Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Just picked up a mackie SRM450

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just picked up a mackie SRM450

I have just two words to say ****ING AWESOME. Excuse the french. I came out of the sound booth dizzy. I had that Mackie cranked to the hilt, well 3/4 and god can that baby sing. Not a hint of a crackle or distortion anywhere, totally blown away. Walked out and parted with £590, which ain't a bad deal. Gotta wait for the bag to be delivered. Also went on a TD-10 wtih the new Roland cymbals, which are well smart. Bummer if you have a TD-8 like me as they are only dual zoned instead of triple with the TD-10.
    Since I have got the Mackie I am now considering using electronic cymbals again. I use acoustic cymbals because the electronic cymbals sounded **** through the last monitors, but through the Mackies they sounded sweet. now I will finally hear what people hear out front.
    One last thing, if you can't afford Mackies don't try them, you will be pig sick afterwards.......Mackies for president.....

Spides: I agree with your opinion of the Mackie srm450. One word of advise though, don't try using two srm450s until you can afford to buy another one, because after hearing two you will not want to go back to one.

Kurt
    Kurt

Pearl drums converted with hart adc, roland kd7's, pd 120 for snare, various roland rubber pads, hart e cymbals and pads, td8, td6, 2 mackie srm450s and mackie sub. mackie sr 24-4 mixer........and always growing.

Comment

Hey Spides,

What AMP are you going to use to power you Mackies? What Nominal Impedance combination are you going after? Just curious.

General question. Do most of (you) use 2-way speakers only, or have some of you tried
      3-way speakers for full reproduction of EQ?

------------------
      szvook
      Studio

Comment

The Mackie 450s are powered. No need for an external amp. 300 watts to the woofer, 100 to the horn. Simple, fast and excellent.

Jay
        jg52

Comment

Originally posted by Spides:

One last thing, if you can't afford Mackies don't try them, you will be pig sick afterwards.......Mackies for president.....
          Would'nt that be "prime minister" on your side on the pond?

I concur on the Mackies, I play CD's through them now and hear things I used to miss on my home stereo system. I bought just one to start and liked it so much...I ordered another within weeks.... Damn,I'm starting to sound like a manufactures rep, Maybe I should paint mine red.

Enjoy,

Comment

You don't need 3-way speakers for "3-way speakers for full reproduction of EQ," whatever that is exactly. 2-way systems can easily reproduce the full audio spectrum with minimal or no dips in response. It all depends on the drivers, crossover, and cabinet.

Comment

Rudimint, I daren't try two..one gives me a hard on as it is ......lol.....
              Szvook, what amp? You've got to hear the Mackies, you would laugh at that question...
              Redarrow, well we say president over here even in slang terms. I know what you mean by hearing things you didn't know were there. I took my TD-8 brain along and plugged into a V Drum kit in the shop with the Mackie to the side of me, and I couldn't believe how much EQ I had on some of the kits.....
              I might invest in some ear plugs......

Comment

I remembered that some Mackie speakers are self-powered, just did not know the SRM450 were as well. Ií am playing through a pair of Cerwin-Vegas V-253ís and have not played through any of the Mackie speakers.

In reference to the 3-way speakers, I found the mid range was lacking a bit through a 2-way speaker and that is why I posted that question to see if any one had experience playing and noticing a difference through a 3-way speaker. Plus I need strong power from my PA to recreate a live environment for my music type.

------------------
                szvook
                Studio

Comment

Szvook, thanks for the reply. I hope I didn't come across as patrinising because that wasn't the intention. I didn't have a clue about the Mackies till I came on here.
                  One of the reasons I went with the Mackies is because I didn't want to depend on going through a PA to be heard. Don't get me wrong a powerful PA can't be beaten.
                  But I had a chance with a few bands but their PA wasn't powerful enough. Most semi-pro bands only use the PA for vocals so they don't need wacking PA's.
                  Now I can have the Mackie at the back as the main sound for the drums. (good for practising with the band) I have it on a pole, aiming outwards, but slightly tilting towards my right side. The Mackie has a good wide spectrum sound, just under 180o from the face of it. have to be careful with volume, but so far it has worked great.
                  I used to have three way Yamaha speakers, try the Mackies, if your not blown away, get your money back.
                  When the bloke sold me mine he said if any sounds on the V Drum distort, at any volume, in any way, he will give me my money back, no questions. and believe me I will not be getting my money back.

Comment

No sweat broí No damage done at all.

I actually tried the SRM450 yesterday in a store with the TD-10 expanded and my studio neighbor had a new pair as well, so had the privilege to play with them a bit. They do sound good I must admit. Although when tried to push the low end a bit they did not respond like I anticipated, maybe I was pushing them a bit too much.

Ií am used to play VERY loud and needed system to handle at LEAST 1400 watts continuous power. When I got my Cerwin-Vegaís with my Crown K2 amp, Mackie did not have anything to match my needs, they do now - I know, yet the low end is missing as far as what I need and the type of music I do.

I also had the opportunity to play the SR 1530 and they would be my choice, they are very nice, (better the JBLís in the similar price range), but unfortunately they donít cut it either.

I wanted to go with a full, 3-way, stand alone system without using a sub as well. I tried many combinations and found my current system to provide what I need.

I understand your reasons for going with a self-powered speaker so you donít have to worry about your signal desertion. That is why I went with a very powerful amp like the Crown K2. Personally I prefer the amp to be a separate unit, it provides a better isolation from the speakers.

Basically I needed a system that I can push HARD and I got it!!

That is what its all about, getting what you require out of your system to match your music. Glad to see you found it !!!

------------------
                    szvook
                    Studio

Comment

Some good points there Szvook. I think I will have to get some ear plugs, because to get the 'feel' of the drums I have the Mackie on about half way. But I do have the pads about half way on the TD-8 brain. I don't have the Mackie facing me though, I would go completely deaf if I did.

Comment

I understand completely Spides.

I got lucky with the amount of space my studio has. I can afford to have my speakers facing me from a good distance and push it.

I found that with recreating a LIVE environment or getting your dynamics heard well, a certain level has to be achieved. These are digital signals (v-drums) that have to be brought out and digital signals can be misleading at times.

With my speakers on the floor instead of raised, I get a good low-end affect that I FEEL quite well. Cerwin-Vega speakers are known for that factor, you have to keep them on the floor to get a superior response - especially on the low end. Once again, space does matter when it comes to achieving that level and not hurting your self in the process.

On the positive note regarding the Roland drum modules: They do sound SICK! When a person has the space to push the PA, the Rolandís will have all of the dynamics come to live and will not be a disappointment to the Roland owners out there.

None of my neighbors that play acoustic drums want to keep their acoustic sets any more.

Long live the edrummers !!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
                        szvook
                        Studio

Comment

Working...
                        X