Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum FAQs section for answers to forum related FAQs.

Band members *****ing about tom sounds.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AkristaK
    Registered Member
    • 09-1999

Band members *****ing about tom sounds.

I'm playing with a rock band here in Orlando and the guys in the band love the sound of the V's however they hate the "Rose" tom sounds I use. They said the kit sounds great untill I hit the toms, then it sounds like a drum machine.(that would be one expensive drum machine!)

So you guys out there that play or record rock/ alternative music what tom sounds do you use. What sounds the most like acoustic toms you might hear on a rock station? The guys in the band want the V's to sound as acoustic as possible, which okay, I don't blame them, but what a tall order! What "head type" sounds most acoustic? any help would save me a lot of tweaking time!
    This is not meant to start an acoustic Vs. electric thread, since I don't have an acoustic kit.
  • Arriguy
    Registered Member
    • 12-1999

I like the Ballad and Pop toms. To me they have the most realistic sound.

Comment

• Boingo
      Registered Member
      • 12-2000

Originally posted by AkristaK:
      the guys in the band love the sound of the V's however they hate the "Rose" tom sounds I use. They said the kit sounds great untill I hit the toms, then it sounds like a drum machine.

So you guys out there that play or record rock/ alternative music what tom sounds do you use. What sounds the most like acoustic toms you might hear on a rock station?
      I use the Rose toms as the toms of choice for most of my kits. The first time I played them after I upgraded to the TDW-1 I had several people come up and comment on the improvement in the toms. I have seen several posts where Rose was mentioned favorably. So this thread kinda surprises me.

Do other V drummers think this selection stinks too?

I'm sure there are many other choices to comment on but if your settings are the cause, your buds won't like them either.

There is nothing unusual about my settings, i.e., all middle of the road stuff. Regular heads, a little EQ, 1 or 2 pcs of tape muffle (may vary kit to kit), default compression, medium effects/ambience, pitch varies, regular depth, I'm going from memory on this but that's the major stuff.

I normally use on board effects. I think you might want to look at compression, effects and ambience. You can really screw up the sound by overdoing these. Also check your trigger settings. I could see some machine gunning or other problems if these are out of wack. Feefer did an extensive post not long ago explaining each setting. Search it.

As far as acoustic, I'm not going there. It can be very subjective. Is there a particular recording or two where you would like to emulate the tom sound? That could get you some more meaningful answers.
      Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

• Bagman
        Registered Member
        • 08-2001

What module are you using? Have you tried a different kit? I like "Realdeal" because the snare rocks. The toms are not as full as the "Rosewood" kit, which may be a good thing for you. Check your trigger settings against the recommendations in the manual. Its possible in tweaking things you overdid it somewhere in one of the settings. If you haven't customized much, maybe its time to re-initialize the module to get it back to the factory settings and then take it from there. Before that, you could copy the original Rosewood set from memory into a kit that you don't use to see what is different between that and the one you are currently using.

Comment

• drumlogic
          Registered Member
          • 07-2001

go with the ballad toms. I play hardrock/alternative/punk and had the same problem. The rose toms are too perfect sounding. The ballad toms actually have a little touch of snares rattling in them to make them even more realistic.

However I found that ballasd tom 3 and 4 sound kinda nasty so this is what I did:
          tom1 is ballad tom 1 (tuning: 26)
          tom2 is ballad tom 2 (tuning: 24)
          tom3 is ballad tom 2 (tuning: -12)
          tom4 is Pop tom 4 (tuning: 4)

I use pinstripes on all the heads, 1-2 pieces of tape, normal shell depth.

Seriously try this set up!
          For what your doing, I think this may work well.

Good Luck and let us know how it works out.

