's for the most part self contained not using so much cpu . I'll probably still go that way.
                Hey redbrick did you check into Mxtrak for the dsp at all.

My computer is only a P2 400 ,using sounblaster live . I can only get six mono tacks or 3 stereo out of it which is a real drag. I want to get seperation kick ,snare etc. The way I have been doing it so far is recording midi into cakewalk ,then run CAL ,split note to track and then record the seperate pieces from that into audio.. pain in the ass and then I still can't listen to it all due to the six mono three stereo restrictions of soundblaster.
                Later guys.

------------------
                ~REDMAN~
                ~REDMAN~

Comment

Working...
                X