Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Played new toys at NAMM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Played new toys at NAMM

Wow you guys are fast.... I m sitting here in my hotel with a 28kbps connection probably paying $5.00/min so I will make this short:

New Roland cymbals: Nice feel, 3 zones on the crash when used with the TDW-1, BUT THE CHOKE RESPONSE IS REALLY SLOW. http://www.sepdrums.com/P1190006.jpg

Nice new racks for the V-Drums, nice new shell colors.

Yamaha DTXTreme: Not too impressed. Yamaha didn't even have a place where people could play it. I had to beg them to try it. It was nice, but I liked the V's better. I really like my SpaceMuffins better .....
    Save your $$$.

DrumTech has a VERY nice kit out. I will have more info on it soon. It uses Remo shells (like another company mentioned on this site quite often), mesh heads (fully baffled - NICE stick response), and positional sensing cymbals. 3 zone snare as well. Very slick, and very cost effective! I think these guys have done their homework and have a real alternative to V's...Here is a pic: http://www.sepdrums.com/P1190030.jpg

Also Hart Dynamics has some excellent new ecymbals out. Chokable crashes and new all metal dual zone rides. Very nice. http://www.sepdrums.com/P1190025.jpg

Pintech didnt show ... Not sure what the deal is there.???..?? THeir booth is there, but empty... Hmmm.

I will have more soon.

For all of my pics so far, go to my site www.sepdrums.com
    and click on NAMM coverage...

Erik
    SEP

[This message has been edited by sepdrums (edited January 20, 2001).]

Originally posted by sepdrums:
    [B]
    New Roland cymbals: Nice feel, 3 zones on the crash when used with the TDW-1, BUT THE CHOKE RESPONSE IS REALLY SLOW. http://www.sepdrums.com/P1190006.jpg
    [B]
    What do you mean really slow? in comparison to the unnatural dead-stop of the old cymbal pads/module anything would be.

Comment

Is the TDW-1 upgrade required for the new cymbal pads?

Comment

The TDW-1 is required in order to get the 3 zones out of the cymbals. Standard TD10's will read them as a piezo/fsr....

Erik
        SEP

Comment

Erik,

I'll be interested to hear more about the new Drum Tech pads. They've been advertised in Modern Drummer but their web site looks like it hasn't been updated in quite some time.

What type of module did you try them with? Any information on shell color options or pricing?

Thanks for scoping out the new e-drum products at NAMM!

Doug
          Roland TD-12, Pearl DRX-1 tom and snare pads, Roland PD-8 pads for cymbals, DW pedals and stands, Pearl and Gibraltar hardware

Comment

Doug...
            The pads were played therough the DMPro. They have taken the DMPro and completely redone the sounds and triggering. I actually liked the sounds. They will offer the kits with or without the DMPro in a few colors - red, wine, blue, chrome, and I am not sure what else.

The kit was advertised in MD last year, but many changes were made - triple zone snare, chokable crash with 2 zones, 2 zone ride and 2 zone hat. VERY nice kit!!!! It will sell for approx. $2350 with a DMPro, and about $500 less without one.

They are revamping their site as we speak. Enter Drum Tech into the game. I think they will do well. I had a lengthy talk with their Engineer. They are very quality driven and have built a sturdy, high quality kit. This is not something that was just whipped up to get into the game. Much thought was taken in designing the snare and cymbal pads. The mesh headded pads are unique in that theyt are fully baffled, so they are not hollow like V's. The response is awesome! The snare has Piezo's arrayed around in it in order to eliminate hot spots. That may bogart the positional sensing compatibility with a TD8/10, but it plays great.... I am excited to get some in.

Erik
            SEP

[This message has been edited by sepdrums (edited January 20, 2001).]

Comment

I'm sure the DrumTech snare could be Y'ed together to utilize one input for head and rimshot don't you think? From the picture I saw (thanks sep) it looked to have a split rim half-n-half setup, is there actually three jacks or one stereo and one mono or what? This would work great for a definite seperation of head, rimshot, and cross stick wouldnt you think? You could actually assign a cross stick sound to one of the rim halves.

Comment

What were those Drum Tech cymbal pads like? Anything worth noting?

Also: my sincere sympathies to the Cali e-drummers dealing with the rolling blackouts...who would've considered that problem when buying your V's...Unbelievable. Hope your leaders can get this crisis nipped.

DJourg.

Comment

The granola eaters wouldn't let anybody build any new power plants, let 'em live with it. (easy now)

Comment

Forgot to thank you when I was thanking FEEFER so thanks SEPDRUMS guy thanks.
                    ~REDMAN~
                    ~REDMAN~

Comment

Great review of NAMM sepdrums. Thanks
                      Buy the way mfrzrdrums, I don't eat granola...

[This message has been edited by dkeim (edited January 22, 2001).]

Comment

Originally posted by dkeim:
                        Great review of NAMM sepdrums. Thanks
                        Buy the way mfrzrdrums, I don't eat granola...

[This message has been edited by dkeim (edited January 22, 2001).]
                        He means the "Liberals", Dkeim... I eat granola, but am a moderate republican, if I were to be classified.

Luckily there are 6 new power plants being built, and 11 more in planning. Unfortunately, none of the 6 will even be up 'till 2004 .

I had a blackout here for 30 mins. last night. And I just bought an 8-plug Belkin 'SurgeMaster Gold' surge protector for my V's. Is this pretty good protection vs. a power surge? Should I even be concerned about one?

------------------
                        Thank Ye,
                        Alex.
                        Thanx. Alex & me V's! http://photos.yahoo.com/flexapr

Comment

Posted by BTKNBNDT:
                          "I'm sure the DrumTech snare could be Y'ed together to utilize one input for head and rimshot don't you think? From the picture I saw (thanks sep) it looked to have a split rim half-n-half setup, is there actually three jacks or one stereo and one mono or what? This would work great for a definite seperation of head, rimshot, and cross stick wouldnt you think? You could actually assign a cross stick sound to one of the rim halves."

Answer: Yes, it is 3 separate piezo zones. The rim zones are not on the actual head-rim, but are on a rim that protrudes out farther than the head-rim, and is split into two zones. The 2 split rim zones are run to a stereo jack, and the center is in a mono. So you can run a stereo cable into a stereo input for the rims(that accepts dual piezos, not piezo/fsr), or you can y-adapt it into two monos. The center is just a standard mono for your snare input.

Yes you can assign a rim shot, and a cross stick sound to the rims.. thats what they had at the show. Pertee deern tootin nifty.... The snares are going to be available as stand alones, as will the kick pads. The kick pads are going to be a great inexpensive upgrade for V-drummers using KD7's IMHO. I am happy to see another player jump in.

Erik
                          SEP

[This message has been edited by sepdrums (edited January 22, 2001).]

Comment

Originally posted by Raffy85:
                            Is the TDW-1 upgrade required for the new cymbal pads?
                            Does this mean the new cymbals won't work with the customs? TD 8

Comment

I would put money on the fact that they won't work with the 8.

Comment

Working...
                              X