Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Best eCymbals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best eCymbals

I'm interested in eCymbals. I've heard a lot of not-so-complimentary things here about the V-Cymbals. I have also heard a few recommendations for better products. I've been to the sites to do a little homework, and here's what I've found:

Hart Dynamics
    Their Web site doesn't have any details on their eCymbals II, which are the ones that look like actual cymbals. The regular eCymbals don't look like a great replacment for the standard Roland pads.

Visu-lite
    Ride and china are not chokable. Ride requires 2 inputs, even with the TD-10. Also, I don't understand the Studio Series. Same cymbals, different materials?

Pintech
    Not enough details about their TC Series Trigger Cymbals on their Web site to make an educated decision. Great price though!

Does this shed any light on who makes the best eCymbals for a V-Pro? It sure doesn't help me a bit. Just gives me a few things to be wary of. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

------------------
    Reverend Poppy
    Reverend Poppy

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Reverend Poppy:
    [B] "Their Web site doesn't have any details on their eCymbals II, which are the ones that look like actual cymbals. The regular eCymbals don't look like a great replacment for the standard Roland pads."

Wait....!!!

Actually, the Ecymbals-II is elucidated to some degree on the Hart site. The actual cymbals that Hart is referring to that play and feel like acoustic are the Hi-hat & Ride. Both are made from alloy metal to simulate the feel of acoustic Hi-hat & Ride when the drumstick hits the surface. Splash and Crash Ecymbals-II are made from unbreakable polymer and use Aquarian cymbal springs to enhance feel and movement of real Splash and Crash cymbals which can be adjusted for a looser or tighter movement response.

The regular Ecymbals (I believe you are referring to the X series) do have a different look to them, not like the real thing and some additional changes from the Ecymbal-II. Such as choke, playing surface, size. But the movement is the same on the crash & splash series-X as the Ecymbals-II.
    All Ecymbals-II series look like the real thing and feel like the real thing.

With the alloy metal Ride, the bow and the bell can be triggered separately. I am using a TD-8 and I plug the ride into AUX 11/12 input and use the ride samples with an X to get the bell to trigger the bell sounds and the bow to trigger the bow sounds. My Ride is actually the very first model; it does not have the new additional bell top that is a new addition to the Hart Rides and my Ride works the same as the newer version.

I prefer Hart to Roland, hands down !!! The Hart is a perfect substitute for Roland (if not better in my opinion), whether its the Ecymbal-II or Ecymbal models, both will work. The cost does not hurt as much as the Roland line.

I am going to be getting the new Crash Ecymbal-II that was shown at NAMM that has the choke feature to it. I personally like the Ecymbal-II feel and look over their X series models.

Sincerely,

------------------
    szvook

[This message has been edited by szvook (edited April 04, 2001).]
    Studio

Comment

The new V Cymbals are the BEST on the market despite some negative reviews you may have read. Please remember, most equipment is not set up properly in stores. Look at the unanimous positive reviews from NAMM where the cymbals were dialed in correctly.

I give them the BEST rating based on the following:

ALL the cymbals have the "choke" feature.

The crash and ride "move" very realistically.

They are super quiet.

They are sensitive enough to be played with brushes. Even if you don't use brushes, sensitivity is very importiant to pick up nuances.

The 3 zone ride is outrageous! It IS the closest to the real deal available.

Comment

As alternatives to Roland, who obviously has the edge with their new V-cymbals, Harts are very nice, look good, and are somewhat cost effective.

Pintech TC cymbals are very inexpensive and best used as crashes or efx. The sensitivity is just not there for use as a hat.

Ddrum cymbals are excellent when used with ddrum modules. Their hi-hat cymbal/control is a very cool conversation piece and actually feels pretty good.

I am not familiar with Visulite cymbals but have heard good things...I have used their old acoustic drum conversions (yes - they used to make them) but they were junk IMHO.

Drum Tech has some new cymbals coming out soon, not sure exactly when... Played them at NAMM and was impressed.

There are some pics of Hart and DrumTech cymbals from my NAMM picture collection here: http://www.sepdrums.com/NAMM.html

Erik

Comment

My vote for best bang-for-the-buck is the Yamaha PCY80S: 2 sounds, chokeable, quiet, decent feel, and only about $60 new.

