Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

kicking out members?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kicking out members?

i know this is probally an inapropriate post for this sight but, im in a band and the majority of us want to get rid of one of our members. we all feel bad for the person because this band is there life and they have nothing else. we feel that it is best for the rest of us and the band if we were without them. what is an easy/gentle way to get rid of a band member?? thanks

buy a gun
    Robert

Comment

Better question: Why the heck is this post in the PRODUCTS forum??? $^)

Comment

Because he considers band memembers as things which you can easily get rid off
        Robert

Comment

yes, I've got some experiance here. The most easy gentle way is to give them something in their drink...if that's what you meant.

or give them the wrong address to the club, or play everything backwards and see if they can cut it..if not, cut them

------------------
          Rob
          Rob

Comment

Originally posted by dion:
            i know this is probally an inapropriate post for this sight but, im in a band and the majority of us want to get rid of one of our members. we all feel bad for the person because this band is there life and they have nothing else. we feel that it is best for the rest of us and the band if we were without them. what is an easy/gentle way to get rid of a band member?? thanks
            Well I could be cheeky about it like the other guys, but...

I've had to do this twice in the last couple of years - both times it was pretty hard.

The best thing is to just be direct, and say what's on your mind, and why, but be final and firm, otherwise the offending member might try to say "well if I stop being an *******, can I stay in the band?".

Make it pretty clear that your mind is made up.

One thing that can help is to just have one or two members deliver the news. Otherwise, it sort of gets to be like everybody ganging up on them.

Chances are if it's one on one, they'll be more open, and more likely to realize that it's really their fault (if they are mature at all).

One thing you can do is leave the door open (but JUST a little) with a comment like, "hey maybe we can get together some time and jam, or maybe if you want to record something some time, etc.

this makes the guy getting canned feel like you still like his playing some, but at the same time doesn't commit you to anything specific.

My situations were:

1. Keyboard player was a total jerk, he was nice to me (mainly because I have a studio he records in) but treated the drummer and guitar player like they didn't know anything about music.

Whenever there was a musical disagreement about something, he'd invariably pull out the "well I'm the only one besides Jay that can read music", or put down the other guys by suggesting they didn't know what they were doing.

He always complained and *****ed about the mix, would play too loud and then complain that he couldn't hear himself.

He would do this in spite of the fact that our guitar player played at a really reasonable volume (lower than any guitar player I've ever worked with) and that all that was coming through the monitors were vocals and keyboards and electronic drums.

This guy had two large Yamaha speakers (15" speakers) fed with 450 watts of Crown right behind him, yet said he couldn't hear himself.

yeah right...

Besides his jerkiness, he also was not that good - he screwed up A LOT, some nights could barely pull his vocals off, and he drank like a fish and didn't have a driver's liscence, so usually his girlfriend would drop him off.

He'd forget parts, lyrics, you name it. One of my songs that I wrote on keyboards he never did learn, so I had to play it and double the bass part in the left hand.

Somehow all of this escaped the guy, he was (and still is) a legend in his own mind...

The kicker for us was he was supposed to upgrade his gear (he was using mainly my gear, which was ok, but still he said he was going to buy some new gear) with $$$ from a lawsuit settlement, but instead took his girlfriend on a cruise!

That was the last straw for me, and at that point the other two guys said they didn't want to play with him anymore.

While the guy was gone on a cruise, we auditioned another keyboard player, that was totally AWESOME (has played classical, jazz, and rock for 30+ years) and a great guy to deal with.

So when numb nuts came back from his cruise, I called him up and said I needed to come by to talk to him.

He got pretty pissed, but eventually got over it, and it worked out because the guy is still kind of worthless, but now I'm a lot better friends with him by NOT playing in a band with him.

In retrospect, we should have canned him a lot earlier.

2. Was a drummer recently - the guy just had a lot of problems, of the personal variety and they began to affect his music.

Since he wasn't being straight about his probs, we just sort of checked out some other players, and found a great guy and then I got to break the news to the old guy that he was out.

He wasn't suprised really, but didn't take it very well, but at the same time said he couldn't really blame us.

Jay Storey

p.s. Another tatic that works well is to replace the offending player with a REALLY GOOD player that smokes them.

Only a total dumb*** will insist they are better than someone that's obviously more talented than them, and it gives the guy that got canned a good excuse (well I was in the band, but then this guy showed up and his chops were awesome) for not being in the band, and makes it seem less personal.

Comment

ide just like to thank everyone for their input

Comment

Working...
              X