Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Drum Machine recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drum Machine recommendations

In continuing my wrist-relief break from V-drums, I'm wanting to program some stuff without actually having to play it into the on-board sequencer. Hence, I need a drum machine.

I don't need anything too sophisticated, just to be able to program rhythms, esp. those using triplet-eighth notes in addition to the regular sixteenth notes. The drum machine will be running my TD-10 so sounds are not really important.

Would like to keep it under $ 200. I've been on e-bay and seen the Alesis HR series, these seem ideal. Any comments, extra recommendations?

Djourg

Doesn't the TD10 have an onboard sequencer?
    Drumkat Turbo 4.5, Emulator X3, Superior 2.1, Roland Fantom XR, DTXtreme III, SPD-20 etc.......

Comment

What about your computer?
      to v or not to v?

Comment

Hey DJourg, drop me an email.

~BIN

Comment

Originally posted by DJourg:
          I don't need anything too sophisticated...I've been on e-bay and seen the Alesis HR series, these seem ideal.
          Djourg
          Djourg,
          I've got the Alesis machine you mention. It will do what you describe. Although I haven't purchased a software program yet, I've tried many. They honestly offer many more options and offer a more user friendly interface. But if you don't need the bells and whistles, I'd consider selling you my Alesis and put the $ towards the CY6s I want to add to my kit.

Although the Roland sounds are generally much better, and certainly more editable, there are some interesting sounds in the Alesis that I trigger via midi. (A couple of splashs, a cowbell that I like, and a couple of bass drum sounds.) But the main thing I use it for is to layer sounds. (i.e. set the midi channels and volumes so that when I strike the hi-hat, the TD-10 gives me whatever hat sound it is set to, but the Alesis is also triggered and adds a little tambourine, etc.)

Come to think of it, it's pretty cool. Maybe I'll keep it. I'll have to play around without it before committing. Anyway, it really comes down to your needs and personal preferences.

Comment

A few points:

1) I do not own a home computer. I cruise this site at the office.

2) TD-10 has a sequencer,yes; however, you must record your own live playing...two problems: Trying to ease wrist problems and I would like to be able to program notes of rhythms I can't play yet.

I have other plans for the device; i.e. triggering multiple sequences...which gets to another question:

Can a drum machine/sequencer pattern be triggered by hitting one of the pads connected to the TD-10?

DJourg

Comment

Originally posted by DJourg:

Can a drum machine/sequencer pattern be triggered by hitting one of the pads connected to the TD-10?

DJourg
              I haven't tried it, but I don't see why not. If not, there are pedal inputs on the Alesis to start/stop a pattern (pedal about $5) and to advance/go back your selected pre-set or user created patterns. I'll look at the manual. Wouldn't be surprised if you could do it with midi settings.

Comment

Working...
              X