Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Snare/Hi-Hat Recommendations - TD25

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snare/Hi-Hat Recommendations - TD25

I have a fully converted acoustic to e-kit, DIY. Used UFO triggers, Jobeky Cymbals & hi-hat control... however... I'm always struggling with the right sensitivity and response on the hi-hat and snare, particularly cross-stick and/or rim shots, on the snare side.

So, thinking of biting the bullet and buying both a snare and hi-hat. Am I definitely best to stick with Roland products ? I like what I see in the ATV adrum, and drum-tec options but there are so many options - also seems like mostly sold from outside the US (which isn't a show stopper). I saw someone mention Jobeky shells but I haven't been impressed with hihat and one of the crashes died after about 10 uses and they never followed up on my request for support).

Haven't even started search for hi-hat options yet.

Just for background - I'm mostly recording midi out for studio recordings, using EZDrummer 2 and Cakewalk.

Looking for any recommendations that would work well with the TD25 and for capturing midi accurately.

Thanks in advance

Originally posted by sakendrick View Post
    however... I'm always struggling with the right sensitivity and response on the hi-hat
    My advice (if also the controller is an issue): Get a separated system. These VHx systems (or simliar systems by Jobeky) on hihat stands are not reliable and fail by construction (the "motion unit" causes this): Especially a heavy stroke causes a jolt downwards which can trigger unwanted (closer) stages or even the "chick" though your foot hasn't moved. --- Fix: Use a separated controller pedal instead (like "FD9"). The further advantage fom a quality controller like FD9 will be a wider physical pedal control range and open-closed-stages will be more controllable.
    Last edited by Nick74; 09-16-20, 05:39 AM.

Comment

Thanks - I'll do some research and maybe try one out. Best I can tell though - with the FD9, the hat doesn't actually move/open and close... that wouldn't feel very real to me. Is that correct? Did I see there are new controllers with optical sensors. Are these better in terms of accuracy?

Comment

I have a VH-11 on an Iron Cobra stand and its not bad but not prefect either, not by any stretch of the imaginstion. I will say though that I use a second kick pedal which moves the hihat further out, but the IC stand has just three points of floor contact, ie two legs and the pedal, which means I can angle the hihat back-in towards me, which is a great help.

Comment

Working...
        X