Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

If you could do it all over...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you could do it all over...

For those that bought a TD-10 before the TD-8 came out, or a V-Pro before the V-Concert came out etc. Knowing what you know today and where things have gone, and if you were to make your purchase today, would you buy differently?

Would you buy piecemeal or still buy a preconfigured set? You think it's worth $4300 for the V-Session for just a little more? Was what you bought be a mistake if all that is out now was available at the time? What would you do different if anything?

I've only been looking at V-drums for the last few weeks and would appreciate comments from those that have experienced them over the months/years and what you would do different is starting from scratch. I know in my experiences with guitar and recording equipment I would have purchased differently if I knew the way things turned out. Thanks.

I would buy a ddrum again from what I know now and if I had to choose between the two Roland modules I would buy the TD-8.

To me the few extra edit options and effects aren't worth the money. Also: the td-10 only has the better sounds and better dynamics from the td-8 with the TDW-1 installed. Another $ 245 to go. Some people mean the td-8 also has better outputs and a more friendly user system. Last but not least (if this is important to you) the td-8 has a larger sequencer.

Perhaps Roland's policy is a disappointment for some td-10 users who thought the td-10 would be Roland's e-drum flagship for years with all the expansion options and professional features. But Roland shoot underneath their own top-end kit with a module which has the benefits I already mentioned.

[This message has been edited by puttenvr (edited March 17, 2001).]
    Robert

Comment

Hmmm, ask me again in six months.

I am still pleased with my current setup.

:O
      Kelly Mercer
      Halifax, Nova Scotia
      Canada

My Youtube Channel!
      http://www.youtube.com/user/VirtualMP3Studio

My "home studio" webcam!
      http://virtualmp3studio.ww.com/

Comment

I would have bought a sampler instead of the TD-7 and would have utilized the time THEN appropriately with the sampler.

With that said, I might have not had the desire or the need to get a module at all and just stay with the sampler. But the modules do serve their purpose as well.
        Studio

Comment

This is a strangely relevant question, at least to me.

You see, I have a TD-10 with mesh pads, but I do not have a full V-pro kit. When these things first came out, I knew I could not afford the whole thing, so I saved up some dough and got the TD-10 with three pads. I took four of my PD-7's from the TD-7 and assembled a smallish jazz-type kit with two combo cymbal-tom stands, an old snare stand, the extra FD-7 I had, and one of those DW5000 electronic trigger pedals for kick. (I sat the TD-10 on a folding chair next to my throne).

I will not disclose the amount I pad for these four items (module, 3 pads) for it will no doubt cause me some embarrassment among the seasoned 'price haggling low-lifes' among this site (suffice it to say this was my first retail purchase aside from a d-4 in 1993...I always bought my equipment used via classifieds before).

So, I have my expensive little 4-piece. Then, a few months later, I hear that Roland is releasing the V-customs.

New module, with more sounds, more sequences, a full 4-mesh-pad trigger set up, with bass drum pad, pd-7's and rack.

The price of the V-custom was only slightly higher than what I paid for those 4 items. I felt like such a bonehead.

I did not research more at the time...I was obsessed with getting this module and those pads. They were perfect. At that time I did not have access to the internet or I surely would have discovered the imminent release of the affordable V-customs, and I would have bought that instead.

(If Mr. Music Retailer is still around I should point out that none of the half-dozen salesmen I consulted about my dilemma ever mentioned the V-custom, which would have been an affordable alternative to me...I find it difficult to believe than none of them were aware of its imminent release).

Now, if you're still with me, the important thing is this:

I do not regret it.

I dearly love my TD-10. It's my girl on the side (though I'm not fully faithful, as some ddrum.com members may now know), and I would never trade it for the TD-8, which I consider inferior, or at least less suited to my tastes. When I got the expansion card there was some neurosis...I thought I got a bad card...and the panic I experienced was similar to that of having an ailing friend (headphones is the key, I found out).

My main problem now is not spening enough time with it (carpal tunnel woes). That and I've finally broken down to Putt's needlings and I am considering a Ddrum....but just window shopping at this point.

My advice, try them all, but my guess is that you will be stuck trying to decide between the TD-10, TD-8, and the Ddrum.

DJourg

P.S. Kronos Quartet fan?

[This message has been edited by DJourg (edited March 17, 2001).]

Comment

Originally posted by DJourg:
            [B]P.S. Kronos Quartet fan?[B]
            No, Rush
            Robert

Comment

The Dtxtreme ain't dead yet, American Music just added it to their catalogue. The regional manager at Guitar Center told me it was the same thing when Vdrums first hit the market. It took a while for it to get going, in the case of Vdrums, it was price initially that caused a hesitation. I am happy with my Drumkat 3.5 and will be upgrading to Turbo 4.5 soon. With it , I can play any pad made though any box with a midi in port. It's built like a tank and plays better than the mesh pads I've tried. I can use nine external pads or play the onboard FSR pads. It's the best thing for me, you may like something else, it's up to the individual.
              Drumkat Turbo 4.5, Emulator X3, Superior 2.1, Roland Fantom XR, DTXtreme III, SPD-20 etc.......

Comment

Originally posted by puttenvr:
                No, Rush
                Hmm. Must've been after my time (the 'Presto' album). Thought the k4 might've been a stretch.

Per Jrcel:
                It's the best thing for me, you may like something else, it's up to the individual.

Ain't nuthin' truer. Research all you can, Kronos--hands on, if possible.

[This message has been edited by DJourg (edited March 18, 2001).]

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I'm just wondering if I should just go all out and get the V-session. I remember when I first got a guitar and got cheap DOD pedals to save money. Then. I replaced them with all Boss pedals. Then, I replaced them with rack units. I'm just worried about buying too cheap to begin with and then having to upgrade. Sometimes the more expensive choice can be the cheapest.

No, can't say I'm a fan of Kronos quartet. Ever hear of Kronos from Venom? Some 80's Black Metal band. Just thought the name was cool, that's all.

Comment

Originally posted by Kronos:
                    ... I'm just wondering if I should just go all out ... Sometimes the more expensive choice can be the cheapest.
                    Very true in certain situations. My advice is to assess your long-term goals w/e-drums and shop around. In the end, buy the best that you can afford. Don't worry about obsolesence. In the electronics arena many things are outdated by the time you get home with your stuff.

With this in mind, the important thing is to be happy with your purchase. If this happens, then nothing can disappoint you. I've been married almost 30 years now. Although a lot of newer models have come and gone through the years, I was very happy with my initial purchase then, and the passage of time has proven that I am still happy now.

Don't Worry, Be Happy,
                    - -

Comment

Working...
                    X