Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Headphones recommendation after Sony MDR-7506 and Beyerdynamic DT 770 M

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headphones recommendation after Sony MDR-7506 and Beyerdynamic DT 770 M

I'm a Roland TD-9 module user who's been using Sony MDR-7506 headphones for years to general satisfaction. While the highs are a bit bright for my taste, the clarity is great and the bass is decent. My major complaint is that they do not isolate my ears from my sticks hitting the VH-11 high hats and other cymbals. I'm been hoping that if I use better sound isolating headphones I can play at lower volume and protect my ears better. So after a bit of research, I first bought some ZSN-PRO IEM which are way too bright for edrums, but good for the iPhone and iTunes. Most recently l bought the Beyerdynamic DT 770M 80ohm headphones which are comfortable and have fantastic sound isolation and great bass, but the mids and highs are too muted and the whole sound seems a bit muted and dull, though relaxing like I'm playing drums in a well insulated sound studio. I'm listening from the headphones 1/4in jack on the TD-9. Now, i know the Beyerdynamics are 80ohm, while the Sonys are lower, perhaps 32ohm, so there's a difference in volume. So I was wondering if the Beyerdynamics would sound better if I plugged them into an eq'd headphone amp or into an audio interface like a focusrite scarlett hooked up to my my mac book pro and using Superior Drummer 3. Eventually I'd like to be using SPD3, but would also like the flexibility to listen directly with my TD-9, or one day soon, a TD-27. So, given my complaints about the two headphones and what I'm looking for, can someone recommend another brand and model that might deliver the isolation with good bass and great clarity of mids and highs like the Sony delivers? I'm hoping to spend $200 or less. Thanks for your help.

We have numerous topics related to headphones. I’d highly suggest searching/reading through those recent posts.
    Alan
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | message | recommendations

Comment

I found your post informative regarding the MDR7506 and DT 770's. I use Sennheiser HD-280 Pro's powered by my USB audio interface (Behringer UMC202HD). They have good isolation and sound balanced. They don't bother me when I wear them for an hour or two to practice.

Just remembered to add I have Shure SCL5 in ears - they sound great but for some reason I prefer the HD-280's.
      Last edited by dsteinschneider; 07-17-20, 07:23 PM.
      Ludwig Accent 5 piece kit | UFO Drums ebridges, 3 ply mesh heads and rim protectors | Yamaha PCY135 on Ludwig stand with DIY hall effect sensor | Yamaha PCY155 ride | DIY Pintech 2 zone crashes with Goedrums piezo's - Myrk membranes| eDRUMin ED10 | Cantabile VST host | Superior Drummer and Jamstix kits | Alto TS115a monitors | IK ARC 3

Comment

Originally posted by Alan VEX View Post
        We have numerous topics related to headphones. I’d highly suggest searching/reading through those recent posts.
        Alan, I’m quite aware of the other numerous posts and have looked through them. My post was quite specific and soliciting advice that was based on my exact needs.

Comment

Pardon the suggestion.
          Alan
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

A simple headphone amp will make all the difference. I have been using this cheap Behringer headphone amp to adjust levels. You can find even cheaper Chinese models on Amazon nowadays. Works a treat.
            Module: TD-9v2. Kick: KD-8, pedal: Iron Cobra with KAT Silent Strike beater. Hats: VH-10 with Tama Swivel hi-hat stand. Snare: PD-120. Toms: 3 x PD-80R. Crashes: CY-12RC, CY-14. Ride: CY-15R. Aux: BT-1.

Comment

I appreciate the suggestions thus far. I don’t fully understand why a headphone amplifier or usb audio interface would alter the sound profile besides simply increase the volume potential, assuming there is no external EQ modification. It turns out Sony 7506s are 63 ohm impedance vs the Beyerdynamic 770Ms which are 80ohm, so not much difference, but perhaps a better power to impedance match can make the headphones really sound fuller. I’m certainly willing to try a headphone amp if it’s affordable and had some EQ control.

The other thing that occurred to me was that perhaps the Beyerdynamic 770Ms need to be “burned in”, though it doesn’t seem to be necessary according to their site. I’ve already boxed them up to return them, but am willing to try again. And I’m not opposed to IEM, though I do prefer the ease of wearing of regular headphones. Like I said initially, I do love the Sony’s, just wish they were a tad less bright and had much better isolation.

Does anyone have an opinion of how the Vic Firths sound compared to the Sony 7506s?

Comment

Originally posted by monospace View Post
                A simple headphone amp will make all the difference. I have been using this cheap Behringer headphone amp to adjust levels. You can find even cheaper Chinese models on Amazon nowadays. Works a treat.
                How do you mount your amp on your kit?
                ATV aDrums Artist expanded kit, Mimic Pro. Ludwig 1967 black oyster pearl five piece, Zildjian A custom crashes, A. Zildjian ride and hats.

