Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

PDA-120LS the best non-digital snare Roland has to offer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PDA-120LS the best non-digital snare Roland has to offer?

Hi all! The PDA-120 snare or tom variation. Can't find much user testimonial on the new VAD pads, specifically the shallow models. Apparently they are side-triggering which is generally superior to the previous models. Does that make it the best analog Roland snare to date? Been searching around and prices are around the same as a pd-125 and cheaper than a pd-128...so confusing.

The 120LS looks to have one side-trigger, or? If that's the case, it should be comparable to the PDX-12.

Comment

So, a better looking pdx-12? Can any VAD owners confirm? Looking for a new snare and these are much cheaper than the pd-128. Trade-offs being pda-120 has no positional sensing? I guess this is Roland telling us that moving forward their toms will no longer have PS and their snare will be digital.

Comment

the PDA-120 has 3 side sensors a la ATV, the PD100 has only one side sensor

Comment

Originally posted by walkinded View Post
          the PDA-120 has 3 side sensors a la ATV, the PD100 has only one side sensor
          Interesting. Any insights onto why folks aren't buying these up or replacing their center trigger pads with these? Are they just too new? I'd take accurate triggering/hotspot reduction over PS but I don't want to grab one without experienced e-drum players weighing in first.

Comment

Originally posted by walkinded View Post
            The PDA-120 has 3 side sensors, a la ATV. The PDA-100 has only one side sensor. (Ed: Changed PD100 to PDA-100, because this seemed like a typo.)
            This is confirmed in the Roland manuals. PDA-100 has a single, side-mounted sensor for the head. PDA-120 has three, side-mounted sensors for the head. Both pads use a single, bottom-of-the-cakepan, center-mounted sensor for the rim. See images from the manual, below.

PDA-100 Image from Roland Manual
            pda100.jpg

PDA-120 Image from Roland Manual
            pda120.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by alwaysalright View Post
              Interesting. Any insights onto why folks aren't buying these up or replacing their center trigger pads with these? Are they just too new? I'd take accurate triggering / hotspot reduction over PS, but I don't want to grab one without experienced e-drum players weighing in first.
              This is my own conundrum, too. I have a bunch of PD-108 and PD-128 pads, and I'm considering converting them to use the cakepans from the newer, VAD, short-stack pads. Another option is just sell the PD-108 / PD-128 pads and buy the newer pads. Two things have caused me to wait. First, the newer pads, while slightly less cost, are still quite expensive. Second, regardless of whether I get the cakepan assemblies directly from Roland or I sell my existing pads and buy the newer pads, I lose positional sensing. I've always said it's an easy decision to trade positional sensing for proper dynamic response. Ostensibly, Roland agrees, because that's exactly what they did in the new VAD pads. Myself, I use positional sensing for a lot of playing techniques, so I'm reconsidering. Indeed though, hot spots are a huge problem in the older pads and at times make these pads virtually unplayable, so in the end it's likely I'll take the plunge.
              Last edited by TangTheHump; 09-15-20, 08:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TangTheHump View Post

This is confirmed in the Roland manuals. PDA-100 has a single, side-mounted sensor for the head. PDA-120 has three, side-mounted sensors for the head. Both pads use a single, bottom-of-the-cakepan, center-mounted sensor for the rim. See images from the manual, below.

pda100.jpg

pda120.jpg
                Thanks all and thanks Tang for the confirmation. If these are just more expensive versions of the standard ATV pads I can understand why some folks aren't rushing out.

Comment

pda100.jpg

pda120.jpg
                  Ah, thanks for the correction! I guess the benefit of this is that you could put the basket in another shell of your choosing. Similar to the other VAD pads, but without paying the complete price overhead. Still not worth it but just saying.
                  Last edited by Excessium; 09-18-20, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Excessium View Post

I guess the benefit of this is that you could put the basket in another shell of your choosing. .
                    how would one do this? is this something that was possible with PD-105 or PD-125?
                    Alesis STRIKE, PD-85 rack toms, PD-105BK floor tom, Mapex snare with ISM-6, PDP MX 22" kick with ISM, iron cobra 900 double pedal, hart e-cymbal2, CY-5 as splash, CY-8, CY-12R, L80 hi-hat with cheap-o trigger with goedrum hi hat controller. EZdrummer2+EZX/Addictive Drums 2 VSTs.

Comment

Originally posted by winterson View Post
                      Excessium wrote:
                      I guess the benefit of this is that you could put the basket in another shell of your choosing.

Winterson wrote:
                      How would one do this? Is this something that was possible with PD-105 or PD-125?
                      Edited by Tang: Oops! I misunderstood the question and thus answered incorrectly! I provided an updated answer in a post below, in response to a follow-up from Winterson. This post is no longer needed, so I removed its content.
                      Last edited by TangTheHump; 09-23-20, 03:17 PM.

Comment

The 13" Shell with the same Triggering Method from ATV is cheaper (drum-tec)

Audiofront eDrumIn. Triggering mainly SD3.

Yamaha Cymbals, drum-tec HiHat Ctl, DW PDP Drumset with Jobeky Triggers and drumtec Pro Snare. Zoom UAC-2 Interface.

Comment

The plastic VAD cakepans are identical in size and shape to the cakepans found in the PD-108 and PD-128, so you can take off the heads, remove the existing cakepans, and drop in the new VAD cakepans (sensors and all).

Though the PD-105 and PD-125 use trigger bars, these pads are standard 10 and 12 inch diameters. I suspect you can simply remove the trigger bars (just undo a few screws inside the pads) and then it's the same procedure as the PD-108 and PD-128; take the heads off the PD-105 and PD-125 and drop in the VAD cakepans.

Important caveat. Unlike the floating lugs of the PD-108 and PD-128, the PD-105 and PD-125 use dual point lugs with fasteners that protrude into the shells. These shell mounted lugs are similar to the dual point lugs found in the VAD pads, which the VAD cakepans account for. So, there should be no problem with the PD-105 and PD-125, as long as the lugs don't protrude inside the shells differently from the VAD pads.
                          i think you misunderstood my question. i don't mean put the new VAD cakepans in the PD-105/125, i mean can you take the PD-105/125 and drop their "cakepans" (if they have them) into an a2e shell
                          Alesis STRIKE, PD-85 rack toms, PD-105BK floor tom, Mapex snare with ISM-6, PDP MX 22" kick with ISM, iron cobra 900 double pedal, hart e-cymbal2, CY-5 as splash, CY-8, CY-12R, L80 hi-hat with cheap-o trigger with goedrum hi hat controller. EZdrummer2+EZX/Addictive Drums 2 VSTs.

Comment

Originally posted by winterson View Post
                            I think you misunderstood my question. I don't mean put the new VAD cakepans in the PD-105 / 125; I mean can you take the PD-105 / 125 and drop their "cakepans" (if they have them) into an a2e shell.
                            Ah! Sorry. My mistake! Also, not only did I misunderstand your question, I mixed up the PD-105 / PD-125 with the PD-100 / PD-120! So, here is the correct answer:

The PD-105 and PD-125 each use a cakepan and the cakepans drop into equivalent sized acoustic drum shells (10 and 12 inches, respectively). No modification needed; just drop the cakepans onto the bearing edges of acoustic drum shells and place mesh heads over top. However, the same caveat I mentioned earlier applies. The PD-105 and PD-125 use dual point lugs with fasteners that protrude into the shells, and the cakepans account for these fasteners. If the lug fasteners in the shells you are using protrude more than the Roland fasteners, then the cakepans may not fit, in which case you'd need to change the fasteners.
                            Last edited by TangTheHump; 09-23-20, 03:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X