Mike

Comment

Thanks for the replies so far. One of the things that concerns me is having to use two inputs to get the same features (two sounds & chokable) the Roland pads have using only one input.

How do the Hart and Yamaha products handle this? Do they require two inputs to get the features, or only one?

------------------
            Reverend Poppy
            Reverend Poppy

Comment

Hart cymbals require one input, when using the right input from the TD's.

------------------
              szvook
              Studio

Comment

I'm not sure about the Hart, but the Yamaha's require a single stereo input to handle the 2 zones and choke feature. If you add a PCY10 bell trigger you effectively get a 3 zone cymbal but then you need an extra input.

Mike

Comment

Hart and Visu-lite chokables require only one input. You do loose the rim sound you get from the pd7/9 pads. Both Hart and Visu-lite rides require two inputs to access the bow and bell sounds. You can get the bell to sound with one input just not consistently, takes a hell of a whack to trigger it.

Comment

Originally posted by BtnkBndt:
                    Hart and Visu-lite chokables require only one input. You do loose the rim sound you get from the pd7/9 pads. Both Hart and Visu-lite rides require two inputs to access the bow and bell sounds. You can get the bell to sound with one input just not consistently, takes a hell of a whack to trigger it.
                    With the Hart alloy metal Ride, the bow and the bell can be triggered separately. I am using a TD-8 and I plug the ride into AUX 11/12 input and use the ride samples with an X to get the bell to trigger the bell sounds and the bow to trigger with one cable.

I dont have to hit the bell hard at all and I get perfect response from the ride as long as the ride sample has the "X" in it for the bell and bow sound difference. Work like a charm for me.

------------------
                    szvook

[This message has been edited by szvook (edited April 04, 2001).]
                    Studio

Comment

Originally posted by Reverend Poppy:
                      Thanks for the replies so far. One of the things that concerns me is having to use two inputs to get the same features (two sounds & chokable) the Roland pads have using only one input.

How do the Hart and Yamaha products handle this? Do they require two inputs to get the features, or only one?

I use TD-10 and I need to use the ride and aux1 input for Ecymbal II ride.

I will choose Harts product. (just my opinion).here is the reasons:

(1)cost effective.
                      (2)good looking
                      (3)realistic feeling

[This message has been edited by drummercat (edited April 04, 2001).]

Comment

Originally posted by szvook:
                        With the Hart alloy metal Ride, the bow and the bell can be triggered separately. I am using a TD-8 and I plug the ride into AUX 11/12 input and use the ride samples with an X to get the bell to trigger the bell sounds and the bow to trigger with one cable.

I dont have to hit the bell hard at all and I get perfect response from the ride as long as the ride sample has the "X" in it for the bell and bow sound difference. Work like a charm for me.

Works like a charm because you are actually using two of the twelve inputs of the TD-8. Aux11/12. Most would consider this loosing an input because they normally would split these to two seperate pads. You cannot trigger consistently only using the ride input. What I was saying is that if a piezo/fsr input is used it takes a good whack to trigger the bell/rim sound. I sometimes forget the TD-8 only has ten input jacks as compared to the TD-10's twelve.

Comment

BtnkBndt,

You are very much right on the money. The ride input will not trigger consistently. I also forgot that I was describing my set up and how I have my Ride set up.

The amount of inputs on the TD-8 will play a factor for a drummer. In my case I am OK with the number of inputs from the TD-8 since I use 5 pads from my Simmons module to add to the Hart pads/cymbals with the TD-8.

This way I can use the AUX 11/12 input for the Ride sounds with perfect results to the bell/bow sounds and assign the Ride input to a crash or splash.

This set up justifies my needs quite well.

------------------
                          szvook
                          Studio

Comment

Who is carrying the Hart ecymbal II line, and who has the best deals??

Are they as compatible with the DM Pro as they are with the td-8???

Comment

I dont know who can give you the best deal on the Ecymbals-II, I have not bought anything for a while, so I am out of the current market price range.

Worst case scenario, if you cant get a good price from retailers or online, try to get in touch with the Hart people directly. Tell them you dont have a retailer in your area and they just might sell you directly (do not tell them that came from me, please!) Peter Hart will have my head!

As far as the compatibility with the DM-Pro, the Hart products will work the same as they do with the TD-8.

------------------
                              szvook
                              Studio

Comment

Working...
                              X