Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alesis DMPro now HART's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alesis DMPro now HART's

http://www.harmony-central.com/News/...sis-Reorg.html

Doesn't look good for alesis modules. Pads are one thing, but drum brains?

Maybe if Roland corners the market in electronic drums, they'll be able to charge whatever they want to as a monopoly. You know, if that happenes and the price stays at $4000-5000, I'll just stop buying edrums products all together. It's a sad day for free enterprise.

[This message has been edited by jrcel (edited April 09, 2001).]
    Drumkat Turbo 4.5, Emulator X3, Superior 2.1, Roland Fantom XR, DTXtreme III, SPD-20 etc.......

Comment

I read the announcement to say they're just handing of the "Drum Set" to the Hart folks, but that the DMPro module would stay under Alesis.

Comment

I agree with Jason. I wouldn't read too much into that release. Personaly I feel Hart would do a great job at taking over that kit. I think they deserve (aswell as Pintech) the right to attcak the market just as strong as Roland. They were offring these e-drum options just as long, if not longer than the V-Drum. Infact in some respects they make a better product than Roland. They have chosen not to focus on propritory products and to give us drummers true options!!! Guitarists have had that for eons, why not us.
        As far as the module is concerned, I hope they don't drop that too, because that is a really good piece of gear! But I am not too worried because, they started it all with the D4, and that module set a major standard. And they kept it out there for a long time until they had the DM5, but they even took it one more step with the DMPro. They added all the feature that this here e-drummer wanted. The Soundbridge software ROCKS!!! So to me if they decide to mess with their drum products, then they would be making a real bad choice, unless they came out with something better.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE ROLAND products. Let me repeat that for all the Roland fanatics on this board.........I LOVE ROLAND products. But monopolys are no good!!!!!! Roland makes a good product, but as far as price is concerned they have always been expensive. Too expensive in my opion. And that has nothing to do with the product, just the prices has done it's form of hampering the advancement of eletronic drumming. I am absolutely in "LUST" for the new V-Session Kit, but the price...........OUCCCCCH!!
        Let's put it this way.....DDRUM. For those youngins' on this board. There once was a unit called the DDRUM 3. Now I can remember that when it came out it was, and I quote, "The Rolls Royce of electronic perc." And all opions aside, it was, for a long time. But they never budged on the price! Never! $5,000.00!!!! And it was like that for years, even with the previous models of the DDrum. And this almost cost DDRUM there own demise! But even they relized they needed to re-tool thier attitude as far as price verses the product to stay competitive in this market.
        I think we need really explore and support the e-drum options before we jump in and break our pocket books for the company that has the biggest ad budgets. Look Roland is not gonna budge on this, they see this Alesis thing as an advantage and that they are doing what they are supposed to do sell musical instruments. But isn't ironic that the new V-Session costs the same as the old DDrum 3.......and it's red and black colored as well!!!!

I know I am long winded here, but I don't post unless I really have something to say.
        Matt "The Gladiator DP" Saunders

Comment

To add to this - Hart is handling the marketing for the DMPro kits right now. They are offering some specials on the kits either with or without DMPro modules, and also have some "hybrid" kits where they have added an Acusnare & stand, etc.
          Hart has always manufactured the DMPro kits for Alesis, but it looks like they are going to handle the marketing end.
          I think it is a great opportunity for Hart to expand their name more directly into the market - their products are excellent.

Erik
          SEP

Comment

Originally posted by sepdrums:
            To add to this - Hart is handling the marketing for the DMPro kits right now. They are offering some specials on the kits either with or without DMPro modules, and also have some "hybrid" kits where they have added an Acusnare & stand, etc.
            Hart has always manufactured the DMPro kits for Alesis, but it looks like they are going to handle the marketing end.
            I think it is a great opportunity for Hart to expand their name more directly into the market - their products are excellent.

Erik
            SEP
            I respectfully disagree here, but then again you are at the "retail" end of the market, so perhaps you've got a different viewpoint.

I thought the great thing about the Hart/Alesis connection was the fact that the product was starting to get advertised and was appearing in stores.

Prior to this, Hart was sort of a "Botique Brand", people that are serious about electronic percussion might have heard of them, but the average drummer looking for a E-Kit down at the local guitar mart had never heard of Hart, and the Drum guy there certainly wasn't going to suggest a product his store didn't carry.

I had recommended checking out the Hart stuff to several drummers, whose immediate response was, "where can I see and play a Hart kit".

Well for a while that answer was - "check out the Alesis kit, the drums are made by Hart", but now Hart will still be stuck with their limited distribution chain (not their fault, it's got to be hard to break into some of these markets, especially with the chain and catalog stores becoming so dominant).

That and the advertising, I imagine that Hart'a ad budget is about what Alesis spent on Gourmet coffee for the office in a week. There is simply no way that Hart can maintain a large ad presence like the Alesis kit would have done.

The impression that I got was that Alesis had committed to buying/marketing a certain number of the Hart kits, but now that deal is off.

Higher sales volume would have benefited Hart and their customers as the profits from Alesis kits would have allowed them to put more $$$ into their own facility, and maybe even allowed them to lower prices some on their own products.

I think Alesis has been pretty slimy about this whole thing, if you go to their website, there is no indication that things are amiss - the Harmony Central press release is not on their own site!

Frankly I think Alesis was not going to say anything, but some ex-employees started talking I imagine, as I've been reading about Alesis troubles on usenet for some time.

They got "outed" rumors were swirling all around, so they had to put out something.

What I think was really cheesy of them was to announce a 24 track hard disc recorder at NAMM, promise a delivery date of April, let dealers take orders and deposits, full while knowing they were having problems and that that product might not make it to market at all, and certainly wouldn't make it by April.

Hopefully Hart didn't get "burned" in this deal and have to take back several thousand "Alesis" kits that he was waiting to be paid for...

Jay Storey

Comment

What did really change? Hart already manufactured drumpads for the Alesis kit
              Robert

Comment

Jay - I agree!

Erik

Comment

Working...
                X