Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are Roland PDA120L the best pads for compact toms?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Are Roland PDA120L the best pads for compact toms?

    I’m building a 4-piece kit from the ground up, and already have KD140 for kick and ATV s13 for snare. When researching the best toms, PDA120L look like the obvious choice:
    - Black wooden shells that look super-nice. Design-wise, it’s probably better match for s13 than anything from ATV.
    - Very reasonable price, only $10 more expensive than PDA100L
    - 3-trigger set up with no hot spotting

    I’ll be using TD-15 module and will eventually upgrade to Mimic.

    Are there better tom options I’m not considering? The only downside I can think of is that there’s no version of the same pad that’s larger than 12 inches, but I can live with that. My current floor tom is 12 inches and it’s plenty large.

  • #2
    The PDA120L is nice, but I don't see how it would match the ATV aD-S13 better than the ATV aD-T10. The PDA120L is much cheaper and obviously has a larger playing surface. I think all of the VAD pads play very nicely due to the triple-cone design, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

    Comment


    • #3
      I have tried just about everything on my kit. I am using 4 PDA-120L now and they are the best thus far. Good price, nice triggering. You can see them on my set here in the showcase forum: https://www.vdrums.com/forum/perform...29#post1259629
      TD50X module with Custom Roland Pad set

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by senseiadam View Post
        I have tried just about everything on my kit. I am using 4 PDA-120L now and they are the best thus far. Good price, nice triggering. You can see them on my set here in the showcase forum: https://www.vdrums.com/forum/perform...29#post1259629
        Your set looks awesome, very similar to what I’m going for. I noticed that you went from PDX pads to PDA100Ls and then swapped them out to PDA120L. What was your motivation to go with the smaller toms first, and why did you decide to swap them out again?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by MJB View Post
          The PDA120L is nice, but I don't see how it would match the ATV aD-S13 better than the ATV aD-T10. The PDA120L is much cheaper and obviously has a larger playing surface. I think all of the VAD pads play very nicely due to the triple-cone design, I don't think you'll be disappointed.
          I’m specifically going for shallow toms, both for the acoustic volume reasons and the compactness. So I didn’t even consider T10s, but it’s fair that they would probably match S13 a little closer. What’s interesting is that S13 looks like a better match for 120Ls than Roland’s own digital snare, and ATV’s shallow toms don’t look anywhere close to S13. I’ll know how well it fits when I get everything.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by 4min View Post

            Your set looks awesome, very similar to what I’m going for. I noticed that you went from PDX pads to PDA100Ls and then swapped them out to PDA120L. What was your motivation to go with the smaller toms first, and why did you decide to swap them out again?
            On this set, I started with the PDX-12s. I did not like the dead spots on the pad ,so moved to the PDA-120L which are great. I did not use any PDA-100L pads on this set. Previously on my VAD-506, I did had the full size PDA-100 and it triggered superbly also. I loved my ATV aDrums, but did find the heads a bit too spongy at low tension and too bouncy at high tension. I also like the shallow pads and credit this for selling my VAD-506. I just felt like trying to get the drums in tight in a small space became too difficult with the full size shells. The PDX-12 pads were awesome for this, while the PDA-120 are a good compromise for me.
            TD50X module with Custom Roland Pad set

            Comment

            Working...
            X