Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Drum-tec vs. Roland vs. Jobeky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by A-Baum View Post
    I have a Jobeky kit. Ordered it a week before Xmas and got it around Valentines Day ( live in the U.S.). Very happy with it. They are really good about customizing your kit the way you want it.
    Hot spotting is a thing but for some reason is never a problem. Also went with the TD-25. I mostly judged the sounds from the the Drumtec videos of their custom expansion packs. I have it dialed into some really awesome kits, but as I plan on expanding my kit and eventually gigging out with it, will be getting the TD-50 upgrade pack.
    this is my first eKit and found the 25 a great introduction to how to dial in the sounds you are looking for. the 17 out of the box did not sound as good to me, but have seen some awesome kits people are making with imported samples, so hard to go wrong with either for a starter kit. Really like the 27 better than both of these though.
    Did you get the metallic cymbals too? I am curious about trying the two piece 14" metallic hi-hats...

Comment

no, i found a great deal on some used ATVs. and the rest are Roland. have heard good things though, except for the ride.

Comment

The future for triggering are sided triggers, no hotpost, Roland VAD is something for future flagship adjustment. Atv had this before. Drumtech one model have this sided trigger as well.
        Last edited by Chris K; 07-28-20, 08:45 PM.

Comment

This week I went to the drum tec shop again and tested the VAD506. I have to say I was not impressed. While it looks nicer than the TD-27KV, playing on it feels almost the same. The small toms feel basically like the PDX-100. However, I liked the floor tom. Due to its size, it has less rebound and feels like a real floor tom.
          Now the biggest downside for me was the kick drum: It feels like a KD-10 while being much louder. The drum tec real feel bass drum is way better.

The longer I played on the digital snare, the more I liked it. Same for the digital ride. In the end I went with a TD-27KV with drum tec Diabolo toms instead of the PDX-100 pads and a drum tec bass drum instead of the KD-10. Once it arrives I will give a short update.
          Last edited by bench; 08-01-20, 03:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bench View Post
            This week I went to the drum tec shop again and tested the VAD506. I have to say I was not impressed. While it looks nicer than the TD-27KV, playing on it feels almost the same. The small toms feel basically like the PDX-100. However, I liked the floor tom. Due to its size, it has less rebound and feels like a real floor tom.
            Now the biggest downside for me was the kick drum: It feels like a KD-10 while being much louder. The drum tec real feel bass drum is way better.

The longer I played on the digital snare, the more I liked it. Same for the digital ride. In the end I went with a TD-27KV with drum tec Diabolo toms instead of the PDX-100 pads and a drum tec bass drum instead of the KD-10. Once it arrives I will give a short update.
            Well, the Roland bass drum pretty much is a KD-10 in a big shell and yes it's loud as hell. I wouldn't say it has a bad feel when striking, but it's prohibitive for an apartment so I also went with the drum-tec one because it's silent as heck in comparison. How did you find the new Roland cymbals? Do they have a better feel, like do they have at least a slight "give" like bronze cymbals?

Comment

My Roland vad floor tom arrived today.....will compare it with vst to my Drum Tec pro floor tom....again much prefer drum tec bass drum....
              Desktop PC I5 Asus, Asus P8Z77, RME AIO, RME ADI2pro, RME Digiface USB, Mac Air 2014, Zoom Tac2r, Apollo Twin MKI Solo TD30, Vh13, Drum Tec pro pads, BFD3, Henry Hirsch, Peter Erskine, Evil Drums, Superior 3.0, Decades, Cubase 10, Reaper, Ludwig 67 Kit all sizes from 22, Ludwig Cob, 4*14, Slingerland 50s, Paiste Modern Ess, Zildjian Constantinople

Comment

Originally posted by Ribot View Post
                My Roland vad floor tom arrived today.....will compare it with vst to my Drum Tec pro floor tom....again much prefer drum tec bass drum....
                I didn't know they were already sold separately. Has there been an update for the TD-50 and other modules to add the preset for it? I imagine the multi-trigger wouldn't perform optimally without one. Very interested to know if there are hot-spots on the cones or cold-spot in the middle.

