Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

If you cannot post, please visit our Forum Talk forum for answers to more frequently asked questions.

Is your post missing? Please read forum descriptions & guidelines within before posting in the wrong forum.

See more
See less

Looking to upgrade from FD-8: Advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to upgrade from FD-8: Advice?

Hi guys and gals. I've searched and haven't found any specific answers to my question here. My apologies if this has already been asked before.

I have a frankensteined TD-9 kit (started with TD-11K that I bought new in 2012, added a 4th dual-trigger PD-8 tom pad, CY-13R, then TD-9 version 2 module, and then most recently an MDS-9 rack). My FD-8 after 8 years of reliable use has started to show its age (open-close techniques default stuck to open even with pedal all the way down, takes about 10-15 seconds for it to close again, works fine otherwise, but does need replaced).

Right now I think the VH-11 is financially out of my reach at the moment. The most affordable option being a FD-8 (FD-9 being $20 more). Though the VH-10 looks promising. I've played the VH-11 on my church's TD-25KV kit they use for Sunday mornings, and it's not all that bad from my experience.

At this time, I'm torn between the FD-9 and VH-10. Cheapest price I can get for an FD-9 (new via eBay) at the moment is $125.99. Cheapest VH-10 I found on eBay new is $289.00. I have a PDP 800 Series hi-hat stand already, so that's not an issue.

I've got two specific questions: Is the jump in price to the VH-10 from the FD-9's price point worth the extra $$? Would the VH-10 be a worthwhile upgrade from my current FD-8?

Thanks, any advice would be appreciated!

Edit: For reference, here's my current setup:

image_36041.jpg
    Last edited by International96; 06-29-20, 09:22 PM.
    Personal kit: Roland TD-9 Version 2 module with TD-11K pads (3 PD-8A toms with additional PD-8 tom pad, 2 CY-8 crash cymbals), CY-5/FD-8 hi-hat, 2 CY-8 crashes, CY-13R ride, MDS-9 rack. Running only stock sounds (No VST's). Roland CUBE CM-30 Monitor, and Roland RH-300V Headphones.

I was just reading about the experience so far with the TD27 and I suggest you take a look. Everyone seems to be complaining about the VH-10. I would wait and save up some more money then get a VH-11 or 13. You can repair the FD8 and continue using it until you have enough money for the upgrade. Good luck with your decision.
    Last edited by jimorlando; 06-29-20, 06:26 PM.
    Equipment: TD-30KV, DW9000 hardware, ROC-N-SOC Throne, Behringer ULTRATONE K3000FX Amp, JBL EON 615 Powered Speaker, Yamaha MG06X. 1965 Ludwig Super Classic. Black diamond pearl. Zildjian K Custom Dark cymbals, DW 7000 hardware, DW 9000 kick pedal.

Comment

FD-7 or FD-9

Drop in replacements for the buggy, design-flawed FD-8.
      Last edited by electrodrummer; 06-30-20, 03:27 AM.
      *** Never buy a module without MIDI IN ***
      Yamaha & Roland modules. DTX,TM-2, EC-10, EC10m, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPads. Octapad, SamplePad, Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Zoom ARQ. Synths. Ukes.

Comment

Long message here, just a forewarning.

Thanks guys for the replies thus far. Jim, that's a great plan, and one I'll follow now as well. Would the VH-11 be a better option over the FD-9 in terms of play-ability? (I know the feel would obviously be different between the two, as I learned and played on acoustics for quite awhile as well.)

Electrodrummer, I've heard the FD-7's are pretty reliable, but I guess I prefer the FD-8 and newer styling, if that makes sense. Hence why I only mentioned the FD-9. I have to agree that the FD-8 is a pain the butt, haha. But from 2012 up until now it hasn't given me too much of an issue, which has been nice. The more I learn about the pedal (mainly via the repair thread), I see why it's flawed.

My initial reason to go from the VH-11 to VH-10 was price and the weight of the pad. But I'll look into a VH-11 now instead of the 10.

Today I looked at the FD-8 repair thread, followed what others (including you, Jim) have done to theirs, and still no luck. The pedal chick sound is more audible but still spotty, and I'm only getting open hat sound at this point.

