Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

TD27 on a TD20 rack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TD27 on a TD20 rack

Hi Guys!! I have not been around these parts for a long, long time. I walked away from Vdrums some time back, think I am getting back into the game. Hell ov a lot more options than we used to have. So here is where I am at currently...

I still have my TD20 rack, four of the tom pads and two of the cymbal pads. From what I can see, Iwill get a TD27 expansion pack and a new hihat and mix that with my older stuff. A couple of questions...

1) Will the wiring be long enough to make it around my rack? How tough will it be to fish all of that through the rack?

2)If I am replacing the pieces I mentioned it above, would it be just as cost efficient to just get a TD27 kit? I am unloading some acoustic sets to do this, dont think I will be gigging out with this. The new shells look great, but it is more than likely just going to be at the house, look are not a priority. Im just wondering about the feasability of using this with my existing rack and if the wiring is long enough.

Thanks guys

Hey Steve. Good to see you again.

The 27's cable loom is lengthy and reaches around my 30 rack, but the 30 rack had a shorter bar in the middle than the 20 series. It's really going to boil down to how far apart your toms are mounted. It'll likely work fine (does for me), but will be tight. Some cables have a lot more length. Ultimately, I think you'll be fine. For the fourth tom, you'll use Aux 3, which is very long.

Replacement cost really will depend on how much you can get for the older gear. If you just want to sell the above, that'll be a vastly underwater difference compared to a new kit; but if you have more to add, only you can really make the decision after you get the figures. It'll likely come down to the difference with the HH in the kit. I think you should first check the condition of the toms/cones. If they've been sitting all these years, they may have deteriorated a bit. The 27 DP pack is great, as long as the older gear is in good shape. I'm using my 30 kit with the 27 DP pack, and it's fine. However, your toms are about 4-8 years older.

Probably didn't help, but welcome back.
    Alan
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | message | recommendations

Comment

That helps a lot, Alan. I might just get the 50 pack and the VH13 hat. Gosh, hadn’t even thought about the cones deteriorating. Is that an easy fix if need be? I’m going to assume they’re bad, pretty dang old. I hope you are well brother.

Comment

Honestly, the VH-13 works far better with the 50. Plus, the 50 is far easier to edit on.

Cones might be fine. Just pop the heads off and check them. See if they are still capable of expanding above the bearing.
        Alan
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

if hardness cable not long enough you can always get DB25 printer cable and extend them

Comment

Originally posted by Alan VEX View Post
            Honestly, the VH-13 works far better with the 50. Plus, the 50 is far easier to edit on.

Cones might be fine. Just pop the heads off and check them. See if they are still capable of expanding above the bearing.
            I did a lot of research last night and came to the same conclusion. Just get the TD50 exp and the hihat and I may good to go. Honestly, I am all over the map with this. Selling a Spaun kit and maybe a Gretsch bop kit to finance this. Gretsch kit is a collectable and may not let it go.
            Roland V-Pro TD20 expanded with V Expressions
            Presonus Firepod
            Reaper
            Acoustic- Spaun drums, Dunnett snare & Paiste Signature Series Cymbals.

Comment

Dude, don’t sell your Gretsch. That’s a great looking kit. You’ll regret it.
              Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Alan VEX View Post
                Dude, don’t sell your Gretsch. That’s a great looking kit. You’ll regret it.
                Agreed - someday you'll definitely wish you hadn't sold the Gretsch drums. I am using the TD27-KV, and I really like it, especially since the 1.10 update.

Comment

Working...
                X