Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Honest opinion on edrums - affirmation time!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honest opinion on edrums - affirmation time!

I think this question needs to be asked - the time has come!

Now that you have tried them – what is your professional opinion as drummers about the edrums?
    Please feel to cover all areas – modules, pads/cymbals, sounds, dynamic response (compared to acoustics), etc. Gathering from the majority of members on this forum, I feel that most of you played acoustics first and then tried the electronic drums and I’ am curious about your take on the edrums – old and especially new?

Since I started playing drums in general on an electronic set, I would really like to find out what the acoustic (as well as everyone else’s) drummers think about the whole edrums issue?

I understand the PA is a major factor, so please keep an open mind.

Thank you.

Batter up!

------------------
    szvook

[This message has been edited by szvook (edited May 13, 2001).]
    Studio

In my opinion edrums get an A+. I have been playing drums for over 20 years and edrums for about the last 7 years now. I have to say it was a little scarey playing out live with my D4 and Simmons pads; but fortunately technology caught up and now with the Vdrums and some of the other edrums out there they are as good sounding and dependable as the real things;(of coarse just a whole lot cooler). One other benifit is that I always seem motivated to play my Vs. I think this is in large part due to the versatility of the edrums and the ability to just sit and play quietly; something you could never do with acoustics. A side benefits to the edrums that I had is that I learned a lot about sound equipment. In the 70s and 80s I never had to deal with an EQ or gate or crossover etc. Now I know virtually every part of the PA.
    Only part of the edrums I have not gone to is the cymbals. I still use the acoustics for this. Dont know why; I never even really tried the electric cymbals; Just personal preference there I guess.
    Anyway, overall edrums are great and my acoustics will remain disassembled in a corner of the basement.
    Rob

Comment

I played acoustic drums for a number of years initially and made the change to edrums for a number of reasons.

One of the biggest problems I had with my acoustics was the volume. Having lived in apartments for a period of time my practising was severely reduced. I had to find a practise studio (costing me more money) to setup my kit.

The next problem I had with acoustics was trying to get a decent recording. I never had any really good mic's and the guitar players I knew only had one volume, bone decalcification!

The edrums solved these principal difficulites.

I like the variety of sounds and they never go out of tune! I can make the drum sounds to match almost any kit.

I have had a few modules over the past couple of years, TAMA TAMTECH 500, Yamaha TMX, Alesis DM5, Roland TD7 and now the TD10. They just keep getting better!

The dynamics of the edrum setup are still very limited. Subtle nuances of the acoustic kit are very difficult to reproduce.

If the Edrum kit is viewed as an instrument in its own right the shortcomings fade. We never make comparisons between acoustic guitars and electric guitars.

I am still pleased with my investment.

L8R folks!

Kelly Mercer
      Halifax, Nova Scotia
      Canada

My Youtube Channel!
      http://www.youtube.com/user/VirtualMP3Studio

My "home studio" webcam!
      http://virtualmp3studio.ww.com/

Comment

Electronic drums are an absolute home run, no question about it. The thing is, the ball is only traveling about 375 feet instead of completely out of the stadium as it should. By way of an awkward analogy, let me explain exactly what I mean by that:

I will be purchasing a new synthesizer sometime over the next two days or so. It will be replacing my old Roland Alpha Juno 2 and will be used in conjunction with my E-mu Proteus FX. My requirements for the synth were as follows: 16-channel multitimbral, expandability options, and, being the greedy bastard that I am, at least 1000 sounds built-in right out of the box. My price range was right around $1000.00, so I quickly narrowed the choices down to two synths: the Roland XP-30 and the Kurzweil K2000VP. Now, anyone that knows anything about keyboards realizes that Roland and Kurzweil are two of the heaviest hitters out there in that category, so you just sort of take it for granted that the XP-30 and K2000VP are going to blow away my punk little Proteus FX in every aspect, right? Well, since I plan on using the new synth as a multitimbral sound source, its polyphony was obviously important, and here's where the results may surprise you:

Kurzweil K2000VP: 24-voice (!)
        Roland XP-30: 64-voice
        Proteus FX: 128-voice

The point of all this, you ask? Well, I can't figure out for the life of me why these manufacturers continue to release products with obvious shortcomings. Of course, we've discussed this at length on this site, and I think the "Wishlist" forum in particular would be an excellent source of information for Roland (if they were wise) to consider for future designs. It's time for someone to start putting their finger on the pulse of common sense. Give the players what they're asking for!

