Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Alesis Strike Pro SE, are people using this for playing live ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alesis Strike Pro SE, are people using this for playing live ?

Hi,

Im just wondering if you would consider using a kit like this for playing live music with a band or would you just consider this for practise ?
    Also in general, are there any pro drummers using electronic drumkits for playing live ? Can you give me an example ?

Originally posted by Jondi77 View Post
    Hi,
    Im just wondering if you would consider using a kit like this for playing live music with a band or would you just consider this for practise ?
    Up to you and how you feel about its reliability. No reason why you wouldn't use it - as long as you carried a box-load of spare parts with you. And a soldering iron.

Hi,
    Also in general, are there any pro drummers using electronic drumkits for playing live ? Can you give me an example ?
    Yes - squllions. And me - and many/most of the 1,000s on here.

Howabout Zac Starkey with The Who on arena tours. That do?

zac.jpg
    Last edited by electrodrummer; 09-16-20, 06:15 AM.
    *** Never buy a module without MIDI IN ***
    Yamaha & Roland modules. DTX,TM-2, EC-10, EC10m, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPads. Octapad, SamplePad, Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Zoom ARQ. Synths. Ukes.

Comment

I'm just wondering if you would consider using a kit like this (Ed: Alesis Strike Pro SE, electronic drums in general) for playing live music with a band or would you just consider this for practice?
      In their current state of evolution, I find e-drums more useful for at-home practice than live playing. Yes, of course, it's possible to use e-drums live, but there are many reasons not to. A key reason for using acoustic drums live (and perhaps the most substantive reason) is acoustic drums sound better, play better and are more expressive, and adapt more quickly in the moment than e-drums. E-drums are typically proprietary or semi-proprietary, which makes backup components more expensive and harder to find. High-quality e-drums remain boutique-priced; you don't want to use expensive, irreplaceable instruments live where some degree of damage or possibly total loss are realities. Instead, use an inexpensive acoustic kit, which is readily available and performs as well as (and typically better than) boutique-priced e-drums. Access to electric power and amplification are not always a given for drummers. Indeed, around-town gigs are often situations with no provision for e-drums, so acoustic drums are better suited and more reliable for these kinds of gigs.

Also, in general, are there any pro drummers using electronic drum kits for playing live? Can you give me an example?
      It depends on what you mean by "pro drummer". If you mean famous drummers, there are quite a few. Bill Bruford and Danny Carey both come to mind, though each uses e-drums alongside acoustic drums. If we are talking about non-famous yet professional, working drummers, seemingly a large majority use acoustic drums live, I suspect for reasons as noted above and possibly for other reasons, too.

Comment

Working...
      X