------------------
          -Drumlogic, V-session, Visulite/roland cymbals, (2)Mackie srm-450's, bbe 482 sonic maximizer,
          -Drumlogic, V-session, Visulite/roland cymbals, (2)Mackie srm-450's, bbe 482 sonic maximizer,

Comment

• GRRAVEE
            Registered Member
            • 01-2002

well.....this is odd.usually getting a subtle tom or stroke would be the issue......the rosewood is a great kit for the steely dan sect....clean crisp...but not a lot of bite to it.i've found i can get a rock tom from almost every tom on the td-10+exp tdw1..just a little tweaking is all.you owe it to yourself to navigate the brain......i've found all of my favorites by looking around for one sound and finding 2 or 3 others in the process....for the generic one button pick....i'd have to say the seventies kit or big rock/ballad.have fun
            -i can levitate birds and no one cares-----------V-CONCERT,CY12H-CY15R/SPD-20-XP-60 V-STUDIO 1824CD,DAUZ PADS,NO RYTHYM AND MISC.CRAP 9"HART SPLASH/AKAI S5000/ASSLOAD OF SAMPLES

Comment

• Boingo
              Registered Member
              • 12-2000

Originally posted by drumlogic:
              The ballad toms actually have a little touch of snares rattling in them to make them even more realistic.
              When I had my acoustics, I spent countless hours trying to eliminate or reduce the snare rattling. Judging by the variations I've seen on muffling devices and choices on the TD's, I'd say I'm not alone. When I heard the tom's and kicks with the "authentic" snare rattle added, I couldn't believe it. How ironic.

The ballad toms seem to be a favorite. I have a few kits with them and an occasional kit or two others have sent me included it. I believe Redbrick used them on that MP3 he recorded.

Speaking of which... what ever happened to that CD he was working on?
              Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

• drumlogic
                Registered Member
                • 07-2001

Im using them on a demo Im recording, they truly are the best.(except ballad tom 3 and 4) Those are kinda mechanical

------------------

Comment

• Bagman
                  Registered Member
                  • 08-2001

Sorry, I forgot to be appropriately sarcastic in my first response to this.

I think you need to say something to your guitar players about the amount of chorus they are using on a certain song, or suggest that their sound is kind of weak or twangy for your liking and then just sit there and wait while they get a sound you like.

Just because we have electronic drums, it does not give people (if you can call guitar players that) the automatic right to offer "constructive criticism" of our sound. When you were playing acoustics, did anyone in you band ever suggest that you tighten up your second Tom a little bit because its just a bit too boomy?

From now on, if it sounds good to me I'm going with it! Electronic drums are not a license for other people to customize my drum sound (I feel better already).

Comment

• gingerbaker
                    Registered Member
                    • 06-2000

'kin Right !!! Bagman for President!!
                    Immensely powerful yet with a liquid cat-quick elegance

Comment

• fartnokker
                      Registered Member
                      • 05-2000

I generally use the Maple toms on most of my kits. I think I'll be giving the Rosewood and Ballad toms another listen, tho...

-Danny
                      -Danny

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

• gingerbaker
                        Registered Member
                        • 06-2000

Ballad toms wide open - clear heads, no muffling. tom 3 is tom 2 tuned lower, tom 4 is another type altogether, soory, I can't remember which.

Also, I love the FunkSeq kit toms--slight musical bend, clean and quick. Perfect for...well, funk!
                        Immensely powerful yet with a liquid cat-quick elegance

Comment

• F.o/GraViTy
                          Registered Member
                          • 03-2002

Perhaps the Amp / Speaker setup being used is mutating the Tom Sound?
                          Everything makes a difference

Comment

• TomLandin
                            Registered Member
                            • 11-1999

Rosewood is one of my favorite sets - all the musicians I play with love them. I usually change between 7 - 10 different drum sets during my gigs. Each song begs for a unique sound - hense the greatness of the V's.

One thing I found which really helped bring out the full body of the toms through the FOH/PA system was to send my output signal thru a BBE sound maximizer. I have an older BBE 462 - but wooow.... It makes a great difference in the richness and clarity of the sound, from the toms to the cymbals. Just my 2 cents worth.
                            Driving a great song is better than driving a great car!!

http://mysite.verizon.net/landin82/

Comment

• drumlogic
                              Registered Member
                              • 07-2001

Hell yea!, Good point bagman.

See I told you guys ballad toms 3 and 4 Suck!

------------------

Comment

Working...