Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

only dtxtreme demos shipped

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• only dtxtreme demos shipped

Well it's Feb 9th and still no large quantities of DTXtreme kits or components shipping. I wonder what Yamaha is up to, they debued this stuff at Frankfurt Musik Messe in, I think May 2000, then again in July 2000, and again in Jan 2001, I wonder if they're getting bad feedback from they're endorsers. I think they want to avoid the intial problems they had wih the DTX system, they had to upgrade almost immediately and offer a chip to people who already bought the original module. I'm getting really tired of waiting for this thing. I can't find three people who have even heard the machine to get a wide range of opinion.
    Drumkat Turbo 4.5, Emulator X3, Superior 2.1, Roland Fantom XR, DTXtreme III, SPD-20 etc.......

... which brings the Yamaha kit out of serious competition.
    Robert

Comment

You nailed it, Putt. Maybe it's just me, but doesn't it seem like Yamaha has somehow managed to reduce itself to second-banana status in just about every music-related product line that they're involved in? Don't get me wrong, Yamaha makes good stuff, but they just don't seem to be the industry leader and innovator that they once were. Time was, you weren't "legit" unless you had a Recording Custom kit or a DX7. This whole bad initial buzz on the DTXtreme seems symptomatic of Yamaha's current image. That's one person's opinion anyway......
      TD-30 / SPD-SX

Comment

Originally posted by puttenvr:
        ... which brings the Yamaha kit out of serious competition.
        That's too bad if it's true. I was hoping for someone to give Roland a run for their money. The more competition, the more improvements and reduced prices. I'm probably good for another 5 yrs before I can see myself looking for a replacement set. I would hope to see some major improvements by then. 5 yrs isn't that long when it comes to R&D, production and distribution.
        Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

I was hoping that the DTXtreme was going to be solid competition for the V-drums also, and what you said about the manufacturers pushing each other to top their rivals' products was right on the money. You can plainly see that Yamaha lifted no small number of design elements from the V-drums. To be honest, I was fully expecting to blind-purchase the DTXtreme upon its release. My reasoning behind this was that Yamaha would obviously pick up the thread where Roland left it, and that there was just no way they would come out with an inferior product. Why run the race if you've no chance of winning it, right? Well, needless to say, I have been reading and will continue to read DTXtreme-related posts with great interest. Equally needless to say, my "blind-purchase" notion has been sidelined completely. Come on, Yamaha, get it together. We Roland users really WANT some serious competition from you, because it brings the things on our Wish List that much closer to reality....
          TD-30 / SPD-SX

Comment

Well for me it's either the Extremes or nothing, Vdrums just don't have features I want, the pads are "touchy" the interface won't allow layering or chord play, it's a beefed up TD7, COSM means nothing to me. The Ddrums have no features to speak of at all, no sequencing, no effects, lets get a time machine and go back to the late '80's. It might be a good thing that Yamaha, a company known for it's care for musicians, is taking their time and making sure they get it right. I'm sure when JR got a look at them he made some suggestions. The problem might be that they're relying too much on Tony Verderosa for the DTX project. He's a fine musician but he's into Drum 'n Bass which is a very specialized branch of electronic drumming, alot of lo-fi sounding stuff that goes over many drummers heads. They really have to thnk more in terms of the mainstream, if there is one, of edrummers. I don't want to step on any toes, but I'd be happy to stay with the DTX V 2.0 ,than go with anything else if the Extreme project goes south. I think Yamaha just being cautious and trying to avoid any problems down the road like the complaints I've read here concerning the Vdrums.
            Drumkat Turbo 4.5, Emulator X3, Superior 2.1, Roland Fantom XR, DTXtreme III, SPD-20 etc.......

Comment

Originally posted by jrcel:
              The Ddrums have no features to speak of at all, no sequencing, no effects, lets get a time machine and go back to the late '80's

Ah ... jrcel, you just changed your mind?

Originally posted by jrcel on www.ddrums.com:
              You know, I'm getting closer to joining the Ddrum comunity of players. I already have a Drumkat for all the midi tricks, the Ddrum 4 module looks like a really serious machine, no nonsense piece of gear that will last a long time.

