Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Silence that VH-10/11 hat!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silence that VH-10/11 hat!

​Tired of the clackety-clack of your VH-10/VH-11 hats? Cut a circle with a hole in it out of molefoam, and stick it on the base/controller. Does not in any way affect the playability and I swear it makes foot splashes easier too. Mine is dead silent now.

molefoam.jpgIMG_2554 copy.jpg
    Attached Files
    Module: TD-9v2. Kick: KD-8, pedal: Iron Cobra with KAT Silent Strike beater. Hats: VH-10 with Tama Swivel hi-hat stand. Snare: PD-120. Toms: 3 x PD-80R. Crashes: CY-12RC, CY-14. Ride: CY-15R. Aux: BT-1.

Already applied something similar heheheh!

I'm trying to eliminate the noise of the metal clutch hitting against the plastic plunger though, not just the cup. (Not the same as your molefoam suggestion - but I like it!)

1128012_18082_popup.jpg

So I bought a Gibraltar Hi-Hat Cup felt, as it was the thinnest and highest density I could find (Also I didn't want to cut anything or get fraying over time) this being more of a deluxe option.

As I said though, mine sits on top of the plunger, significantly altering the feel. Yes I completely killed chick noise as intended, but unexpectedly, I really enjoyed the new feeling of my hi-hat!

It's a transformative experience away from what an acoustic hi-hat should feel like - which is why I don't recommend it widely - but if you're like me, you might take a liking to a very comfortable, less fatiguing, very meaty hi-hat experience. The stiffness of the felt is really good. I've kept it there ever since I did this.
    Attached Files
    ◾ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ◾ MegaDRUM
    ◾ Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ◾ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ◾ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring ◾ Pearl THMP-1
    PA Comparison Sheet

Comment

Not sure what you mean by "the metal clutch hitting the plastic plunger." Can you post a picture of your fix applied?
      Module: TD-9v2. Kick: KD-8, pedal: Iron Cobra with KAT Silent Strike beater. Hats: VH-10 with Tama Swivel hi-hat stand. Snare: PD-120. Toms: 3 x PD-80R. Crashes: CY-12RC, CY-14. Ride: CY-15R. Aux: BT-1.

Comment

IMG_20200725_193803.jpgIMG_20200725_193350.jpg

Here you go
        ◾ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ◾ MegaDRUM
        ◾ Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ◾ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ◾ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring ◾ Pearl THMP-1
        PA Comparison Sheet

Comment

Ah, I see. I tried that before, but it kills the plunger action. Maybe if you cut the center hole bigger, so it would go around the moving parts.
          Then again, if you like it \_(ツ)_/

Comment

Just curious... Do you guys use the felt on the top of the controller solely for silencing it or it is also to "protect" somehow the hi hat for extending its or the controller life?

I just left the original metal/rubber washer.
            Ronaldo B.

Comment

My “fix” only addresses the acoustical noise from the hihat cymbal pad coming in contact with the controller. The controller itself rests on top of the felt washer that came with my hihat pedal. I don’t put anything on top of the “plunger” part of the controller; it feels squishy and it messes up the playability. It also doesn’t do very much to reduce the noise. Your mileage may vary.

I don’t worry about protecting the unit; it was literally designed to take a beating.
              Last edited by monospace; 09-01-20, 04:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kabonfaiba View Post
                I'm trying to eliminate the noise of the metal clutch hitting against the plastic plunger though, not just the cup. (snip) So I bought a Gibraltar hi-hat cup felt, as it was the thinnest and highest density I could find. (Also, I didn't want to cut anything or get fraying over time, this being more of a deluxe option.) As I said though, mine sits on top of the plunger, significantly altering the feel. Yes I completely killed chick noise as intended, but unexpectedly, I really enjoyed the new feeling of my hi-hat!
                I did the same with my VH-13, placing an extremely thin felt over top of the sensor plunger to eliminate metal-to-plastic contact. Like you, I find this reduces noise considerably and makes the hats and pedal feel much better, providing more give for pedal work. I had to cut the felt myself, to achieve the thickness required so as not to throw off the VH-13 calibration algorithms and triggering.

