Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Question about V-Session kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about V-Session kit

Looking at the latest Sam Ash catalog I giot in the mail, in the V-Session description it states "Bass pedal & snare stand not included". But in the Roland literature it only states "Bass pedal not included" and it shows the same picture with the snare stand.

Does anybody know for sure if the snare stand is included, or is Sam Ash running an ad with a typo and/or just trying to jack people?

And if I buy it, does it come in lots of little boxes or just one big box?

Is there a recommended type/brand of bass pedal that works well with V-Session or V-Drums?

Thanks.

As far as the snare stand goes, I believe Roland does not sell the kit with a snare stand. They havenít in the past and I donít think they do now.

------------------
    szvook

[This message has been edited by szvook (edited March 18, 2001).]
    Studio

Comment

No, snare stand not included. Sometimes advertisements are a bit confusing ...

(I once saw an advertisement from a guitar company with a beautiful girl. Do I get her as well? )
      Robert

Comment

Originally posted by Kronos:
        Looking at the latest Sam Ash catalog I giot in the mail, in the V-Session description it states "Bass pedal & snare stand not included". But in the Roland literature it only states "Bass pedal not included" and it shows the same picture with the snare stand.

Does anybody know for sure if the snare stand is included, or is Sam Ash running an ad with a typo and/or just trying to jack people?

And if I buy it, does it come in lots of little boxes or just one big box?

Is there a recommended type/brand of bass pedal that works well with V-Session or V-Drums?

Thanks.
        No snare stand, never have, never will. As for what pedal works best, well, whatever works best for you will work best on the Vs. There are plenty of great pedals out there, just spend an afternoon trying 'em out at your nearest drum store and pick whatever feels best.

"Fry that sound effect, Moriarty, we're having it for breakfast"

Comment

Originally posted by Kronos:
          [B]And if I buy it, does it come in lots of little boxes or just one big box? [B]
          The V-Pros came in 3 large boxes, 1 of them containing just the rack. The other 2 contained the brain & pads, each in their own box.

~~~~~
          -~

Comment

Originally posted by Marc.:
            The V-Pros came in 3 large boxes, 1 of them containing just the rack. The other 2 contained the brain & pads, each in their own box.

~~~~~
            -~
            Same here, except my rack was extremely used.

I use the DW5000 w/my kd7.

Raffy85

Comment

Originally posted by Raffy85:
              Same here, except my rack was extremely used.
              I feel ya bro'. Mine looked used, but upon close examination it was new. However, by the time UPS was done with it, it was definitely abUSED. I fault Roland for not taking the same packing approach as with the brain/pads (which can use improvement). Fortunately, everything ran smooth once I flipped the switch.

-----
              -~

Comment

Having just recieved my session kit I can confirm that there is no snare stand included.
                Similar to the v-pro, the session also comes in three boxes. One for the stand, And two that contain the pads/brain.
                The only box that is excessively large is that containing the stand. The other two are easily manageable by one person. (they probably only weigh about 40 lbs or so each.)
                ------
                I just set this bad boy up over the weekend. I thought it sounded fantastic in the store but... Wow! Once you get into the brain and start tweaking the settings the results are unbelievable. This is my first edrum kit and I was unsure what to expect. I tried several models at the local sam ash and decided on the v's primarily because of their feel, and sound considering I will probably not use this kit for live gigs.
                I also think they look really sweet!(One should really see the session in person, it looks much much better than the promo ad photo.)
                I do have one question. I am considering buying a monitor speaker (mackie srm450) for when I dont feel like being quiet during practice sessions. As I mentioned I probably will not use the kit live, so I am wondering if the mackie is overkill or if the sound achievable via the mackie makes it worthwhile. Any thoughts appreciated.
                Thanks,
                Lonelyt

