Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

No new vdrum module from Roland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No new vdrum module from Roland

Hopes for a new 24-bit drum module with better output sound quality is now a next year issue, no new module (TD-12 or whatever) was announced at NAMM. All we got was 2 new over-priced kits that are basically the same, except for new colors and the v-cymbals on the REALLY expensive session kit. I can't believe Roland still only gives the same old KD-7 kick trigger with a $4000 set of vdrums, with the same old hissy TD-10. That TD-10 was made 5 years ago! C'mon Roland, let's see some motivation. These once-a-year, spit-shine "upgrades" are getting a little frustrating. Just a little disappointed

Naz

All kidding aside, and very seriously, this is the reason I can't justify giving any more of my cash to that company for electronic drum products. I would happily spent money on the XV5080, but not on their drum products. They just don't have a clue.
    Drumkat Turbo 4.5, Emulator X3, Superior 2.1, Roland Fantom XR, DTXtreme III, SPD-20 etc.......

Comment

I don't want to bash the Vdrums here, but --- heck --- Roland you did it again! Offering so much products which are more of the same (or even worser) for so much money (or even more). All the fine people around this forum who were waiting for updates for their comtemporary sets are left alone in cold. Or have to spent another bunch of $$$$ for a tdw-update to have some slight cymbal functionality. Shame, shame, shame ...

Also check out http://209.144.99.11/PRODUCTS/MI/mi_namm_w01/spd6_b.htm
      for the new Roland Octapad. It has 133 sounds (!!!), six built-in drumpads (never seen an octave with only six notes) and no extra inputs. I guess the price will be $ 50 or so ...

Bu the way: Hiroshi, where are the VR-drums?

[This message has been edited by puttenvr (edited January 19, 2001).]
      Robert

Comment

Those new silver E-cymbals from Roland look pretty cool! I know it's not a new upgrade or a new module but hey it's something. Now if the cymbals turn out to bet $270 for one cymbal, yeah Then I'm gonna be pissed. I hope Roland remembers these are basically frisbees with triggers on them. I like the color though.

All this boils down to Marketing. Roland looks at the Market and sees who is still left buying their V-Pros and V-customs and probably said we can still sell X number of units before sales become stagnet. I was in Mars Mausic yesterday and the V-customs are on back Order, they are looking at 3-4weeks before they get anymore. Now that's just in Orlando, I don't know about other areas. It's also a timing issue. With Yamaha's new module being released they probably didn't want to go head to head with them just yet. Being a Marketing Major myself, I believe Roland is following the same formula that Sony did with the release of their Playstation2.

Comment

Although I can't say I completely disagree, there are a few things that I'd like to add to the discussion.

No new module - bad
          New update card - hmmm...I guess if all it adds is the cymbal stuff that's not worth the upgrade, unless we are talking "outstanding" - doubt it...probably more "acceptable" or "better than before" - cymbal control.

I really don't have a problem with my kit. It works very well for me in my little home studio and the few live gigs that I do. It is a much better alternative to micing acoustics for me. I have the v-pro plus two pd-7s with the td-10exp module. I prefer the kd-7 to any of the mesh head kicks. I may look into a vertical kick pad, but definitely not mesh head - too sproingy on the kick.

Also, what I got from what I saw on the web site is that some extra features of the ride (only) require the new tdw-1. The other cymbals only require a td-10. If they are much more comfortable and trigger well and aren't too loud, they may be worth a look - to replace the rubber coated table-tops that I play on now. Again - I love my kit as it is, it can only improve. I have recorded with it to a 1680 and recorded in a great 24 track two inch tape studio with a sweet pearl recording kit. There's not THAT much difference. In fact, it so affords us the time to do it right and gives ALL the control to us. As far as how they sit in a mix...they are better in our own mixed stuff than the "pros".

Anyway - there's my $.02
          redbrick
          My Updated Website: https://blades.technology

Comment

The Japanese Yen is way down agaisnt the dollar, the Japanese economy has been in recession for 11 years. Alot of the cost of these drums is to make up for the crappy rate of exchange between the Dollar and the Yen. But hey it's your money.
            Drumkat Turbo 4.5, Emulator X3, Superior 2.1, Roland Fantom XR, DTXtreme III, SPD-20 etc.......

Comment

Originally posted by jrcel:
              The Japanese Yen is way down agaisnt the dollar, the Japanese economy has been in recession for 11 years. Alot of the cost of these drums is to make up for the crappy rate of exchange between the Dollar and the Yen. But hey it's your money.

The Japanese Yen is connected to the USA dollar and for international bussines all companies work with the dollar. So, I don't think we pay for the exchanges.
              Robert

Comment

Sooner or later the dollars are exchanged for yen, and we're talking a hughe loss. If Roland had US based manufacturing that would be different, but everything except drumshells some hardware and keyboard amps are still made in Japan. And as far as I am aware, employees of Roankd are paid in yen, not dollars.

Comment

Working...
                X