Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

TDW1 - any thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TDW1 - any thoughts

I have a TD10 and am thinking of investing in the expansion unit - any thoughts/advice?

Hi- I recommend it highly. I think all of the members of this here Vdrum would. They are obviously slleping, or they would stand up and shout the virtues of it. If you like your cymals more lively, more slider contol for individual volume, fatter toms...than it may be for you. Or, if you want more than my word, go to the upper right and do a cearch with keyword TDW1......Get it !!
    Roland V-Pro TD20 expanded with V Expressions
    Presonus Firepod
    Reaper
    Acoustic- Spaun drums, Dunnett snare & Paiste Signature Series Cymbals.

Comment

If you like the Roland sounds inside the TD-10 then it's worth buying. If you - like me - think the tdw-1 is the other side of Eden then perhaps you will be disappointed.

Besides the tdw-1 has a bunch of new features as well as improved dynamics and sensitivity.
      Robert

Comment

Just installed my TDW-1 today and man....what a difference. It's not the new sounds or the pre-determined kits that blow me away, it's the difference in dynamics. I have a KD-120 and it was frustrating to have it sound like it wasn't triggering at light forces. Now, it's perfect, soft or thumpin'. The ride actually has a bell now, that's usable. All cymbals are a night and day difference. As far as the factory kits are concerned, I'm diggin' "Birchwood".
        I really didn't have a lot of custom kits saved, so Roland recommended that I not screw with saving the old stuff on a M512 card. They were right. I can't imagine what I'd need from the old kits...and besides, they're in there...I just need to go bring one in and place it in a 1-50 slot.
        VERY cool.

bj

Comment

Hi guys, this is my 1st post. I was also thinking about adding the card to my TD10, and I was looking for comments. I think I'll do it too!

------------------
          Rob
          Rob

Comment

I scanned thru a bunch of the old TDW-1 posts and I still have a few basic questions.
            Do you lose the 50 original sets to be replaced by 50 new ones, or do you keep the original 50 and add 50 more, giving you 100 sets? Also do you lose the preprogrammed sound loops that you can asign to a trigger ( I like a lot of them and I use them to practice to) , so do you lose them and if not or if so, are there new sound loops to play along with? I think this will be a big part in my decision on the card. Thanks

------------------
            Rob
            Rob

Comment

The following Preset Patterns were changed from the non-exp TD-10:
              NO. Name
              1 drums
              2 groovpop
              3 pop rock
              4 big rock
              5 funk 1
              6 funk 2
              11 jazcombo
              23 funk 7/8
              26 hiphop
              36 percloop
              37 funk5/4a
              38 funk 4/4b
              39 cowbell
              40 dbl bass
              42 syn bass
              43 ep chord
              44 strchord
              45 aco bass
              46 brs sect
              50 adlbsolo

I believe you do lose the pattern numbers I mentioned above and there was a fairly recent post about this.

You only get 50 user sets. Of course they give you 50 TDW-1 sets. They also give you access to the original 50 sets (the last 5 of the original 50 were "kit copy" sets and they give you access to 5 new sets to replace them). So you have a choice of copying 1/some/all of the 50 orig. sets to the user area, copying 1/some/all of the TDW-1 sets to the user area or using your mem card to copy/exchange sets to the user area. You can also use sysex97 or other PC programs to save to PC or copy custom kits from PC to the user area. The way I see it, you get a max of 150 sets (TD-10, TDW-1 and customized user kits) plus unlimited PC sets. The down side is that you have to have someplace to save your customized kits. I don't see how anyone would need quick access to more than 50 sets at any one gig.

I think this is the 25th post that attempts to explain the "50 sets" issue.
              Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

Originally posted by Boingo:
                I think this is the 25th post that attempts to explain the "50 sets" issue.
                Appearently Roland isn't making things much easier for people.
                Robert

Comment

I'm aware of the smiley and am not responding in defense of Roland. It's just funny that I re-read my post this morning and almost considered re-writing it. Maybe drummers are not good tech writers by nature or it's one of those things easier done than said. I'll try it again when the 50th request comes in.
                  Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

Maybe I'm some kind of freak or something, but the 50 set, exchange with user, availability of the old kets etc, was never even a little bit confusing to me.

Plugged in the TDW-1, realized that there were a FEW of the original kits that I wanted to use as the basis of some new ones, copied them, got on with my life.

Why is this a hard thing for so many to grasp?

redbrick
                    My Updated Website: https://blades.technology

Comment

Originally posted by redbrick:
                      Why is this a hard thing for so many to grasp?
                      It's not, but when the tdw-1 came out in may 2000 a few people talked about 50 + 50 + 50 + 50 kits. They even summed up the possibilities of having 50 new + 50 old kits on a memory card.
                      Robert

Comment

I see.

So, this is a case where we should discourage rather than encourage people to USE THE SEARCH ENGINE, right? So there is less confusion! <g>

redbrick
                        My Updated Website: https://blades.technology

Comment

Right, and that's why I once adviced to have a FAQ section around here. But no-one picked up the glove. Too much work to make such FAQ section ?
                          Robert

Comment

wow guy's , you seemed so annoyed to answer my TDW-1 card question. Before I bought v drums, I asked a million questions, because I just did not know about them. I have now also answered 2 million questions to guys who do not yet own them and also do not understand how they work. I only asked about the 50 sets, because I did not know, now I do. I thank you for the info

------------------
                            Rob
                            Rob

Comment

I think Putt got it right. What gets "annoying" is when someone refuses to open a manual or attempt to do a search. In this case, we were our own worst enemy by supplying incorrect and/or confusing posts.

Once I got the upgrade, it all made sense. What would really be convenient would be having a memory card which holds more than 50 kits of data. The data being saved is miniscule-I think I read where it is about 2k bytes per kit. The individual kit save file sizes seem to indicate this is true. One dollar for a thousand bytes seems expensive. Uh-Oh! don't mean to go on a Roland bashing tangent.

Comment

Working...
                              X