Comment

Originally posted by Lonelyt:
                  Having just recieved my session kit I can confirm that there is no snare stand included.
                  Similar to the v-pro, the session also comes in three boxes. One for the stand, And two that contain the pads/brain.
                  The only box that is excessively large is that containing the stand. The other two are easily manageable by one person. (they probably only weigh about 40 lbs or so each.)
                  ------
                  I just set this bad boy up over the weekend. I thought it sounded fantastic in the store but... Wow! Once you get into the brain and start tweaking the settings the results are unbelievable. This is my first edrum kit and I was unsure what to expect. I tried several models at the local sam ash and decided on the v's primarily because of their feel, and sound considering I will probably not use this kit for live gigs.
                  I also think they look really sweet!(One should really see the session in person, it looks much much better than the promo ad photo.)
                  I do have one question. I am considering buying a monitor speaker (mackie srm450) for when I dont feel like being quiet during practice sessions. As I mentioned I probably will not use the kit live, so I am wondering if the mackie is overkill or if the sound achievable via the mackie makes it worthwhile. Any thoughts appreciated.
                  Thanks,
                  Lonelyt
                  If you're only going to use them at home, the PM-3 should be more than enough for you. I'd say the Mackie would be overkill, but splendid sounding overkill.

Stu

Comment

Q: "I just set this bad boy up over the weekend. I thought it sounded fantastic in the store but... Wow! Once you get into the brain and start tweaking the settings the results are unbelievable"

What were you hopping for from the TD and what do you mean, "the results are unbelievable"?

------------------
                    szvook
                    Studio

Comment

I should add a word of caution, and that is, perhaps I am more amazed than some because this is my first forray into the world of electronic drumming.
                      Having said that, When I got this kit out of the box I thought it sounded very acceptable. I mean, sure most of the pre sets are useless or more fun than practical but they provide ideas and a basis for customization. As I began to assemble some custom kits and mess around with the variables for the sounds themselves, this is when I really began to appreciate the power and yet simplicity of the TD. After spending a few hours I had two kits I was really happy with, I was able to take sounds I had in my head and with a few manipulations create a kit that matched my preferences. And while I purchased the kit with this in mind, actually doing it made me realize how cool this can be. The versatility of these drums are exactly what I was looking for when I decided to make the investment. I'm not saying that the v's do it any better or any worse than somebody's custom kit or any other brand of edrum. There is always more than one way to get the job done. It just so happens the v's did it for me. I intend on using this kit solely to practice on at home with, so maybe this excludes me from some of the pitfalls associated with playing a set of v-drums live. But I made the purchase with this in mind and therefore don't view that as a negative.
                      Lastly, I have spent some time reading through the many posts on this site, and noticed that quite often people are very quick to offer their negative thoughts on the problems with edrums in general. I think its necessary to take a step back and actually appreciate what technology in the last few years has accomplished. Because of the e-drum (v-drum in my case), I can now practice on a kit that offers very dynamic sound possibilities and a quite realistic feel, at any hour of the day and not bother my flat mates or be thrown out of my apartment building by my neighbors. While they are not exactly like real drums they are much closer than I would have ever anticipated. Banging on the mesh head and a plastic/ rubber cymbal of my old practice kit never made these kinds of sounds.
                      I think we must realize that the e-drums are not perfect, they are just another tool to add to one's belt. They should be accepted for what they can do and we need people like those on this site to mess around with concepts like the 'holy grail' and push the envelope.
                      Admittedly, I have only spent one weekend with my beautiful new redhead, but there was a big smile on my face when I put the sticks down on sunday night, and afterall, that is what this is all about.
                      Cheers and Happy drumming,
                      Lonelyt
                      P.S. Oh one last thing. I am pissed roland didnt include a snare stand, for this kind of cash that does seem a little idiotic. Not including a pedal I can understand but c'mon guys throw in a lousy $40 snare stand at least. That's the only negative.. for now at least I'll keep you updated
                      Originally posted by szvook:
                      Q: "I just set this bad boy up over the weekend. I thought it sounded fantastic in the store but... Wow! Once you get into the brain and start tweaking the settings the results are unbelievable"

What were you hopping for from the TD and what do you mean, "the results are unbelievable"?

