Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

latest DTXtreme info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• latest DTXtreme info

http://www.giles.com/yamaha1/pressre...1/releases.htm I don't mind saying I a little underwhelmed. I don't know. You tell me.
    Drumkat Turbo 4.5, Emulator X3, Superior 2.1, Roland Fantom XR, DTXtreme III, SPD-20 etc.......

Oh My God I NEED This !!!!!

just kidding ... Steve.

Comment

Mmmm.....'Taken electronic Drumming to another level'? - interesting thought...

.... I'm probably bias, but I can't see a new level there: 'real acoustic heads for a real acoustic feel' (not to mention the extra noise generated) .... expensive 'YESS mounting System' (for shells who's resonance will not effect the electronic sound) ....the floating kick pad design (safe to assume you'll also have a floating kick pedal given that there appears to be nothing to clamp it to! .....

Okay - so I'm very sceptical that this is a 'new level' ... but as it's been in design since 1989 (well before the TD-10 was brought out - not to mention the TD8), I'd have expected a little more.

Having said this, I'll be first in the queue to demo one when it reachs the stores - I'm not interested in ditching the TD8 - that is more than adequate for my needs (and will be for many years) - I just want to see the new level.

Just my 0.02.
      Andy
      TD-20, Pair of JBL-Eon15 G2's & Sub

Check out the demo tracks to hear my V's at

http://www.thebrokenangelband.co.uk/

Comment

I will sit behind them on Friday at NAMM and see what they are all about. I will be sure to post something. I have SpaceMuffins and a ddrum4 so I have something in their league to compare to. It should be interesting. It is funny how Yamaha has this "new" acoustic head technology for real acoustic feel. Too funny.

Erik
        SEP

[This message has been edited by sepdrums (edited January 16, 2001).]

Comment

In reply to Oz DrumR:

I think this was previously posted a while ago, but I believe that the drums arent supposed to be quite, they are supposed to be used in situations where you can have the extra sound, but you want the nice triggering and wide sound variety (live shows, studio use, etc but probebly not for home practice). About the YESS mounts, I believe those are to prevent Crosstalk and false triggering. I dont think they are supposed to affect/improve the sonic quality of the drums. I have no clue what the floating kick design is all about.

-Jarek

Comment

Originally posted by lethic:
            About the YESS mounts, I believe those are to prevent Crosstalk and false triggering.
            Correct: I use RIMS for this. But if the Yamaha pads are so noise that you only can use them where (as you wrote) the extra sound can be used, then they are not suitable for practicing at home. Many acoustic drummers which use their e-kit for this will be disappointed.

On the other hand: this fits into Yamaha's policy where they say the borders between acoustic and e-drums once will disappear. Read that in a magazine.
            Robert

Comment

After playing everything except a Hart kit with their dual play heads im pretty much either gonna get the yamaha kit or a hart custom BX with yamaha module. The DTXtreme kit i played just blew the doors off the Vkit i tried and altho it definatly makes more noise theres no doubt i will be able to put it in my apartment and start wailin away because altho its louder, its still apartment playable unless you happen to have paper thin walls or neigbors who has the ears of a dog. No doubt about it tho the yamaha module just kicks major a$$. I thought it sounded way better then the td10 i played altho the td10 didnt have the expansion board... The key tho for me is on top of the drums i can now sample my bass and guitar playing, and get a keyboard on top of it and sample stuff off that and basicly i can be an entire band by myself calling up stuff all over the place in the middle of playin my drum lines. My question is altho i can sample stuff up to 47 seconds how many of these samples would i be able to store to bring up in one session of playing? With the ability to bring in any sample i want up to 47 seconds long i could really come up with some crazy **** as long it lets me store quite a few of these to call up in a single session.

Comment

I must say that they looks great!

Comment

Who? The girls you just saw on the beach in Israel?
                  Robert

Comment

Originally posted by Indra:
                    altho it definatly makes more noise theres no doubt i will be able to put it in my apartment and start wailin away because altho its louder, its still apartment playable unless you happen to have paper thin walls or neigbors who has the ears of a dog.
                    This certainly sounds like it will suit your needs much better than the V's. About the noise: When you demo in a store, you tend to underestimate just how loud they will be in an apartment. Stores are usually open with lots of ambient noise to mask the kit And it isn't just the obvious noise you need to consider. Sound travels. My kit is in a basement on concrete floor. The PD-9 tap-tap travels through the heat/ac ducts. My wife has had to wear earplugs when trying to nap in a bedroom on the second floor while I'm doing the drum thing. I don't want to rain on your parade, but several people have gone throught the problem with the neighbors routine. A search will show their solutions.
                    Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

Ive asked the person who lives below me if they hear me using the washer and dryer and they say they dont and the dryer really gets rockin good when i got a nice load in there. I have no doubt there is no way they will hear the Yamaha kit if they dont hear my dryer from hell. Its definatly a lot louder then Vdrums but it still isnt that loud. Does anyone know the answer to how many user imported samples this thing can store for a single playing session? Does the length of the samples matter to how many it can store?

Comment

I don't know much about the DTExtreme brain, but hasn't boom theory used the idea of real (acoustic) shells, say, 10 years ago?

I wasn't impressed with the sounds on my DTX 2, are these sounds going to be better?

Comment

whats with all the jaded e-drummers?? granted e-drums could certainly be better but they have certainly come a long way. everyone who seems to be pre-dissing the yamaha without trying them and it seems to me that just going by the specs, if yamaha delivers on those specs, the dtxextreme blows everything else away.

vs. roland - stack , alternate modes, sample inport, crossfades/layering

vs ddrum - seqeuncer plus stack , alternate modes, and crossfades

vs boom theory - sequencer and sampler

vs alesis - seqeuncer plus stack , alternate modes

Comment

granted alot of the "new" stuff is not necessarily, but it seems to me like the yamahas combine al lot of the different features from many of the other modules into one module.

Comment

I personally think my DTX V 2.0 sounds great, 48khz sample rate is as good as it gets. I'm not interested in pads with heads on them, I've tried them all and I just don't care to have one more thng to think about. It's not nessesary and I don't want it, to me it's like teets on a bull, useless. Besies the fact that they don't feel like drums anyway, so why bother. I've already gotten used to rubber pads, it's a waste of money for me. I'm primarily interested in the module, I have a complete set of Yamaha pads and a set of Dauz pads. The next thing I'll buy will either be 1}the DTXtreme module, or 2} a Kurweil Event Station, or, plug the pads into my Drumkat and buy a really good sampler. The Xtreme doesn't do any more complex triggering than my Drumkat, and I've already got the DTX module with all the sequences and such { by the way, the songs get old real fast }. I have never liked buying these turnkey systems, I don't want some guy in a white lab coat who doesn't even play telling me what I want. If I have a problem and need help, Kat, Dauz and Drumtech were founded by drummmers an percussionists who know what f#%$ I'm talking about. These huge multi-nationals are like steamrollers that just lumber around blindly smashing into smaller inovative companies destroying them as they go. I need to have a small company that undestands were I comming from, that isn't interested only in the money they will make from me, but who give a **** about me as a drummer. My drumkat is $279 to upgrade, the DTXTREME is between $900 and $1000, I've been through this many times before and I think I'll pass this time. I've had it up to here with modules this and modules that. You don't need a dedicated drum module to play elecronic drums.

[This message has been edited by jrcel (edited January 17, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by jrcel (edited January 17, 2001).]
                              Drumkat Turbo 4.5, Emulator X3, Superior 2.1, Roland Fantom XR, DTXtreme III, SPD-20 etc.......

Comment

Working...
                              X