Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Pintech K3 Kick - Quick impressions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pintech K3 Kick - Quick impressions

Just got my K3 from zZounds for about $32 shipped. (Yeah, I swore I'd never order from them after they sat on my Eon G2 order for well over 3 months, always saying 'soon!' but it was cheap. $^)

So, what's it like? It's a small metal cylinder with a rubber trigger area (wide enough for double-bass beaters on a single pedal) and a metal rim. I clamped my Yamaha pedal, which has a full baseplate, onto the rim. The beater is a bent one with a wooden ball on the end. Unlike pictures I have seen, I had to attach the beater so the beater is bent upward. Set the pad type on the TD8 to K2. (Couldn't tell a difference between K1 and K2.)

Pad settings: Sensitivity is up (at 15, max is 16). I set the minimum to 2, with no apparent crosstalk problems (Xtalk set at 30 just to be safe). Response is linear.

Impressions: The feel is pretty good. I tightened the spring tension a bit, and have the pedal fairly high. The inverted beater (first I've owned) doesn't feel all that strange, just a bit different. I can get decent speed (not that I'm a pedalspeed demon! $^) and no real mis/missed triggers.

The 2 things I like about it are the small size (no assembly needed, takes up no more space than the pedal itself), and the pedal doesn't wander like the KD80. (I'm playing on a bare wooden floor, spikes etc. are not an option!) I was using a metal bar tucked in behind the rack uprioghts to keep the KD80 from wandering forward.

One interesting note, it doesn't "look" like a kick, as the upright pads do. ANd people watching can see a lot more of the bass pedal work with this exposed beater. For better or worse! $^)

The K3 is definitely a cheap and portable way to go for double-bass setups, using either one trigger with 2 beaters, or 2 K3s with 2 pedals and Y'ing them into the Kick 1/2 input.
Working...
X