Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

VAD Cakepans as Drop-in Replacements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VAD Cakepans as Drop-in Replacements

Does anyone know if the VAD cakepan internals (meaning, the entire, plastic cakepan, complete with hybrid sensor array and output jack) are available as drop-in replacements for previous Roland pads? Specifically, I've got multiple PD-108 and PD-128 pads, and I'd like to upgrade their internals with VAD hybrid sensors, to eliminate hot spots. Ideally, I'd be able to order the cakepans (complete) and drop them into my pads, easy peasy. Has anyone tried ordering these? Any idea of cost?

Ultimately, I know this is a question for Roland, and I'll call my local Roland head office next week to find out. However, if anyone has experience with this, I'd appreciate your feedback. Thanks!
    Last edited by TangTheHump; 08-09-20, 02:15 PM.

Originally posted by TangTheHump View Post
    Does anyone know if the VAD cakepan internals (meaning, the entire, plastic cakepan, complete with hybrid sensor array and output jack) are available as drop-in replacements for previous Roland pads? Specifically, I've got multiple PD-108 and PD-128 pads, and I'd like to upgrade their internals with VAD hybrid sensors, to eliminate hot spots. Ideally, I'd be able to order the cakepans (complete) and drop them into my pads, easy peasy. Has anyone tried ordering these? Any idea of cost?

Ultimately, I know this is a question for Roland, and I'll call my local Roland head office next week to find out. However, if anyone has experience with this, I'd appreciate your feedback. Thanks!
    I am not sure but, Roland will likely updade all their older PD with the newer basket on smaller size shell, just like what ATV did, they have already the basket done for several size, they have already production running for both, it's just different assembly component, not RD engineering.
    Last edited by Chris K; 08-09-20, 03:13 PM.

Comment

i wish.. but in my view, they're not going to sell them (on purpose) they could have sold pd-125 baskets years ago
      (for a to e drummers) but they didn't do that either .. if they would sell VLAD baskets separate, i would upgrade
      all my a to e toms to 3 cones.. ..maybe ATV one day sells their baskets separate (maybe good idea ?)
      but in my opinion roland would rather have customers buy complete pads ..
      Audio | Video | Roland/Yamaha e-kit | Sonor/Gretsch a-kit | Zildjian/Sabian/Ufip cymbals

Comment

Originally posted by Ericdrumz View Post
        i wish.. but in my view, they're not going to sell them (on purpose) they could have sold pd-125 baskets years ago
        (for a to e drummers) but they didn't do that either .. if they would sell VLAD baskets separate, i would upgrade
        all my a to e toms to 3 cones.. ..maybe ATV one day sells their baskets separate (maybe good idea ?)
        but in my opinion roland would rather have customers buy complete pads ..
        Agree with this. In general Roland are not interested in the DIY market. They want customers to buy their complete kits because they make the most money this way. For those who want something lesser or are looking to DIY, they have their external trigger series.

Comment

Thanks (everyone) for the feedback thus far. I don't view my request as a DIY endeavor. After purchasing a Roland flagship kit and discovering the hot spot problems firsthand, and then reading pages upon pages of reports of this problem on the Internet (reports about previous Roland flagship kits and about the kit I bought), it always amazed me Roland could ship such a fundamentally defective product. Now with the PD-140DS and VAD pads, finally, Roland has acknowledged the hot spot problems and has addressed them. So, all I want is for Roland to fix my defective PD-108 and PD-128 pads, all which came, brand new, direct from Roland. The hot spots make the pads unfit for purpose and the easiest fix I (now) know of is to swap in Roland's own solution - the VAD 10 inch and VAD 12 inch cakepan trigger arrays. Ideally, Roland would cover the cost of fixing the pads, but I'm willing to pay some or all of the cost, as long as the price is reasonable.
          Last edited by TangTheHump; 08-10-20, 07:24 PM.

Comment

Roland has acknowledged the hot spot problems and has addressed them.
            If ATV would not be on the map and patent expired, you would never saw these change, 3 cones no hotpost, shell type and newer thin analog cymbal cy-16r-t,cy-14c-t. all copied from ATV. Roland change with competition, because of the patent expired they are forced to follow market now, they can't really site in zone comfort.
            https://www.roland.com/us/products/cy-16r-t/
            https://www.roland.com/us/products/cy-14c-t/
            Last edited by Chris K; 08-10-20, 07:43 PM.

Comment

Chris K wrote:
              If ATV would not be on the map and patent expired, you would never saw these change, 3 cones no hot spot, shell type and newer thin analog cymbal cy-16r-t, cy-14c-t. All copied from ATV. Roland change with competition, because of the patent expired they are forced to follow market now, they can't really sit in zone comfort.
              I think a lot of people agree with your assessment, Chris.

What I find interesting is Roland sold three generations of V-Drums kits (TD-10, TD-20, and TD-30) and each generation has significant hot spot problems. (i.e. Any of the kits with mesh heads and center-mounted triggers exhibit hot spots.) I find it almost impossible to believe, either initially or somewhere along these generations, that Roland didn't become aware of these problems. Reports at retailers and on the Internet are frequent. When I bought my TD-30KV kit, one of the things Roland retailers told me is V-Drums have hot spots whereas the biggest competing e-drums at the time (Yamaha) did not. So, Roland's own retailers certainly knew. I myself did not realize the degree of playability issues the hot spots presented, but I sure did once I owned the kit for a while.

How is Roland going to handle this now that they have fixes in the form of VAD cakepan trigger arrays? Will Roland provide these arrays for relatively insignificant cost to owners of previously defective mesh pads? (Defective by design, I mean.) Or, will Roland ignore these customers, hoping the customers buy expensive, new V-Drums pads and/or kits?

