Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Tascam US-428/Cubase5/V-Drums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tascam US-428/Cubase5/V-Drums

hi

i have the v-drums td-10 (expanded) with the upgrade bass drum pad... and the Tascam US-428 (its described as a digital audio workstation controller and audio/midi (2 in 2 out) USB interface....

i also have a Roland pc-300 midi keyboard controller.. and a roland sc-88 soundcanvas...

im using all this on a intel celeron 700mhz toshiba laptop with 192 megs of ram and a 20gig harddrive

anyone out there using a set-up like this? im having problems with crashing... i know i just need to buy a G4... but i thought the tascam would help me in the mean time for a minimal investment.. and i could also use it with the G4 when i can afford it.

i dont have any amplification yet... seems the JBL eons are and the mackie 450s have been getting good reviews.... anyone have any suggestions?

also want to know what i can do to stabalize my computer system so i dont get so many crashes...and the famous "blue screen of death" which requires the 3 finger salute...

the US-428 is a strange USB animal.. surprisingly my pc's sounds come out of the outputs of the tascam... but theres no way to control the volume of the pc's sounds.. as far as i can tell...

anyone know what im talkin about?

[email protected] http://members.aol.com/petesapadin1

drop me a line if you wanna talk about this stuff..

i need help!!

pete

------------------

I'm not sure about that exact combination, but I CAN tell you that there is no reason for you to buy a G4! Such a misnomer.

I'm using a P3 with Cakewalk and the DSP Factory and I have no problems with audio and MIDI combined. Obviously, you are going to have to troubleshoot the system (preferably from a clean start).

I'd check the boards for the products you are using (sequencer, Tascam unit, etc). Check on Yahoo Groups and the company webstites. You are sure to find someone who can explain the problems that you are having. Also, make sure you have good stable drivers for everything. Did I mention - make sure the system is CLEAN. Audio/Sequencing programs can be pretty finicky!

Hope that adds something...just don't feel like you have to dump the PC for a MAC! Unnecessary and not more powerful, just different. Only do this if you really want a MAC and the related software.

Redbrick
    My Updated Website: https://blades.technology

Comment

The Mac can be more powerful that the PC, it's just up to you if you can justify switching computer systems. Since you're using Cubase 5, I wouldn't recommend it, unless you're planning on using a dual-processor Mac. There are problems with audio rendering on Cubase 5 on single-processor Macs. This problem shows itself that it plays an audio track back once, and then returns it as static, even if you save the audio, it's saved as static. Steinberg apparently really screwed this release up.
      If you're happy with the PC, stick with it, erase the hard drive, and re-install your OS and the audio progs from scratch.
      A clean system is probably the most important thing when it comes to audio software, a dedicated computer is best!

Stu
      "Fry that sound effect, Moriarty, we're having it for breakfast"

Comment

I have had both PC and Mac and PC is defintely a lot harder to get stable...

1)Have fast is your hard drive..??
        7200rpm drives run a lot smoother than 5400rpm....I run two hard drives..one for the operating system and one for recording and audio...
        2)What OS do you have....? I've had the most luck with windows 98se..
        3)I think you'd have better luck with a Pentium III than Celeron chip...

Cubase 5 is the buggiest software I've owned..some people had pretty good luck with it ....I didnt and use Logic Platinum now..

I have a very stable PC system now but it took a lot messing around with it and learning how to put the right components toghether...

Comment

Originally posted by captain54:
          I have a very stable PC system now but it took a lot messing around with it and learning how to put the right components toghether...
          What kind of motherboard do you use? IŽd like to know how to build a fast-stable PC like yours... thanks!
          to v or not to v?