Comment

I listened to a lot of headphones at Guitar Center a year afgo and thought the Yamaha HPH-MT8 were the best there for $200.
                  Audio Technica M70X were good too but usually around $300.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Warren View Post
                    I listened to a lot of headphones at Guitar Center a year afgo and thought the Yamaha HPH-MT8 were the best there for $200.
                    Audio Technica M70X were good too but usually around $300.
                    Reminded me of a story... When Gerry (JMan) and I went on our HP GAS attack last year, we both bought and compared several sets of HPs. (ATH, Bose, Sony, Focal, etc.) We both bought the 50Xs together and discussed them. We both loved them. He then bought the 70Xs and said he liked them as well. He said they were a tiny bit flatter than the 50Xs. (in a good way) His main complaint was the 70's head band sides were made cheaper than the 50Xs for some reason and thought they'd snap. (the parts are plastic on the 70's) After he researched, he found many people actually proving that defect. There are many reviews on Amazon, etc. about this issue. He wrapped both sides with a ton of construction tape so they wouldn't break. He kept them because his favorite color was blue.

I highly recommend the ATH-M50Xs for e-drumming: https://amzn.to/36dR0hQ
                    Alan

Comment

Originally posted by RIneuron View Post

How do you mount your amp on your kit?
                      I don't. It sits on a small sidetable next to my throne, where I keep my beer and my snacks.
                      But if you want to mount it on your kit, some Velcro straps would do the trick quite nicely.
                      Module: TD-9v2. Kick: KD-8, pedal: Iron Cobra with KAT Silent Strike beater. Hats: VH-10 with Tama Swivel hi-hat stand. Snare: PD-120. Toms: 3 x PD-80R. Crashes: CY-12RC, CY-14. Ride: CY-15R. Aux: BT-1.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan VEX View Post

Reminded me of a story... When Gerry (JMan) and I went on our HP GAS attack last year, we both bought and compared several sets of HPs. (ATH, Bose, Sony, Focal, etc.) We both bought the 50Xs together and discussed them. We both loved them. He then bought the 70Xs and said he liked them as well. He said they were a tiny bit flatter than the 50Xs. (in a good way) His main complaint was the 70's head band sides were made cheaper than the 50Xs for some reason and thought they'd snap. (the parts are plastic on the 70's) After he researched, he found many people actually proving that defect. There are many reviews on Amazon, etc. about this issue. He wrapped both sides with a ton of construction tape so they wouldn't break. He kept them because his favorite color was blue.

I highly recommend the ATH-M50Xs for e-drumming: https://amzn.to/36dR0hQ
                        Namm is really bad for GAS. I think it was 3 years ago that I tried the Audeze LCD XC's and had to have them. They made me a "deal" for $1200. It is actually worth it because mixes and drum edits translate across mulitple systems easily and they are only 20 ohms. They also sound amazing to listen to with low end that is hard to comprehend from a headphone. They are doing an open LCD1 now for $400 that is pretty good but I would probably prefer the Audio Technica's.

Comment

The breaking of plastic parts on headphones is quite common, the ok (for the price range) Shure 840 (I would prefer AT 50x) snap after 1-2 years so that you have to glue them with airplane glue model....also the very overrated and weird sounding Focal Spirit Professional had this flaw, even on my very cool Fostex TH 610 the screws and springs (connecting the ear cups) broke and went missing after 2 years, very annoying, the best quality and very cool and simple construction of all headphones I run into are Shure 1540, very clever, light and easily (they stay in place solid) adjustable (but they cannot compete with Fostex TH610 in terms of sound).

Fostex and Shure 1540 isolate ok, not best.....the most isolating closed headphones I tried, were older (Blue) Ultrasone (older discontinued model 650 pro), but my ears hurt and became instantly sweaty, I hated the harsh, trebly sound, perhaps they have improved, they also manufacture the new Adam Sp5 which are perhaps quite interesting....

For this reason I am not sure if an extra tight fit and sealed (it has to have a certain pressure on your ear/head => that old blue headband Ultrasone 650 pro had that) cushion are that comfortable.....
                          Last edited by Ribot; 07-19-20, 06:15 AM.
                          Desktop PC I5 Asus, Asus P8Z77, RME AIO, RME ADI2pro, RME Digiface USB, Mac Air 2014, Zoom Tac2r, Apollo Twin MKI Solo TD30, Vh13, Drum Tec pro pads, BFD3, Henry Hirsch, Peter Erskine, Evil Drums, Superior 3.0, Decades, Cubase 10, Reaper, Ludwig 67 Kit all sizes from 22, Ludwig Cob, 4*14, Slingerland 50s, Paiste Modern Ess, Zildjian Constantinople

Comment

Just my 2-cents and for what it's worth. . .
                            I've gone through about six sets of different HP's (all < $200 so can't compare to pricier models). Without a doubt for edrumming my favorite are the ATH-M50's.

Comment

Agree with many here - the M50x works well for edrums. The big drawback is that isolation is just "OK".

I just spent a week with the Sony MDR-7520. Probably the best isolation I've heard outside of ANC models. Ultimately I didn't care for the sound signature though and prefer the (much) cheaper M50x.
                              ATV aDrums, ATV aD5, eDRUMin, Presonus Quantum 2, SD3

Comment

Working...
                              X