Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Some Hybrid Questions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Hybrid Questions!

Hey everyone!

Havent been around here for a while (been enjoying my trip to the Netherlands a little too much for the last couple of weeks) but have a few questions for you e-drum, and more specifically hybrid masters.

I am having Precision Drum build me an 18" kick....which I would really like to incorporate into my V-drum setup. By the way the folks at Precision are great, and what fantastic products! Plus going to recover my v-toms with Precision recovering material to match the bass drum!

So here is what I'm thinking about doing:

Ditching the rack.....just takes up way to much space as far as transportion goes.

Now get ready for some questions!

- Mounting 2 v-toms on the bass drum. Bad idea? too much vibration? mistriggers? cross-talk? Or think this might just work?

- Putting other 2 V-toms on a floor mounted dual tom stand, plus clamping a pd-9 on it. same questions as above!

- Getting two double boom cymbal stands (mounting pd-9 slightly above tom, and acoustic cymbal above on other boom)over each tom respectively.

- boom stand acoustic ride...no issues
    - HH stand, with acoustic HH's....no issues

Now for the Bass drum, any thoughts of using a hart ADC (18")? Does anyone know (besides the feel) if this should trigger as well as my kd-120? Pro and cons to the ADC? I have searched on this site for previous posts on the ADC. I am more interested with regards to using it as a bass drum trigger.

Well its kinda late here.....kinda have a little jet-lag....so I hope this post makes some sense.

Thanks a lot in advance for your thoughts guys,

Michael

Electronics: TD-10(TDW-1),V-Concert, KD-120.

Acoustics: 6pc Pearl Master's, 5pc Pearl BLX, 4pc Precision Drum Co. Kit, Zildjian K Custom Dark Ride, Zildjian New Beats, Sabian hh Dark Crashes and Splashes, Wuhan China, Zildjian 20" Swizzle, DW Pedals, Remo Heads, Pro-Mark sticks

I would never put drum pads on a acoustic bass drum because of the reasons you already mentioned.

Another thing to take care off is that some of the acoustic sounds will resound into your drumpads when playing live. The sound of a bass player of female singer can cause the same. These reflections can cause fals triggers or a certain treshold below which nothing sounds anymore or all the dynamics is lost. When playing at home or in a controlled studio room you won't be hindered by this very much, but live and in practice room the problems begin. The trigger settings on the Vdrum modules can correct these problems to a certrain degree.
    Robert

Comment

I'd say that Putt is right on. I don't use the acoustic kick, but do use all acoustic cymbals & snare, with the cymbals mounted to the V-rack.

The kick-mounted toms, well, I don't even like that with acoustic drums. The mounting hardware & displaced mass really affects the bass drum performance in acoustics, and in your case, the vibrations could be a real issue.

My best guess would be to try it if you've already got the mount installed on your bass drum, since what's done is done. As Putt said, vibrations can cause a lot of crosstalk & false triggering. I've had to tweak my PD-100 & PD-120 trigger settings quite a bit to minimize this, and you really do lose a bit of sensitivity. Depending on the type of music that you play, this could be a minor or a very big deal.

The PD-9 should be much easier, as I've had very little problem dialing out the false triggering on my rack-mounted PD-9 & PD-7. Crash cymbal strikes seem to be the biggest culprits when it comes to causing false triggers, so the "dialing in" process will probably be a fairly loud one! settings such as threshold, crosstalk, scan time, and retrigger cancel can all be tweaked to find the sweet spot for your particular setup, not to mention head tension.

I'd be rather wary of the kick-mounted toms, tho. That can be a lot of transmitted vibration, and you might just end up having to lower the sensitivity to such a degree that the toms aren't capable of accurately reproducing a decent dynamic range anymore.

Of course, it may work just fine, too... I really am not qualified to say. Just passing on what I've gotten from doing the hybrid thing. FWIW, I've never had a problem with my acoustic snare false triggering any of my pads. Good luck in your adventure!

-Danny
      -Danny

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_Drum_2112:
        Hey everyone!

Havent been around here for a while (been enjoying my trip to the Netherlands a little too much for the last couple of weeks) but have a few questions for you e-drum, and more specifically hybrid masters.

Where in our small country have you been?

------------------
        My Personal homepage - MPCman's E-drum Picsite! currently with 14 profiles
        Music was my first love...

Comment

Hey thanks for the advice guys. I kinda thought that was going to be the case......but thought it might be worth asking anyways! Just trying to come up with a way to maybe do away with the rack, just because it is such a pain to get into my car.....the thought of stands and a nice trap case are just so appealing to me!

Does anyone know if the Gibraltar racks would fold down a little better than the Roland rack? Perhaps this one: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/.../base_id/45052

Or if it is easy to just take the cross bar off for travel purposes? Will both pd-120 (floor tom positions) be able to fit on this rack?

Also any thoughts on if it would be better to use an ADC on the Bass Drum, or just slapping on a ddrum trigger? I'm starting to think maybe the DDrum option might just be better, because then I could also mic the actual acoustic BD and run it through my mix along with the triggered one.

Hmmmmmm.....

As for the Netherlands....this was my 6th trip over...spent time in Amsterdam, (yeah I know so typical tourist)but I really enjoy a lot of the art museums (especially the Rijksmuseum)also spent two days in Rotterdam, and also got to check out Den Haag.I really enjoy your fantastic country, in fact if I could move there for maybe even a year or two it would be great.....just seems a little difficult to do. Seems each time I visit, I like it even more......and whats not to like really? Friendly people, great culture, great art, great architecture great beer....and so on and so on....

I actually got to spend some time in Amsterdam last December, which although cold, was great just because there was a lot less tourists.

Michael
          Electronics: TD-10(TDW-1),V-Concert, KD-120.

Acoustics: 6pc Pearl Master's, 5pc Pearl BLX, 4pc Precision Drum Co. Kit, Zildjian K Custom Dark Ride, Zildjian New Beats, Sabian hh Dark Crashes and Splashes, Wuhan China, Zildjian 20" Swizzle, DW Pedals, Remo Heads, Pro-Mark sticks

Comment

Working...
          X