Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

SPD -6 Perc. Pad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SPD -6 Perc. Pad

Anybody own one of these? They look great and I'm wondering about the internal sounds, etc. Looks like a great addition to a set of V's - If you've got one how much did it cost and where did you get it? Thanks

I have an SPD-20 which is as far as I can tell basically the big brother to the SPD-6. It works great with the V's, I also use it to trigger my sampler too. I know there are a few more users here who use the SPD-20 and it's older sibling the SPD-11. Another alternative is the DrumKat which I also believe a few on this list own. The one drawback to the SPD-6 that has been pointed out is the lack of Midi In so you wouldn't be able to trigger the SPD-6 via Midi which may be a problem for people. I still wouldn't rule it out as a good addition to the V's but I would really try it out before hand and compare it to the other alternatives. Hope this helps.

Comment

I saw this yesterday at a clinic in Atlanta. The price we were told it would be is around $295.00, so you should be able to get it for a little less than that. He said around 125 sounds I believe. It is set to be available in mid April.

Comment

I was a big fan and user from Roland Octapads. I used the Octapad II (PAD 80) for many years. It had awesome MIDI functions and you could even play 3 notes at one time (which allowed me to play simple chords - we have no keyboard player). The Octapads with built-in sounds (SPD 8/11/20) which came out later are a nice addition. However, they lack a lot of MIDI functions and inputs compared to the PAD 80. Now there is even a SPD-6 with 6 !!! (Roland forgot what an octave is) pads and 133 !!!! sounds. For the killer price of only $295? Come on !!!

Together with the red and blue pads, the expensive (probably stiff and breakable) cymbal pads and this SPD6 Roland defenitely drives me
        Robert

Comment

You can still get a Drumkat for around the same money which you have to play to believe.
          Drumkat Turbo 4.5, Emulator X3, Superior 2.1, Roland Fantom XR, DTXtreme III, SPD-20 etc.......

Comment

Originally posted by jrcel:
            You can still get a Drumkat for around the same money which you have to play to believe.

This brings the new Roland pad into a even more difficult position.

jrcel, glad you're back. it's for this info, ya know that we luv' ya
            Robert

Comment

Yeah I always found the Katt products hard to use and they don't have internal sounds

Comment

Well once again I don't get it, the Drumkat is about as easy a device to program as I've ever seen. Plus you can add all those layering, alternating, melodic modes to any other controller through one of it's midi in's. As for internal sounds, there's over 600 on the TD10 and 1200 on the TD8, all you have to do is use a midi cable, or is that difficult as well ?

[This message has been edited by jrcel (edited March 13, 2001).]
                Drumkat Turbo 4.5, Emulator X3, Superior 2.1, Roland Fantom XR, DTXtreme III, SPD-20 etc.......

Comment

As for internal sounds, there's over 600 on the TD10 and 1200 on the TD8, all you have to do is use a midi cable, or is that difficult as well ?
                  Yeah, right. But we initially spoke about MIDI controllers with sounds built-in. I liked my Octapad II and you like your KAT controller (both devices have the flexibility that you can connect them to any device you want) but some people prefer controllers with sounds inclusive. From this point of view the SPD-8, SPD 11 and SPD 20 are more usefull than this new toy SPD-6.

Compare the price from the SPD-6 with a new SPD-11 or a second-hand 20 and ask what you get for you money...
                  Robert

Comment

I kind of meant that in leu of sounds the Kat offers the ability to Katylise incomming midi signals and add more power to the host device.

Comment

Well once again I don't get it, the Drumkat is about as easy a device to program as I've ever seen. Plus you can add all those layering, alternating, melodic modes to any other controller through one of it's midi in's. As for internal sounds, there's over 600 on the TD10 and 1200 on the TD8, all you have to do is use a midi cable, or is that difficult as well ?

For me just the layout of the Katt is odd - the small areas, the shape, feel, etc... I owned one and never liked it and now they are out of business.

[This message has been edited by jrcel (edited March 13, 2001).]

Comment

And what is your contribution, mfmia?
                        Robert

Comment

Originally posted by puttenvr:
                          And what is your contribution, mfmia?
                          My contribution? I started this discussion - some said they prefer the Katt over the Roland products. I said the Katt pads don't have internal sounds. Others said they liked the Katt products, I said I didn't like the layout - seems odd and very uncomfortable to play. So far, thats been my contribution.

Comment

Originally posted by mfmia:
                            My contribution?

I asked this because I saw an empty post with only a quote from someone else. Perhaps you tried to answer it ??

Jrcel, never post such list of users again, or I add a list with ddrummers. Mr Administrator, do you have 14 pages available?
                            Robert

Comment

Ah.... jrcel already removed the list.
                              Robert

Comment

Working...
                              X