Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Acoustic cymbals to match V-cymbals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acoustic cymbals to match V-cymbals

I'm building a hybrid kit based on the V-session. I love acoustic cymbals and no matter what Roland does, they can't match them (Don't worry I am not Roland bashing).
    Anyway...
    I found some Paiste Visions cymbals that are black (perfect match for the V-cymbals)
    BUT...
    I can only find them at one store on the internet and the are pretty pricey. Any suggestions? Have you seen any other black cymbals? Has anyone played on the Paiste Visions? You guys (girls too, Do we even have any female members?) haven't failed me yet thanks for the feedback.
    V-Session

Originally posted by scratchcat:
    I'm building a hybrid kit based on the V-session. I love acoustic cymbals and no matter what Roland does, they can't match them (Don't worry I am not Roland bashing).
    Anyway...
    I found some Paiste Visions cymbals that are black (perfect match for the V-cymbals)
    BUT...
    I can only find them at one store on the internet and the are pretty pricey. Any suggestions? Have you seen any other black cymbals? Has anyone played on the Paiste Visions? You guys (girls too, Do we even have any female members?) haven't failed me yet thanks for the feedback.
    I have a huge load of Visions cymbals (They've been discontinued since early 1999 and only available on special order)
    They're pretty dry in sound, short sustain, the cymbals speak and immediately die off, so I'd say they're ideal for combining with electronics, problem is you've really got to like the unusual sound they have. I think my 14" Power Hats kill,most others think they sound like trash can lids. They're my favorite cymbals of all time, period.
    Where did you find them? I'm looking to replace some cymbals which have seen a bit too much bashing over the last 6, 7 years or so... The cymbals cracked, but the colour coating is still flawless.
    No other company offers color coated cymbals except for the slight purple-greenish flip-flop colouring of Sabian's VFX cymbals, Colorsound cymbals was Paiste's idea, and nobody else picked it up.

Stu
    "Fry that sound effect, Moriarty, we're having it for breakfast"

Comment

Stu,
      Check out http://www.discountmusic.com/index.html they have them listed but I don't know if it is just an old site that hasn't been updated or they really do have some in stock. They have a lot of outdated discontinued stuff. I don't know if it is their specialty or what. I called and they said someone will call me back. I can't even find these on ebay. If I get a lead I'll post here under this topic. Thanks for the heads up.

[This message has been edited by scratchcat (edited May 25, 2001).]
      V-Session

Comment

Scratch, this is not meant as a criticism but...

I cannot help but wonder about choosing cymbals on the basis of color alone. Okay, you want black cymbals to match the V-cymbals. I guess that would be nice. But I can't imagine using color as a basis for something so important -- and expensive -- as cymbals, which are an integral ingredient to your overall sound.

Personally, I'd rather try to re-color the V-cymbals than shoehorn the only existing line of black cymbals into my set.

A plea for you to reconsider. Of course, it's your money, your sound; no offense meant.

DJourg

Comment

My acoustic drums never matched my cymbals why try with the v's? Some Sabian's would work great 2 14" crashes, 13" fusion hats and a nice 21" Dry ride. I will say one thing the bigger the cymbals the more out of place they look with the V's.

------------------
          Ted H.
          http://www.tocsinrocks.com
          Ted H.

Comment

A link with some tips on building a hybrid kit...

http://www.acousticdrums.com/ad_fram...free_frame.htm

Comment

No harm done gents...

I agree with you guys. The color is a bad place to start. But, it so happens that the studio where I play had a poster of these black cymbals, so if all other things were equal, I'll try for aesthetics. I do agree and thanks for the honest opinion. In all fairness, the Paiste Visions are high quality cymbals.

Stixxx,
              I agree with your comment about the size of the cymbals. I'm actually only looking for splashes and crashes and maybe a nice 18" ride/crash. Thanks again for the input guys. I guess I'll have to stick with the traditional looking cymbals for now.
              V-Session

Comment

I think there's nothing wrong with the look of acoustic cymbals with e-drums. Acoustic cymbals look much better than cymbal pads. And if somebody finds the difference in size a problem, use an acoustic kick with a trigger and the problem is gone I think. (that is, if you want to carry an acoustic kick with you )
                Music was my first love...

Comment

The coloured Paiste cymbals were mid-classed cymbals. I would never choose them of the color alone (although they are beautifull black) and from the sound point of view I would better have "broad" sounding cymbals - like the Paiste Line or Zildjian K cymbals - rather than right in your face cymbals which the Paiste Visions are. Certainly as the opposite for electronic drums.
                  Robert

Comment

Originally posted by puttenvr:
                    The coloured Paiste cymbals were mid-classed cymbals. I would never choose them of the color alone (although they are beautifull black) and from the sound point of view I would better have "broad" sounding cymbals - like the Paiste Line or Zildjian K cymbals - rather than right in your face cymbals which the Paiste Visions are. Certainly as the opposite for electronic drums.
                    Putt,
                    The Visions were NOT mid-class cymbals, they were selected models from the 2002, Sound Formula, Percussion series and Paiste Lines. I'll agree thought, that picking them because of their colour alone is a bad idea. You really have to choose cymbals for their sound, otherwise where's the point?

Stu

Comment

Originally posted by mcconaghy:
                      Putt,
                      The Visions were NOT mid-class cymbals,
                      I agree. I confused them with the first Paiste coloured cymbals (even forgot the name) which were 505 cymbals with a green, blue, red or black finish.
                      Robert

Comment

I know somebody who has a blue coated 18" 2002 crash.

Comment

Originally posted by puttenvr:
                          I agree. I confused them with the first Paiste coloured cymbals (even forgot the name) which were 505 cymbals with a green, blue, red or black finish.
                          Ah, you meant the Coloursound 5 series. They had some more finishes back then, I had a few cymbals which were half black, half white. Not too bad, but you got what you paid for back then. I remember seeing Jim Keltner with all white cymbals, not that looked weird...

Stu

Comment

I want Pink cymbals

Comment

Those Paiste colored cymbals always sounded "off" to me. They are different no matter what anyone says. BTW,I am surprised Roland made these new cymbals to look like they do, they sound nice but they look like someone took a Recalled Firestone from the dumpster and fashioned it into a "cymbal". Anyway, I there is a difference between a paiste 2002 from the mid '70s and the ones today.

Comment

Working...
                              X