VH-13 mods for better feel and quieter pedal:
                https://www.vdrums.com/forum/general...-quieter-pedal

See the second photo (Felt Lined VH-13 Bottom Hat) in the link above.
                Last edited by TangTheHump; 09-01-20, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Good stuff guys.
                  Thanks for replying.

I will try that, with a thin felt and see what I get

Ronaldo B.

Comment

Monospace wrote:
                    I don't put anything on top of the "plunger" part of the controller; it feels squishy and it messes up the playability. It also doesn't do very much to reduce the noise.
                    My experiences with this are quite different, but perhaps this is because I'm using the two-piece VH-13 hats. The noise of the metal clutch hitting the plastic sensor plunger is considerable, sharp, and clanky. And because I prefer the hats slightly more open at rest than may be typical (to provide a wider range of pedal movement), the gap between the clutch and plunger is greater and the amount of noise due to metal hitting plastic is more pronounced. Placing a carefully tailored felt over the sensor plunger drastically reduces this noise, makes hi-hat pedal work feel much better, and (when the thickness of the felt is cut correctly) has no impact on triggering performance.

Monospace wrote:
                    I don't worry about protecting the unit (Ed: plastic sensor plunger); it was literally designed to take a beating.
                    Actually (speaking with equal amounts of respect for your experiences and my own, and a bit of sarcasm thrown in), it is likely the unit is designed to fail. That's the way consumer products are made these days, without regard for parts that take the most wear and are likely to break, because failure means replacement revenue for the manufacturer and everyone in the revenue stream. I'm not singling out Roland and nor am I suggesting Roland specifically designs for failure. Rather, design / build for short lifespan and repeated replacement is a general mentality that seems to permeate all companies and all modern, consumer product design these days. Spotting weak design points and reinforcing / circumventing them helps greatly with reliability and longevity, at lest this has been my experience.
                    Last edited by TangTheHump; 09-01-20, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TangTheHump View Post

My experiences with this are quite different, but perhaps this is because I'm using the two-piece VH-13 hats.
                      Yes. My solution is specifically for the VH-10 and VH-11, hats with a top cymbal and a bottom controller.

Comment

Originally posted by Monospace View Post
                        Yes. My solution is specifically for the VH-10 and VH-11, hats with a top cymbal and a bottom controller.
                        Thanks for the clarification. And yes, now that I think more about VH-10 / VH-11 versus VH-12 / VH-13, the single cymbal hats do not have the chamber present in the dual cymbal design. That chamber greatly acoustically amplifies the sound of the clutch hitting the sensor plunger, so it's quite likely this causes our differing experiences. Thanks for the follow-up! :-)

Comment

Adding a felt to reduce the metal click is the wrong solution IMHO. Just the slighty lower the hihat clutch so the top part is already slightly covering the bottom part. Take very small steps to keep to distance as large as possible while avoiding the 'click'.
                          E-kit: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vpx92wez8v...3558.jpg?raw=1
                          A-kit: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vxkwbj1rv7...345-1.jpg?raw=1
                          TD-30, KT10, PD-105/125, 13" DIY + BT-1, VH-11/CY14/15/5, PM-30, HD-280 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by djska View Post
                            Adding a felt to reduce the metal click is the wrong solution IMHO. Just slightly lower the hi-hat clutch so the top part is already slightly covering the bottom part. Take very small steps to keep the distance as large as possible while avoiding the "click".
                            This approach is a solution to the clicking noise, yes, though I'm not sure it protects the plastic sensor plunger. (i.e. The plastic may still wear due to metal contact with the clutch.) Moreover though, this approach comes with a limitation: The travel of your hi-hat foot pedal is now limited to the travel of the sensor plunger. This would not work for me because, for purposes of balance and stroke, I endeavor to match the travel of my hi-hat pedal with that of my bass drum pedal(s).
                            Last edited by TangTheHump; 09-02-20, 02:51 PM.

Comment

If you look at the photo I posted, I’m not using a felt washer. I cut a circle out of self-adhesive molefoam that sits on top of the plastic controller base, but doesn’t touch or interfere with the movement of the “plunger” at all. All it does is eliminate the impact noise of the top cymbal coming down on the controller.
                              Last edited by monospace; 09-03-20, 02:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X