Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New CY-6 Cymbal Makes Super High Hat !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New CY-6 Cymbal Makes Super High Hat !!

Hi all...I ordered the v-hats weeks ago from music123.com and the kept telling me delays, delays, delays, earliest was July 20th...So I just received my two new CY-6 cymbals and thought, (lightbulb above head...) gee, these would make great highhats, and they do !! I played the new V-hats and I must say these new trigger cymbs make BETTER highhats (mated to the fd-7, of course). Only problem is how to mount them the best way. I put the cy-6 on a one of my gibralatr mini cymbal booms that I had for the rack setup and clamped it onto a multiclamp, onto the curved side wing of my Gib. rack.
    Question:It seems that I need an 'auxilary highat' mount thingy... or something like that to put it there correctly. It of course is designed NOT to mount on a standard cymbal tilter, only the Roland MDY-7U mount, which of course will not fit onto my New Gibraltar Rack.

Maybe it's just me, but I feel that the PD-7 (regular rubber pad) makes a great Hi-hat.

I don't have any problem with it, I cannot see and added value in the V-hat thingey at all.

The PD-7 does a splendid job, the rebound is similar to A-hats (as far as I'm concerned), it triggers flawlessly and what's more it can be choked (for some reason unbeknown to man!)

Having said all this - I'm just awaiting a call back from my local drum store with regard to the price of a CY-6 though, as an extra crash . . maybe 2. Okay, I might try it as a hat - just so that I know

It's always good to see someone trying 'something different' - I keep suggesting this to my missus, but she's quite reluctant!
    Andy
    TD-20, Pair of JBL-Eon15 G2's & Sub

Check out the demo tracks to hear my V's at

http://www.thebrokenangelband.co.uk/

Comment

Oz DrumR,

The problem I had with the PD-7 was getting enough volume out of it when I hit it with the shank. I could be crazy, but it only seemed to work when I struck the center and edge at the same time (hi-hat rimshot?). Hitting with the shank feels much more natural on my V-Hi-hat.

I did move my PD-7 to the right side of my kit. I use the pad for a closed hi-hat and the edge for a cowbell. Works great!

------------------
      Reverend Poppy
      Reverend Poppy

Comment

What mount could you use. What about the mount that the New Vhigh-hat uses?
        :rolleyes:

Comment

Originally posted by Oz DrumR:
          ...Having said all this - I'm just awaiting a call back from my local drum store with regard to the price of a CY-6 though, as an extra crash . . maybe 2. Okay, I might try it as a hat - just so that I know...
          Oz:
          The CY-6s are $79.99 each at Midwest Percussion plus $3-4 shipping.

Comment

Originally posted by Jgel:
            What mount could you use. What about the mount that the New Vhigh-hat uses?
            Jgel:
            The V hat uses a standard L-rod (like a tom) because it is designed not to swing. The CY-6 is designed to mount like a normal swinging cymbal. To really make the best use of the CY-6 for a hat, you'll need to find (or create) a short cymbal stand and mount, so that the cymbal can be set very low and close to the rack, and then it will need to be tightened in place to minimize swing and approximate the position and feel of hat to your liking.

Comment

Dr K . . .thanks for the info: the prices in the US are great, but I haven't found any places who will ship to Australia.

If anyone knows of any - please advise!

Andy
              Andy

Comment

Oz, I'm afraid we have the short end of the stick down here. Not to mention the poor state of the Australian dollar...
                Importing from the US (even if you could find someone who would) will also attract customs etc, then there is the warranty issues etc. It is a pain in the arse but I guess that is the way everyone else in the world chooses to punish us for living in God's country.
                Let me know what price you get on the CY-6!
                Steve

'I only ever quote myself - except when I quote someone else' - me

, plenty of , and , , triggered acoustics, , and a plethora of PA blah blah freakin blah...I mean does anyone care about the specifics of pedals, speakers, processors, hardware or anything that I'm using?? :confused: Hmmm, maybe this is an appropriate place to mention that I tried out a new cymbal stand the other day...

Comment

Hiya Stevo

The AU$ list price for a CY-6 is $250, I guess most stores will do it at between 10%-20% (not much I know!) off that making it $200-$225.

I'm going to have another play tomorrow - I'll get back with the price.

Andy

Andy

Comment

I am getting a Gibraltar "stationary X-Hat" mount thingy that threads onto a regular cymbal tilter - Put the cy-6 through the highhat "rod" onto the cy-6 stabilzer mounting piece (the little piece that prevents the cy-6 from spinning side to side)and then put the top part of the high hat clutch onto the rod down pressed onto the cy-6 ... it will hold it down nice AND make it appear that you have a "real high" hat !

Comment

Originally posted by dr. kildrum:
                      Jgel:
                      The V hat uses a standard L-rod (like a tom) because it is designed not to swing. The CY-6 is designed to mount like a normal swinging cymbal. To really make the best use of the CY-6 for a hat, you'll need to find (or create) a short cymbal stand and mount, so that the cymbal can be set very low and close to the rack, and then it will need to be tightened in place to minimize swing and approximate the position and feel of hat to your liking.

Pearl make a cowbell holder i think it is a xp75 or something and it werks very well on my rack, not sure about the roland or Gib.

John

Sonor Signature Ebony, Phonic and a DW
                      TD20 BK/ TD10/Exp, TD8, Spd20, Spd6, VCymbals etc.

Comment

got an "x-hat" (gibr) from Guitar center today. comes with tube like middle of a cymbal stand and then at the top is the thin high hat "rod" and highhat clutch attached to that. Works great. the top clutch part can be screwed down tigh against the top of the CY-6 to hold it steady. I really need to post some picts. of my custom pieced together setup one of these days, but I am waiting for the UPS man to drop off the 16" VISU-LITE red crash...

Comment

Working...
                        X