I'll be watching to see how this pans out and how Roland responds to my own request. I'm glad Roland acknowledged and addressed the hot spots, but as a customer who paid the company for flagship V-Drums pads that came with hot spots, I want a fix (from Roland) that is significantly more attractive than "Buy new VAD pads at full retail price."

Comment

How is Roland going to handle this now that they have fixes in the form of VAD cakepan trigger arrays? Will Roland provide these arrays for relatively insignificant cost to owners of previously defective mesh pads? (Defective by design, I mean.) Or, will Roland ignore these customers, hoping the customers buy expensive, new V-Drums pads and/or kits?
                "
                Unfortunately it's business, they will likely use the new pancake type and release them with lower shell size like PD128 for aka new PD130. Older will get discontinued with time, all newer mesh kit vad\small shell size will use new pancake system. They will just get the transition for all newer kit.
                Last edited by Chris K; 08-12-20, 07:05 PM.

Comment

I'll be watching to see how this pans out
                  lol, no pun.. but imo Roland also has 'memory loss' for older modules.. (they don't look back) for example :
                  now that a td-27 has better sounding snares ..why don't they 'reward' td-50 buyers with 'updated' snare sounds
                  through a fix/ update.. that can be downloaded free.. i think it's a matter of 'replacing' or updating ghost note samples
                  on a td-50 to improve it.. and just leave the old sounds.. but 'add' some new.. (and also add another bonus hihat)
                  they 'could' do that for people who bought a higher priced module .. (my opinion)
                  Audio | Video | Roland/Yamaha e-kit | Sonor/Gretsch a-kit | Zildjian/Sabian/Ufip cymbals

Comment

Status update. Before contacting Roland, I've been doing research on VAD rack tom and floor tom pads. I now realize these pads do not support positional sensing. So, it's one step forward given there are no hot spots (an important step for sure) yet a step backward (too) due to foregoing positional sensing. I'm feeling hypocritical, because I've often said I would swap positional sensing for proper dynamic response, however, a huge reason I bought into the V-Drums platform is positional sensing. I've been hoping to see improvements in positional sensing on toms (not a downgrade) and realize I've got more thinking to do before contacting Roland about availability of VAD cakepan trigger arrays.

Comment

What I find interesting is Roland sold three generations of V-Drums kits (TD-10, TD-20, and TD-30) and each generation has significant hot spot problems. (i.e. Any of the kits with mesh heads and center-mounted triggers exhibit hot spots.)
                      It's funny that a guy working on his computer in his living room found a way to deal with hot spots with centre mounted cones, while a multi-million company with loads of resources didn't even bother.
                      DTX700, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH
                      Kit Pix http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=613

My new venture, HiEnd Speakers. : voglosounds.com

Comment

Perceval wrote:
                        It's funny that a guy working on his computer in his living room found a way to deal with hot spots with centre mounted cones, while a multi-million company with loads of resources didn't even bother.
                        The reference to "a guy working on his computer in his living room" is eDRUMin, yes?

Comment

Yep!
                          DTX700, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH
                          Kit Pix http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=613

My new venture, HiEnd Speakers. : voglosounds.com

Comment

Hi,

With each generation of flagship module, Roland has released new pads.
                            TD-10 => PD-100 / PD120
                            TD-20 => PD-105 / PD-125 VH-12
                            TD-30 => PD-108 / PD-128 VH-13
                            TD-50 => PD-140DS / CY18DR
                            TD-27 => PDA-100-120-140

Don't you think that Roland for its new flagship, will not release new pads?

It still sounds like marketing, but I wouldn't be surprised if Roland would release hypotetic PDA-105-125-145 with dual jack / USB support.
                            I also think that Roland could easily (in my opinion) add a 4 sensor / cone a bit like the PD-140DS while keeping the jack support.
                            The future will tell
                            In any case, a TD-60 with double Jack / USB support on all trigger inputs to be compatible with new and old PDAs does not seem so incredible to me.

So if Roland has to keep the PS on the toms for his new flasgship he will have to release new pads and we will still have to get our hands on the wallet.
                            TD20X , First Mds-10 , 3 pd-120 2 pd-100 => Converted to Pd-125 / Pd-105 , 1 Kd-120, 1 Vh-12 , 2 Cy-14 , 1 Cy15 , and 1 Cy-8 Vst Drum and a Terratec Phase 88 to connect Vdrums between Computer / Ludwig 3Ply Maple/poplar/maple 70's era

Comment

Spent a bit of time with the new Roland toms, to be clear digital snare is performing better (more dynamics, so it does make sense to offer digital toms and more digital ins on the module in the future.

The new Roland Vad toms have also hotspots but much more to the rim where the Roland logo is printed on, on bigger sizes two additional ones (oriented in a triangular shape)....it is way less annoying, the distribution of the sensitivity is much more consistent than center trigger, way easier to play.

In short: I think, they will offer everything in digital and feature a new hi-hat in the future.
                              Last edited by Ribot; 08-20-20, 04:15 AM.
                              Desktop PC I5 Asus, Asus P8Z77, RME AIO, RME ADI2pro, RME Digiface USB, Mac Air 2014, Zoom Tac2r, Apollo Twin MKI Solo TD30, Vh13, Drum Tec pro pads, BFD3, Henry Hirsch, Peter Erskine, Evil Drums, Superior 3.0, Decades, Cubase 10, Reaper, Ludwig 67 Kit all sizes from 22, Ludwig Cob, 4*14, Slingerland 50s, Paiste Modern Ess, Zildjian Constantinople

Comment

Working...
                              X