Comment

Sorry no clue, have to look into it, I have also not installed Lynx aes 16e, interesting.....
                  Desktop PC I5 Asus, Asus P8Z77, RME AIO, RME ADI2pro, RME Digiface USB, Mac Air 2014, Zoom Tac2r, Apollo Twin MKI Solo TD30, Vh13, Drum Tec pro pads, BFD3, Henry Hirsch, Peter Erskine, Evil Drums, Superior 3.0, Decades, Cubase 10, Reaper, Ludwig 67 Kit all sizes from 22, Ludwig Cob, 4*14, Slingerland 50s, Paiste Modern Ess, Zildjian Constantinople

Comment

Bench,

Bench wrote:
                    This week, I went to the Drum-tec shop again and tested the VAD506. I have to say I was not impressed. While it looks nicer than the TD-27KV, playing on it feels almost the same. The small toms feel basically like the PDX-100. However, I liked the floor tom; due to its size, it has less rebound and feels like a real floor tom. Now the biggest downside for me was the kick drum: it feels like a KD-10 while being much louder. The Drum-tec real feel bass drum is way better. The longer I played on the digital snare, the more I liked it. Same for the digital ride. In the end, I went with a TD-27KV with Drum-tec Diabolo toms instead of the PDX-100 pads and a Drum-tec bass drum instead of the KD-10. Once it arrives I will give a short update.
                    The digital snare eliminates hot spots on the snare drum. If there is an option to order Diabolo toms with side-mounted triggers instead of center-mounted, I recommend you consider this. My own experience is hot spots are a significant problem with center-mounted triggers. No matter what you do with trigger settings, logarithmic or exponential velocity curves, top value limits and sample selection limits, compression, head tension, etc., the hot spots never truly go away. Given the amount of money you are spending, I cannot recommend enough that you contact Drum-tec and ask about this. Unless Drum-tec offers a hybrid trigger option (i.e. center trigger augmented with multiple side triggers), I'd give up positional sensing in favor of side-mounted triggers, which will eliminate hot spots on your toms. The bass drum isn't a problem as you strike the drum in a consistent location with a pedal and the trigger is already offset.
                    Last edited by TangTheHump; 08-02-20, 11:01 PM.

Comment

I don't think that they offer the Diabolo series without center-mounted triggers. However, I did not notice any hot spot issues on the toms. Of course I only played for a relatively short time.

Are hot spots that much of an issue? It seems like some people don't have any trouble and love positional sensing while others have massive problems with hot spots.

My guess it that it depends on whether you play ghost notes or in general very soft on the toms? I feel like in most rock / metal songs you are hitting the toms relatively hard 99% of the time. Or am I completely wrong here?

Comment

I don't think that they offer the Diabolo series without center-mounted triggers. However, I did not notice any hot spot issues on the toms. Of course I only played for a relatively short time.

Are hot spots that much of an issue? It seems like some people don't have any trouble and love positional sensing while others have massive problems with hot spots.

My guess it that it depends on whether you play ghost notes or in general very soft on the toms? I feel like in most rock / metal songs you are hitting the toms relatively hard 99% of the time. Or am I completely wrong here?
                        Drum-Tec Jam offer 1 sided trigger to avoid hotspot https://www.drum-tec.com/pads/drum-tec-jam

or ATV 3 sided triggers.
                        Last edited by Chris K; 08-03-20, 06:38 AM.

Comment

But are hot spots really such a big issue on the toms?

Comment

But are hot spots really such a big issue on the toms?
                            More the snare in general, snare are different and played more often with roll and articulated hit, same as hihat.
                            Last edited by Chris K; 08-03-20, 06:53 AM.

Comment

Bench,

Hot spots are an issue for anyone who wants to develop their drumming technique. It's difficult to play double strokes or pretty much any rudimental figure when hot spots are present, because hot spots make notes of any volume uneven and jump out unexpectedly. This makes it difficult to train your hands on their own, to develop hand and foot coordination and dynamics, and to develop a full range of dynamics. Moreover, what you play on the pads is not what comes out, and that is frustrating and at times extremely unmusical.

When playing music with fewer dynamic variations, such as dance / backbeat oriented, I still find hot spots problematic; the music may require less dynamic changes, but consistency is critically important. Hot spots make it difficult to be consistent.

Are hot spots less significant and/or less prevalent on toms? I have experienced hot spots as much on toms as on snare drums.

How important is this to you? Only you can determine that. For myself, given my experiences with purely center-mounted triggers and their attendant hot spots, I would avoid buying e-drums of this type. I'm happy to see Roland acknowledging this problem and addressing it by replacing center-mounted triggers with hybrid systems or side-mounted triggers.
                              Last edited by TangTheHump; 08-03-20, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Thank you for the detailed explanation! Since I have already ordered the Diabolo pads with center-mounted triggers I will probably have to just try it out. I guess it's possible to change the trigger system to a side-mounted version on your own? (in case I experience hot spot issues)

Comment

Working...
                                X