Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Extra pads after V-Cymbal, how to use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extra pads after V-Cymbal, how to use?

What are people doing with PD-9 and PD-7 pad's replaced by V-Cymbals?

Since TD-10 doesn't have any more inputs and if Aux11 is being used for V-Cymbal ride, that leaves only Aux12 open.

If all inputs on TD-10 are dual trigger and using single trigger pads, like my PD-80's has anyone thought of using a "Y" cord to the toms and pluging in PD-7 or PD-9 pads too? You won't have duel trigger PD-7 or PD-9 pads, but more single trigger toms. Can this be done?

It would look like this:

PD-80 ->-\___ TD-10 Tom 1-4 input
    PD-7 ->-/

Thanks,
    Steve

Do a search for the word "shack."

BINARY

Comment

Thank you for pointing me to these long, but informative threads. I don't think the "shack attack" adapter is my answer, but I'll give it a try. I'm looking for two drum assignments, one for each pad. Not a different sound the harder it's struck.

Comment

One option, albeit not necessarily cheap, is to get something like an Alesis D4 ($200 US used)(all mono trigger inputs) or an Alesis DMPro ($700 new) (10 stereo inputs, 4 mono inputs)

Then you have a couple options - make the D4 just trigger TD10 sounds through the percussion group using MIDI, or you can actually mix in D4 sounds with your TD10 sounds, using a mixer.

A loonnng time ago there was a unit called a Midi Kat or something like that and all it did was act as a drum-trigger to MIDI interface. It had no build in sounds itself. But with something like 10 trigger inputs you could hook it up to any drum machine/sampler and have a decent kit (for the time).

Why doesn't Roland, Hart, or one of the other big companies just put out an extension module (rackmountable) that does just that? Accepts 1/4" stereo or mono jacks from drum triggers and converts them to midi signals. Naturally it would have all the appropriate settings for customizing sensitivity, xtalk, etc etc. 64 Patches, and it wouldn't need much more than that. I can't immagine it going for more than $200, since there aren't any sounds or upgradability built into it. Oh, it should definitely be able to recognize pads like the PD120/PD9's as well as old style single trigger pads/cymbals.

Comment

BTW, the Kat product was called a MidiKiti - I can't find any pictures of it on the web, But I did use one for a few months with an old band that had one. I just remember it worked great. We MIDI'd it up to a Roland R8M and it sounded great at the time.

I also forgot to mention in the last post that I use a D4 for my Pintech single trigger cymbals. They are the really cheap black ones... for big crashes they work just fine. If you ahve any questions about this kind of setup let me know.

Ciao

Comment

Aha!
            http://junior.apk.net/~tofu/pix/midikitipro.jpg

This guy seems to have a lot.. LOT of gear in his studio.. incredible -

Sorry, it's friday night and I'm bored

Comment

Hart is first and foremost a pads & cymbals designer/manufacturer and they seem to want to stay just that for now. And their hardware is very good as well.

------------------
              szvook
              Studio

Comment

Right, I understand that.. but it wouldn't be that far of a stretch for them to say "And while you're buying some of our cymbals for your vkit, but one of our expansion input modules so you're not taking up trigger inputs on your main unit!"

[This message has been edited by Louis (edited April 07, 2001).]

Comment

Originally posted by Louis:
                  Right, I understand that.. but it wouldn't be that far of a stretch for them to say "And while you're buying some of our cymbals for your vkit, but one of our expansion input modules so you're not taking up trigger inputs on your main unit!"

A good point Louis, no doubt. I would recommend bouncing your idea(s) off Hart. They are really cool guys and are always open to suggestions and ideas. There has been a post from a Hart representative about a month ago to contact them for any feedback, questions and suggestions.

------------------
                  szvook
                  Studio

Comment

Originally posted by Louis:

Very good idea. I think what the market really needs is a module like the old Yamaha DTS-70, or the MIDIKiti, a decent Drum-To-Midi interface with maybe internal presets for triggering TD-8/10s, Ddrum 4, DM-Pro, DTX, etc.
                    Stu
                    "Fry that sound effect, Moriarty, we're having it for breakfast"

Comment

Hello everybody! This is acutually my first post to the board. I spent the past year reading and privately observing all the opinions and ideas. I have been a e-drummer for a long time,(Since the Tama TechStars..remember those..), anyway when I came home from practice tonight, logged on, and read this post about needing a dedicated trigger-to-midi interface.......well ...it caused me to finaly jump into this e-drummer melting pot called vdrums.com and put in my 2 cents.
                      All I can say.....HELL YES!!!!!! I think that a dedicated trigger-to-midi is something that is sorely lacking right now on the scene! This is a major hole that needs to be filled. And whoever does it first will make a lot of money. As e-drummers we have some options now available to us that weren't there before. Its a really exciting time for electronic drums..."we come a long way baby!".....but one thing is missing....a dog gone trigger-to-midi converter!!!!!! Its a shame because really the only ones that are available to buy new is... a Drum Kat 3.8 or Turbo 2000 from www.alternatemode.com ,(this is really the be all end all for trigger-to-midi interfacing...awesome.. powerful...should be illegal for a drummer to have that much midi power. But exspensive as hell!! I you find one used...BUY IT!!!!) or you can get a Alesis DM5 or DMPro, I cannot atest to the midi power, but they do make good trigger to midi interfaces. The DM5 is cheaper of the two (about $325 new)...just consider the internal sounds as a bonus! The DMPro, same deal but pricey. For the same amount of cash you can get a Roland TD-8!
                      Will someone please fill this void!! If you find a MidiKitti on Ebay...But It!! Aphex even made one too...it was called a Aphex Impulse....the was a real cool unit too!

Oh well....if anybody out there wants to become another Greg Mackie.....here's you chance..."build it and they will come!"
                      Matt "The Gladiator DP" Saunders

Comment

Hello Matt and welcome to the de-lurking world . I have been thinking about this too for quite some time that I wouldn't think it would be that hard (although for me impossible) for someone who knew electronics that they could come up with a rock bottom no frills Midi Trigger. Right now I actually happen to have extra imputs on my second brain (TD-8) and also I have an SPD-20 as well, along with my HPD-15 but before I started acquiring extra brains I was thinking about this concept quite a bit. BTW I still have a set of Techstars with 8 pads, a couple of brains plus a microphone trigger unit that I am going to sell on E-Bay hopefully soon .

Brian Kidd

Comment

Working...
                        X