The technology is here now for the ultimate drum module. So stop bull****ting us and build it, already.....
        TD-30 / SPD-SX

Comment

To continue my previous rant a little more, read the second review on this page as an example of a manufacturer that seems to have their **** together:

http://www.harmony-central.com/Effec...rville-01.html

Anybody catching my drift here?
          TD-30 / SPD-SX

Comment

The first thing I can tell you is, don't compare acoustic and electronic drums, you'll loose your mind. They are so different as to be considered separate instruments. They each have their place in modern music and both are wonderful at their respective jobs. If you are playing music that requires alot of versatility and varied styles, edrums are probably going to do the job the best. Here's an example, you're set list contains Pour Some Sugar On Me by Def Leppard followed by Love Shack by the B52's, the two songs have as different drum sounds as you can imagine. If you're using edrums you can have appropriate sounds by changing patches, a button push away. If you're using acoustics, you're going to have to settle for a well tuned drumset that might or might not sound good of either song. Plus edrums are fairly silent so you can practise any time. If you've just signed a recording contract and are going to hit the road to do 40 minuite opening sets, it's most likely going to be on acoustic drums, people are just used to the look, and beside ,if all the other guys out there are using beautiful DW kits, you have to compete with that as well. So if money is no objsct, acoustics, for everything else, anymore, I'd play electronics. In fact I do. PS, the K2000 has 24 voice polyphony, but there are 96 ocilators active at all times, so add the ocilators to the voices and you get you're simutaneous voice number.

[This message has been edited by jrcel (edited May 13, 2001).]
            Drumkat Turbo 4.5, Emulator X3, Superior 2.1, Roland Fantom XR, DTXtreme III, SPD-20 etc.......

Comment

Originally posted by jrcel:
              don't compare acoustic and electronic drums

Amen.

Comment

The first thing I can tell you is, don't compare acoustic and electronic drums, you'll lose your mind.
                An important question then to the seasoned drummers out there (and the question my teenage son asks me all the time) is - whether a new drum student can become as skilled a drummer by starting off with e-drums as his only instrument. It does seem logical that someone should always start on acoustics to learn traditional drumming and then explore electronic drums. But in my kid's case (mostly at the insistence of his quiet-loving, decibel-resistant parents), he started last year with electronic drums and is doing very well according to his drum teacher and high school band teacher. Getting the TD-10exp and V-cymbals recently has at least temporarily appeased his desire for "real drums". We don't have room for both sets and my impression is that having the ability to record his playing to MIDI and to accompany other midi music has helped him advance quickly. I'd really welcome your opinion. One thing is for sure - acoustic drums may be preferred in a State with rolling blackouts Howard

Comment

Jrcel, why shouldn't I compare e-drums to acoustic drums. They tend to sound the same, they have real looking pads, real working hi hat controllers, cymbal pads with different zones. It's just closing your eyes for the fact that e-drums aren't still perfect (unfortunately) when you say e-drums are different than a-drums. They are not. They are drums. Only with a wire.

One of the few really new instruments was the Chapman stick. Different concept, different playing technique, different sounds...
                  Robert

Comment

well to be honest with you I have both and the vdrums are great for practice late at night when the family is sleep. But I read a comment that a person wrote, what happens when the blackout hits? vdrums are out, Yes you are correct but have you thought about all of the other instruments? that same applies here. but the volume is a plus for the vpro set. it can be controled at all times vs the acustic set. just something else to think about.

