Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Monitor systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monitor systems

I realize there are several threads regarding the use of different monitor systems for the Vdrums, but would like a quick update on any new opinions. Seems the majority are using either JBL 15PAK, KC500, or JBL G2. Any other suggestion would be appreciated. The gig that concerns me the most is a rock band I play with where our stage volume is very loud. This may be in part due to the fact that I kick the **** out of the acoustic kit, but now everyone is used to their volumes being that loud. I want something that can handle the low end. Any feedback welcome.

Because of the problems I had with JBL EON G2's, I would most likely go with Mackies. They have some awesome powered full range cab's - SR1530.
    http://www.mackie.com/Products/Active/SR1530/SR1530.asp

Erik
    SEP

Comment

I would go with either the JBL eon g2 or the mackie srm450. Probably not the 15 pak or the kc-500 because they are only 150 and 180 watt amplimfiers. The g2 and the srm450 are both 400 watt biamplified speakers. They are very similar in specification and in price; really its just your opinion. One thing I would not recomend is the peavey impulse 500 (just so you know ) I got it because it was $50 less than the g2 and srm450, and also is 750 watts, but it isnt a very quality speaker. Hope this helps!

------------------
      Dave
      Dave

Comment

Hi Zilla,
        I play out in the nite clubs and I have two Mackie SRM 450's and one SRS1500(600Watt)sub and the CFX 16 channel mixer . I can't tell you how great this sounds with the VDrums,... it is amazing. You can crank it up and it really rocks the house with no distortion. The Mackies have RCF speakers in them which are the the same ones used by EAW. This is really top notch professional caliber sounding equipment, with a reasonable price tag. I promise you that you will not be dissapointed with the Mackie stuff. The only problem I see with the 1530 Mackie's is that it looks like they must sit directly on the ground and you can't put them on pole mounts to get them above the crowds heads, but if you just want something for your own monitoring then they maybe just what you are looking for. The SRM 450's are just a little more versatile in where you can place them. I put one in front of the kit facing back at me at with the wedge pointing up 45 degrees and the other one over to my right side a little to the rear, facing almost forward, also it's sitting on it's side like a wedge. The sub is right behind my seat so I can really feel the kick hit me. The total power is over 1500 watts of real power at the speakers. Again this is heaven on earth as far as electronic drum amplification goes.
        P.S. I also take a feed from my main board and pump the whole band mix into my system as well so I can hear everything. You won't believe you ears.
        Hope this helps,
        Bruce........

Comment

Thanks for the input. It looks like the Mackie SRM 450 is choice for my needs. I'll watch Ebay to see if I can snag one. They seem to be going for around $550-$600 each. I am already running through a little Mackie 1202Z for a submix. I have tried running through combinations of various bass amps that just don't seem to have the balls I want. I always welcome tips and advice from others.

------------------

Comment

JBL SR series, or Electrovoice TR series, or Meyer Sound Lab speakers. Crest Audio power amps, Mackie desk.
            Drumkat Turbo 4.5, Emulator X3, Superior 2.1, Roland Fantom XR, DTXtreme III, SPD-20 etc.......

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce:
              The sub is right behind my seat so I can really feel the kick hit me. The total power is over 1500 watts of real power at the speakers. P.S. I also take a feed from my main board and pump the whole band mix into my system as well so I can hear everything. You won't believe you ears.
              Ouch, Brucie! I hope you're wearin' earplugs/filters! Sounds louder than my old DW acoustics!

------------------
              Thank Ye,
              Alex.
              Thanx. Alex & me V's! http://photos.yahoo.com/flexapr

Comment

Bruce - I envy you.

Erik
                SEP

Comment

Just got my G2 (finally!) for $550 shipped. $^) Gave up on zZounds, and will never try to order from them again. But the G2 sounds great! It gets incredibly loud and sounds clear at home; haven't turned it up too far yet as the room is too small (13x13) to really crank it. But for practice jams, it handles my V's, our keyboard, and a mike inoput with no problems.

Someday I may want to get a second one, which I think will be sufficient for medium-large venues. It'd be nice to have stereo (and I'll have to adjust the L/R mix, which I've ignored to date!)

If I really strike it rich, I might want to add the Mackie SRS1500 sub and have a killer system! One question on the SRS1500: Does it have its own high-pass filter to pull the deep bass from the outputs and pass the rest to the other speakers, or do you need the mixer to separate the signals?

Comment

I have a pair of the Mackie SRM 450's and love them. I have tried a lot of other types (have not tried the G2's) and found the Mackies to be the best so far.

For Bruce: I have heard that the Mackies will have heating problems if you set them on their side like you described. Any problems?
                    Also for your band mix do you run an unpowered monitor line from the sound board into your mix in on the td-10? I have been thinking of trying this.

Comment

drmoze,
                      Where did you order the G2. I have been trying to find a SRM450 with no luck. Unless I buy two, I can't find a price cheaper than $749.00. Ouch!!

Also, sepdrums, you mentioned problems with your G2. What gives there.

Thanks and still looking
                      Dan

Comment

Hey Guys,
                        I love the G2 concept, and they sound great,
                        but, I've gone through 4 of them. The high end amp keeps going out. First I order 2 of them, I love em. .... Those to go out. They gladly send me 2 replacments, boom they go out too. I don't know if its just my bad luck or if they can't fix the problem. But I don't think I want anymore G2s.

Comment

The high end blowing out is common to all JBL speakers, even the touring stuff, and they're expensive to fix. I started using a couple of Peavey 210tx and they sound great, lots of low end. The phelonic diaphram in the Foster horn is $15 to replace, I'm cheap and so it made sense. I've had zero problems so far.

[This message has been edited by jrcel (edited January 05, 2001).]
                          Drumkat Turbo 4.5, Emulator X3, Superior 2.1, Roland Fantom XR, DTXtreme III, SPD-20 etc.......

Comment

drmoze,

Yes, the Mackie SRS 1500 has a built-in crossover at 120. Just run your full range stereo/mono feed into the sub and go out the l/r or l output. This is perfectly set up for Mackie 450s (of course!).

The gospel group I'm in uses a Mackie CFX 16 and a 1500 sub with an outboard power amp for our main speakers. The board has a sub output crossed at 75. The sub adds incredible punch, even though, in this situation, it only produces frequencies from 75 down (theoretically).

When I went to pick up the sub, the guys at the store hooked it up to a top shelf keyboard and two 450s. The keyboard had some extremely deep patches in it and we tried many of them. Everybody in the store came over to hear where all the sound was coming from. Absolutely remarkable! None of us could believe how loud, full and clear it was.

I can't endorse the sub, and the 450s, anymore than that. Worth every penny!

Jay
                            jg52

Comment

I bought a srm450 at interstate for 699. just before xmas. their web site said they were out of stock so I emailed them and they had one in their ware house. I ordered it right away because that was the cheapest price I had seen for them. I notice that they have jacked the price up to 749 now.

I want to get another one. Is it better to run them stereo [L/R output], or is it better to daisy chain them?

Kurt
                              Kurt

Pearl drums converted with hart adc, roland kd7's, pd 120 for snare, various roland rubber pads, hart e cymbals and pads, td8, td6, 2 mackie srm450s and mackie sub. mackie sr 24-4 mixer........and always growing.

Comment

Working...
                              X