Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

TrapKat opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TrapKat opinions

For those of you who have owned or used a TrapKat with a Roland module (preferably the TD-8), I'd be interesting in your opinions.

I've been considering one for home practice due to its rather compact size and the availability of 24 pads. I'm not concerned about the fact that it doesn't look like a drum set. I'm also not concerned that it doesn't have the advanced features of the DrumKat Turbo since my main attraction to the unit is having a large number of sounds available without purchasing individual pads.

What I'm interested in hearing about is your perceptions of the feel of the unit (I'm used to playing on rubber pads) and its tracking ability. I'm also interested in issues related to product reliability, and whether you feel the ten primary pads are large enough to be used for tom fills (the DrumKat and DK10 are much to small IMO).

Thanks for your feedback!
    Doug
    Roland TD-12, Pearl DRX-1 tom and snare pads, Roland PD-8 pads for cymbals, DW pedals and stands, Pearl and Gibraltar hardware

Originally posted by DougM:
    For those of you who have owned or used a TrapKat with a Roland module (preferably the TD-8), I'd be interesting in your opinions.

I've been considering one for home practice due to its rather compact size and the availability of 24 pads. I'm not concerned about the fact that it doesn't look like a drum set. I'm also not concerned that it doesn't have the advanced features of the DrumKat Turbo since my main attraction to the unit is having a large number of sounds available without purchasing individual pads.

What I'm interested in hearing about is your perceptions of the feel of the unit (I'm used to playing on rubber pads) and its tracking ability. I'm also interested in issues related to product reliability, and whether you feel the ten primary pads are large enough to be used for tom fills (the DrumKat and DK10 are much to small IMO).

Thanks for your feedback!

Doug
    I owned a trapkat and it was very reliable but I HATED IT. It is very akward to play and the layout is nothing like a real set - even to just practice on it, I don't get the layout. OK if your just triggering or doing studio stuff but live - forget it

Compared to the v drums mesh pads the trapkat dosen't even come close. IMHO - save your money and buy a set of V's. Good luck

Comment

I've got a TrapKat and I love it! You can put everything where you want it, 24 sounds on every set, put sets on the TK or on the module or both, etc. I've been using it exclusively since Feb., 1996, full and part-time.

Just one note of caution: if you use a TD10/TDW-1 with a TrapKat, you won't get continuous hihat. You'll only get open/ closed/chick and splash.

Jay
      jg52

Comment

Originally posted by jg52:

Just one note of caution: if you use a TD10/TDW-1 with a TrapKat, you won't get continuous hihat. You'll only get open/ closed/chick and splash.

Jay [/B]
        Jay,

Do you know if the same is true for the TD-8? Also, does the TrapKat support the cymbal choke feature available on the Roland modules?

Thanks,
        Doug

Roland TD-12, Pearl DRX-1 tom and snare pads, Roland PD-8 pads for cymbals, DW pedals and stands, Pearl and Gibraltar hardware

Comment

Doug,

I think the hihat issue is just on the TD10/TDW-1. The choke feature works very well. Also, the Trapkat is pretty quiet when practicing with headphones or playing live.

Jay
          jg52

Comment

Working...
          X