This is what I've done to my FD-8 thus far today: I used some extra foam weatherstripping from a new window A/C unit, cut a thin strip into a rectangle, compressed it, and taped it to the resistor. Also did the ziptie around the rubber finger, but its still not working. There's a slight coating of original grease on the top of the finger, and put what I could on the underside where it contacts the resistor, but I think I need to get some vaseline and dab some of that on it. The ziptie seemed to have brought the audio up for the pedal chick sound, but its spotty at best.

3:00pm update to what I just mentioned above: After numerous attempts to get it working like it used to by following the steps mentioned in the repair thread and trying different materials for the lower cushion on the resistor, I still cannot get it to function correctly. Even with the zip-tie the splash sound is still hit and miss. The pedal does close but only when done slowly. I think at this time I might just get an FD-9 pedal so I'd have something functional and save up eventually to a VH-11.
        Last edited by International96; 06-30-20, 04:48 PM.
        Personal kit: Roland TD-9 Version 2 module with TD-11K pads (3 PD-8A toms with additional PD-8 tom pad, 2 CY-8 crash cymbals), CY-5/FD-8 hi-hat, 2 CY-8 crashes, CY-13R ride, MDS-9 rack. Running only stock sounds (No VST's). Roland CUBE CM-30 Monitor, and Roland RH-300V Headphones.

Comment

Just a quick update to this thread. I just placed an order for a new FD-9 via eBay a few moments ago (the $125 one I mentioned in the original post, I bought the last one at that price, cheapest I've found that were brand new). I would have waited and saved up for the VH-11, but unfortunately, I just couldn't get the FD-8 to work like it should in the meantime. But the VH-11 is still on my list of upgrades that I'd like to do in the long-term (mesh heads and CY-12C cymbals are also on the list, most likely next when money provides).

Thanks jimorlando (Jim) and electrodrummer for your valuable input! I know this was a short period of time, but you both have definitely influenced my decision.
          Last edited by International96; 06-30-20, 06:28 PM.

Comment

What are the complaints about the VH-10? Love mine.

Also still love the FD-7 / CY-5 combo which is a nice upgrade, pedal-wise, from the FD-8.

Toontrack Superior Drummer 3.0 / Reaper 5+6
            DIY hybrid kit (Sonor kit / Roland / Yamaha, DDT MS-140c snare, etc)
            Roland TD-9 / eDRUMin
            youtube.com/chriscauldermusic

Comment

Originally posted by bcmusic View Post
              What are the complaints about the VH-10? Love mine.

Also still love the FD-7 / CY-5 combo which is a nice upgrade, pedal-wise, from the FD-8.
              I saw it in a thread here that was discussing TD-27 experience so far. Now I can’t find the thread. It would have been June 28 or 29.
              Equipment: TD-30KV, DW9000 hardware, ROC-N-SOC Throne, Behringer ULTRATONE K3000FX Amp, JBL EON 615 Powered Speaker, Yamaha MG06X. 1965 Ludwig Super Classic. Black diamond pearl. Zildjian K Custom Dark cymbals, DW 7000 hardware, DW 9000 kick pedal.

Comment

This is just my experience, but I find the VH10 controller slightly slow to react compared to the FD9. I like the realism of the moving hat but the FD9 just performs a touch better. I use the VH10 pad mounted on an xhat mount, which also gives me the ability to move it closer to my snare. Another benefit is you don't have to re-calibrate every time you muck around with the hi hat clutch.
                ATV aDrums, ATV aD5, eDRUMin, Presonus Quantum 2, SD3

Comment

Looking more closely at this thread, I'm thinking about actually tabling indefinitely my plans of getting a VH-11 or a 10 and stick with my CY-5, current FD-8 and soon-to-be-here FD-9 pedal.

I also looked for that TD-27 thread and noticed that it's gone. Interesting that it disappeared. At least I wasn't the only one that noticed its disappearance..

Update: I found the mystery TD-27 thread! Had to look back in my search history, and viola!

https://www.vdrums.com/forum/general...riences-so-far
                  Last edited by International96; Yesterday, 10:55 AM.

Comment

I had a FD-8, then went to the ATV setup and gave it up. I could not get it to play cleanly despite a good bit of help from the forum. I have a FD-9 now. It is sturdy, nice reaction weight, easy to dialing (on MP), and compact as you know.

Comment

Working...
                    X