[This message has been edited by Lonelyt (edited March 19, 2001).]

Comment

GET THE MACKIE or a JBL EON G2!!! I just sat down with a set of VSession and the PM3. PM3 just doesn't do it. Save some money and buy the Mackies or JBLs. You won't be disappointed.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Berry:
                          GET THE MACKIE or a JBL EON G2!!! I just sat down with a set of VSession and the PM3. PM3 just doesn't do it. Save some money and buy the Mackies or JBLs. You won't be disappointed.
                          Why should he have an EON G2 or an SRM450 in his living room? That's complete overkill, unless you've got a wall of Marshalls right next to you. I can see both of them when you're in a rehearsal room with others, or on stage, but just for practice at home? Be serious, people, the PM-3 will totally suffice both sound- and volume-wise for at-home practice. There's absolutely no need for the big guns here, unless he's going out gigging with them.

Comment

I agree with Tom. Get the Mackie. 649 and free shipping from www.riksmusic.com and the service is great. The pm 3 would be more than fine for home and practice, but why limit yourself. The mackie also works great for home, practice and it kicks for live situations. Lonelyt: Why are you not considering playing live with the vdrums?
                            I think they work great for live situations. for example: some of the clubs we play are very small, which makes it near impossible to get my acoustics through the mains. My vdrums work perfect for this, and they work well for bigger clubs as well.

If you go to riksmusic site you need to ask for a price quote via email, or just sign in on the buyers club thingy, it'free and it allows you to see the best prices without an email quote.

good luck

Kurt
                            Kurt

Pearl drums converted with hart adc, roland kd7's, pd 120 for snare, various roland rubber pads, hart e cymbals and pads, td8, td6, 2 mackie srm450s and mackie sub. mackie sr 24-4 mixer........and always growing.

Comment

Just my thoughts on a monitor / home practice amp. I cannot comment on the use of Mackies - I've never seen them, but I am qualified to comment on a single speaker Vs the PM-3.

My father has the V Pro & a Roland KC-500 (?). I play the V Customs with the PM-3. Whilst I haven't experienced the Mackies here are my thoughts:

The single 'bigger' amp knocks out a big sound - I've even heard it with a Jazz band and the V's sound good. My first six months of V-experience was with the Pro's and this Keyboard amp. The sound was good.

When I got my customs, I just played with headphones (and of course tried putting it through the home sterio Ha! Ha!) . . . I was a little hesitant about trying the PM-3 because of many of the negative posts in these forums. Eventually I spent an hour at a local store with it. I got one in January.

For home practice (and rehearsal at 'reasonable' volumes) the PM-3 is perfect. The Bass is low and full and the highs are crisp and clear. Even if you crank the master feed up and the amp conrtols (vol. High & Low) up most of the way - the sound does not distort (I haven't fully pushed it - 'cause I haven't needed to).

I can get to the volume of an unmiked acoustic kit with the PM-3 ... and sound good.

The major, major plus with these (for me)is the sterio sound (two tweeters) it gives a much more realistic feel & sound in comparison to a single unit.

You're not going to manage gigs of any size with these (although more intimate Jazz etc, you'd be fine with)- some would even find it inadequate for rehearsal with other (louder) band members.

If you don't loose sight of the fact that the PM-3 is a monitor (or home rehearsal) set-up then these babies are perfect for the job: **** lets face it, they've been specifically designed for V-Drum application!

If you're never going to use the full power of a larger speaker . . . you've got a powerful machine that (amongst hundreds of other things) lets you fade sounds L & R, why stay mono - you've got two ears!

For practice or monitoring - I'd chose the PM-3 over again.

You dont need to crack nuts with a sledge hammer!

Just my thoughts.

Andy.

Andy
                              TD-20, Pair of JBL-Eon15 G2's & Sub

Check out the demo tracks to hear my V's at

http://www.thebrokenangelband.co.uk/

Comment

Working...
                              X