Jrcel, I know you are not, but this resembles a bit like lurking: hanging around everywhere, give your comments everywhere ....
              Robert

Comment

I began to realise that I was describing my sampler and not the Ddrum 4 at all. I find that I like to control chords and sequencer info from the pads. The Drumkat, although a fine machine can be a bit touchy, I just found another software bug that pissed me off and I'm finally getting fed up with it. Things change, fact of life, peoples needs change another fact of life. **** happens and I just got the brochure from Japan for the DTXtreme equipment. I'm in the process of selling alot of my gear to get it. Feel fre to hang at my site and say pissy things about the DTX, http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Yamaha_DTX I've said it before, and I'll say it again, if you're happy with your Vdrums, more power to you. I'm glad you found something you like, I have different needs.

[This message has been edited by jrcel (edited February 11, 2001).]

Comment

Hey Jrcel
                  I was wondering what kind of stuff you're doing. I'm a little confused at when you were saying the rolands were too 'touchy,' do you mean the pads themselves?
                  I agree that I'd like some layering, and if there was going to be an upgrade like we saw in the TDW-1, aside from some better sounds, that's the second thing that should have been addressed.

BINARY

Comment

Hey guys! I got a set of DTXtremes January 19th, from Sweetwater Sound. They look and sound very good. I've played drums 27 years and own my own project studio,so I'm a pretty good judge of sounds and playability. If anyone would like the lowdown on these,feel free to email me for the particulars. Seems when ever I do these long replys my AOL kicks me off for inactivity,the bastards. So thats why I'm just doing this. I had abunch of stuff typed out and lost it all when I got kicked off-AAARRRGGG!!

Comment

cabman, be prepared for the imminent avalanche of questions heading your way regarding the DTXtreme. To my knowledge, you're the first person on this site to report being in possession of it, and we've been talking/wondering/complaining about the DTXtreme for some time now. So, without further ado, let 'er rip, jrcel!......
                      TD-30 / SPD-SX

Comment

Originally posted by cabman:
                        Seems when ever I do these long replys my AOL kicks me off for inactivity,the bastards.
                        Simple approach: 1)type what you want to say in a text editor, 2)log on to AOL and copy/paste it into this forum? Then you can share your comments with everyone.
                        Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

Ive played the Yamaha kit a couple times now and i played a different Vpro kit then the one i had played previosly. I still think the Yamaha kit kicks its a$$ and i will probably finally be makin the leap of faith and buying one unless i can finally find a Hart Custom BX to try which doesnt look likely. The module just rocks for anyone looking to do all kinds of crazy ****. Just recreating acoustic drums wont do it for me, i need strange sounds, i need to be able import samples, to chain samples together to call up left and right while playing and if i need to recreate the sound of a dog farting on a friday afternoon whatever im using will just have to be able to do it. I really dig the chain feature too and i guess you can chain like 9 samples up to 47 seconds long, in a row to call up off a pad which would be awesome for live playing, to me anyways. Were even thinking of just havin our bass player handle all guitar leads and whenever bass would be needed behind it id just call up a prerecorded version of the bassline on my kit. Since we plan on using very little guitar this is like an amazing feature for us, especially since our bass player is the best guitarist we know by far... Anyways feel free to lynch me but the Yamaha module can do just crazy **** and to ME its the only way to go to do what i want to do. Flame away!

Comment

To answer the question of what I'm using. Peavey SP/SX sampler w/32 meg, Roland R8m, Digital Music Corp MX8, Alelsis Data Disk, Yamaha DTS 70 for acoustic triggering, Drumkat 3.5, Yamaha DTX ds12 kit, Rolls 206 line mixer, Peavey M3000 power amp, Peavey 210TX cab. An old Rogers memrilock kit 1975 and a Ludwig 6 1/2" chrome brass Supra. A combination of any or all of the above depending on what I'm doing. About the Rolands touchyness, yes I mean the pads, hot spots, blue cone wear, triggering strangeness I've read about here and there. I'll wait for the next generation after they get the bugs out. It's nothing new for me to wait a while for the next step, I've always been glad I did, don't get me wrong, I'm just as amazed by Vdrums as the rest of you are, the first time I saw Fisher whip out a set of brushes and play them, I almost fell out of my chair.

[This message has been edited by jrcel (edited February 12, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by jrcel (edited February 12, 2001).]

Comment

Working...
                            X