Comment

thats to everyone for their 2 cents!

i dont know what speed my hard drive is.. i just had it installed a few months ago.. its a 20 gig... how can i determine my drive's speed?

right now i'm using windows me..... is that a bad idea?

as far as being better off with a PIII... i agree.... but i already have my laptop...

having a laptop was essential for me because i was moving around alot... so i thought i'd get a PC laptop.. and eventually when i'm ready to buy another computer... i'd buy a MAC G4 desktop.. and just use both. So this laptop i'm using unfortunately has to be a jack of many trades...

everyone mentioned a clean system... what does that mean exactly?

the wierd thing is.. that since all the audio and midi is coming into and out of my computer via the USB device... i thought things would ok on my laptop...

thanks again for all your help everyone...

so am i the only one using the tascam US-428 on the boards here??

thanks again

pete

Comment

As a Microsoft Systems Engineer, I can tell you to DROP Windows ME. Stick with 98 or 98SE. Or wait for XP, but then again there is the driver issue.
              :rolleyes:

Comment

Pete,

if you can trade in your Celeron laptop for a P III laptop with W98se, do it. Since you're kind of keen on going Mac, why not try and trade it for a bronze G4 powerbook (the one before the titanium, bronze keypads). Either way, G4 or Pentium III, you're better off than with a Celeron.
                Windows ME causes more problems than the Middle Eastern peace talks, get rid of it and go back to Windows 98se. That one actually works. And if you go Mac, don't go with OS X yet, wait until next year when the audio apps will run native under OS X, the classic environment doesn't cut it. OS 9.1 is what you'll want.

Clean system means nothing installed but your OS and your audio progs and drivers. No browsers, no office proggies, no fancy littel shareware gadgets, and no desktop theme viewers and **** like that. Only the bare essentials. Your computer will love you for it.

Stu

Comment

Ahhh... i understand.

trade my celeron for a p3...

where is that possible?

sounds great... i just never considered being able to do that...

whats this bronze mac you speak of?

i was thinking that if i really want to do audio on my computer, that a desktop is really the way to go.....

anyone disagree on that?

thanks everyone for your help.

pete

Comment

The motherboard I have is a VIA chipset Apollo...

Do a search for the Sounchaser.com site or the DrastikSolutions.com site....These are people who build PC systems for audio and they list all of the components they use in their systems..It will give you some guide for building a custom system...

the upside of putting together a PC system is that components are very cheap these days..especially hard drives and RAM..

the biggest difference in my system was when I put the second UDMA 100 7200rpm Seagate hard drive...only about $125 for 30G...Its hard to do everything on one drive and keep things stable...also, I turned off all programs, screen saver, virus detectors, while trying to run audio programs..frequent defragmenting helps a lot too...

I've never heard of anyone doing any kind of serious work on the Tascam USB unit...Its a relatively new concept that is untested...To me there are so many variables and things that can go wrong...Of course, this is only my opinion and limited to my experience and hearsay so take it for what its worth...

There is a program called System Mechanic from ILIO or OLIO (Im not sure of the spelling, try both)...you can download it for free for a 30 day trial, then its about $60..It gets in there to do some serious cleaning...registries, orphan dll's, etc...

Comment

Originally posted by Orlando Pete:
                      Ahhh... i understand.

trade my celeron for a p3...

where is that possible?

Well, kinda like selling it and buying a P III, some computer stores may take trade-ins towards a newer one. See what's in your area, you may get lucky.

sounds great... i just never considered being able to do that...

whats this bronze mac you speak of?

It's a G4 Powerbook, the ones they made before the current titanium Powerbooks. Black case, bronze-transparent keys. It's got the USB and Firewire ports, and it quite good for audio.

i was thinking that if i really want to do audio on my computer, that a desktop is really the way to go.....

anyone disagree on that?

Kinda yes, kinda no, a desktop is more expandable, of course, yo have your PCI slots, and probably 90% of all computer-audio hardware uses some kind of PCI card.
                      On the other hand there are more and more USB and Firewire preipherials coming out, the MOTU 828 Firewire system is fantastic (i just had the chance to fool around with it), and the idea of using a PC laptop or Powerbook is becoming viable. Plus, it's more portable (duh, Stuart!).

thanks everyone for your help.

pete
                      No problem!

Stu

Comment

Working...
                      X