Comment

The question: Can someone be as skilled a drummer if starting out with electric drums?
                      Well, I've been playing with acoustic for 10years before e-drums which I had for almost 6years. I would say yes and no and some cases, even a bigger yes.
                      Bigger yes because you can hit harder without your conscience of disturbing a baby next door inhibiting you, and you can
                      hear every aspect of your strokes more clearly than an a-drum,(esp the toms) unless your a-drum is miked and you used headphones. So I've improved from practising with e-drums in this sense.
                      However, for hi-hat responses, and cymbal responses, I don't see how a student can get the feel of a real hi-hat or cymbals from e-drums. It's just not the same yet, so I still have my a-drums for this reason mostly.
                      Unless the style of music just requires very
                      simple hihat and cymbal variations...

Fon

Fon.

TD8 with PD7's, 2 KD7's (From previous TD7)
                      Tama Rockstar with mix of Sabian, Zildjian and Paiste.

Comment

Electronic drums are my instrument of choice. I've been using electronics for most of the last 12, 13 years, and I don't think I'll ever go back to acoustics. I think electronics are more flexible, They're like winning the Premiership, the F.A. cup and the Champions League all in the same year.
                        Electronics have come a long way since the early days of hexagonal pads, funky, insect-like black racks (whatever happened to Falicon Design rack systems?) and analog sounds. The V's rekindled my interest for actually playing again instead of just programming. The Handsonic introduced me to hand percussion, which I had previously considered boring. I'm honest, I'm the guy at Sam Ash who's always hogging it.
                        I never got the chance to check out a Korg Wavedrum, no store where I lived at the time ever got one in I'd love one...
                        I love using these things, I love electronics in general, Korg Electribe beatboxes, the Boss PDA-kinda pocket synth, keyboards with lots of knobs on them. It's a strange attaction, but electronics have always fascinated me more than acoustics. Must have been that dude from A Flock Of Seagulls with the fancy hair and the blue Simmons...

My business cards say "Electronic percussionist".

Stu
                        "Fry that sound effect, Moriarty, we're having it for breakfast"

Comment

putt, sometimes I think you like to aurgue for arguments sake. It's an opinion, nothing more. At their most basic useage, electronics can be used like acoustic drums with similar sounds. The differences begin at the point of midi, in that, I can play an entire solo piece of music complete with chords and melody, and drums from my pads. Try it with acoustic drums sometime, even with triggers, you are still going into some kind of electronic device. The only thing the two have in common is that they are played with sticks and you can make one sound like the other and set them up in a similar fashion. They are both percussion instruents, I can't think of anything else. One is a membrane and cylinder, the other is an electronic sensor of some kind, but the membrane is not nessesary to make it work. Like it or not, they are very different, I see people start to have problems when they try to make them the same, I love the differences. It might help if you read my entire post and not just the first line.

[This message has been edited by jrcel (edited May 14, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by jrcel (edited May 14, 2001).]
                          Drumkat Turbo 4.5, Emulator X3, Superior 2.1, Roland Fantom XR, DTXtreme III, SPD-20 etc.......

Comment

putt, sometimes I think you like to aurgue for arguments sake.
                            It might help if you read my entire post and not just the first line.
                            We all understand that you are the one that argues so much, get a heated head from time to time and then run away for the discussion by just leaving this forum. (and then return after some time).
                            Robert

Comment

I think it's fair enough to compare acoustics with electronics. Especially when e-drum manufacturers try so hard to make their drums more and more like acoustics in terms of feel, response, sound and dynamics etc. Sure they're different too, but as long as the manufacturers compare them, I think we can.

So my opinion on electronics: not bad, but they still have a long way to go. I definitely prefer acoustics for feel, dynamics, no-false/missed triggering and I prefer e-drums for the range of sounds (not the quality), the lack of eardrum damage and the neighbour factor. In a perfect world I'd have acoustic drums...but they'd have volume control and I'd have no wrist problems, and I'd be really rich and 10 feet tall and I'd play like a god.

Comment

Working...
                              X