Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Acoustech vs ConcertCast-ST Snare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acoustech vs ConcertCast-ST Snare

Has anyone compared Pintech's AX13S Acoustech snare with their ConcertCast-ST pads? I use a 10" CC102ST mesh pad for my snare and I'm thinking of upgrading to the Acoustech. I'm happy with the CC102ST but wondering if it's worth it to upgrade?

Thanks!

Pintech's Acoustic snare is MUCH better than their first few attempts. I would consider the upgrade.

Comment

I have an Accusnare. So far not to happy with it. Sensitivity problems, the drum that is. Can't use the sidestick cause it triggers out of control. Time to ship it back for replacement.
      K

[This message has been edited by Sky10 (edited April 03, 2001).]
      Kyle Davids
      Lefty's Hip Pocket
      My Inspiration

Comment

That is very unlike an Acusnare... Sounds like getting a warranty replacement is the right thing.. Acusnares are pretty impressive for electronic snares... I think you will be suprised when you get it fixed...

Erik

Comment

I just got one and have dialed it in nice , I also added some black rubber to the rims to deaden the click and it works great.
          The original Gig Pig.

Comment

Hello all,
            I am part of a group manufacturing a new line of Electronic Drums and Mesh Heads in the Baltimore area and I'd appreciate as much input as possible. What is "side sticking"? We are primarily using a DM-5 which I understand is not as elegant as the the Roland or Ddrum Modules, but our second zone seems to work fine. This is where I'd appreciate the input. Our rimshots are good and when we tested our drums with the TD-10 the progressive "Rim Tone" was also good. So what is the next issue?

Thanks a ton.
            We are trying to build "the better mousetrap" at about 40% the retail price (Currently $85.00 for the 10" two zone drum with the mesh head) of the Rolands and your help can give the product a nice final polish. The Drums and Head Systems are called "Zombies". Look at our stuff on the products area "A new manufacturer of drums and Mesh Heads", and on E-Bay "Not Roland V or Pintech" and "Mesh Drum Head for Practice or Trigger".

Thanks for the input.

Jim in Baltimore [email protected]
            443-415-4025

Comment

Hey Jim,

The td-8 and expanded td-10 offer side sticking on top of rim-shots. Side stick or rim click is when you play the rim by laying the stick across the drum and slap the rim. I'm sure you get the picture now? Not a very good explanation. Anyway, when you play just the head you get just the head sound. When you play the rim and head (rimshot) you get the rimshot sound. When you lay the stick across the rim, not actually touching the head (sort of bridge the stick), and slap the stick against the rim on one side you get crosstick. By the way, you only get this feature on certain snares.

One of the other problems with aftermarket pads is the positional sensing feature of the V's. The V modules give a different sound as you play from center to edge on the head. To achieve this a pad has to be able to be tuned to the module. There is a setting in the V modules where you actually tune each lug individually using the module so it knows basically where you are playing on the pad. If a pad will not tune the positional feature will not be reliable. A pad must be center triggered properly. Pintechs will not do this and I have heard pros and cons on the Harts with this issue.

Good Luck,

Comment

Originally posted by Ponch:
                Has anyone compared Pintech's AX13S Acoustech snare with their ConcertCast-ST pads?
                I have a hybrid setup for my teenager which uses Pintech drums, HH10CV pedal, VK10 kick (cheap and good), the new Roland V-cymbals (not cheap but very good) and an enhanced TD-10 (a fortune but indespensible). He had been using the CC102ST as a snare but wasn't entirely happy with its size. So we bought the AX13S (actually now comes as a 14" diameter snare that looks very similar to any chrome acoustic - perhaps they are changing the name to AX14S?) and put it on its own snare stand and it works absolutely great. He likes that it is a no brainer to use after playing acoutics at school, and has better edge sensitivity and range than the smaller CC102ST. It is really a bargain for such a nice looking and sounding unit. So we moved the CC102ST to a 4th Tom position and he now has something that compares favorably to a V-session set (at least at his level of play).

Comment

Thanks for your comments. I'll look into switching out the snare.

Comment

Beatnik, Jim's drums should do rim clicks and PS with no problem. The second piezo is in the shell, which is all you need for rim clicks. (Sensitivity etc. can be dialed in properly, I'm sure!) And, the head sensor is triggered by a round center-mounted foam pickup, which is all you need for good PS. I will check this all out very soon with my TD8.

Jim--I'll call you shortly! Had a very busy week, incl. a midweek trip, so I couldn't make it up to your neck of the woods.

Comment

Originally posted by Drummersdad:
                      I have a hybrid setup for my teenager which uses Pintech drums, HH10CV pedal, VK10 kick (cheap and good), the new Roland V-cymbals (not cheap but very good) and an enhanced TD-10 (a fortune but indespensible). He had been using the CC102ST as a snare but wasn't entirely happy with its size. So we bought the AX13S (actually now comes as a 14" diameter snare that looks very similar to any chrome acoustic - perhaps they are changing the name to AX14S?) and put it on its own snare stand and it works absolutely great. He likes that it is a no brainer to use after playing acoutics at school, and has better edge sensitivity and range than the smaller CC102ST. It is really a bargain for such a nice looking and sounding unit. So we moved the CC102ST to a 4th Tom position and he now has something that compares favorably to a V-session set (at least at his level of play).
                      I just got the very same drum...14"
                      I keep hearing that it will not give any positional sensing, but I hear it !
                      Maybe the drum is not up to the standards of a roland, but it is way cheaper and it's a real drum. It feels great.
                      I am thinking of using them tonight at my local gig.If not tonight I am using them for certain this week, thursday night and will report back .
                      The original Gig Pig.

Comment

The 14" model is older.The 13" model is the one being manufactured now. It works slightly better.

Comment

Originally posted by acidbran:
                          I just got one and have dialed it in nice , I also added some black rubber to the rims to deaden the click and it works great.

Please tell us about the extra black rubber you added to Acusnare! Where did you get it, how did you cut and adhere it? Funny thing, I noticed that my rim has a slight crack in it (I just turned my snare a few inches so I won't hit the cracked spot again)...

Thanks in advance.

My Hart Dynamics GigaPro (vintage 1999)

Comment

antinucci,

I purchased a black rubber rim for my CC102ST called "SilentRimz" from Rock Bottom Music. It comes in various sizes. It goes on easy and works well. I had to increase the rim sensitivity a little on my TD-8 after it was installed.
                            www.rockbottommusic.com
                            1-888-870-8845

Comment

Originally posted by cliff:
                              The 14" model is older.The 13" model is the one being manufactured now. It works slightly better.
                              Hi Cliff,
                              Well, I just bought an AX13S that was 14 inches! To check on the situation, I called Pintech and they said, "We ship 13" when we get those in and we ship 14" at no extra charge when we get those in. Currently we are shipping 14 inch"
                              Talk about a marketing plan! No wonder there is customer confusion. I always thought their motto should be "Great drums, no instructions". They are the anti-Roland.
                              ps - he also said that the drum does do positional sensing with the TD-10. I asked him whether to set it as a "PD120 positional" and he said no, "just tweak the settings"!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X