Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Any reason to periodically replace mesh heads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any reason to periodically replace mesh heads?

It occurs to me I've never replaced any of my mesh heads on my roland pads for well over 15+ years. Only rarely do I even need to give em a slight crank. They work and feel fine but I'd say I'm just used to them too. They look fine.

But just wondering if there's any reason to replace them to get a better feel and rebound? Are there better heads than the stock ones?

I have a mix of PD100-PD125'sd.

I’m in pretty much the same position as you. I can’t see any reason to replace them. I do replace the piezo elements and foam cones in my snare pad every 3-4 years however.

Comment

Why replace the piezos and cones? What problem were they exhibiting?

Comment

i dont replace **** unless it gives issues....That old Roland gear can be run into the ground it seems.....Amazing how durable their stuff was......

Comment

Originally posted by wolfereeno2 View Post
          When cone start to wear, dynamic are reduced and hotspot peak is augmented by much see here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyLp3Da60uw

Comment

i'm more concerned with wear/damage to the bearing edges from the mesh heads than damage to the heads themselves
            Alesis STRIKE, PD-85 rack toms, PD-105BK floor tom, Mapex snare with ISM-6, PDP MX 22" kick with ISM, iron cobra 900 double pedal, hart e-cymbal2, CY-5 as splash, CY-8, CY-12R, L80 hi-hat with cheap-o trigger with goedrum hi hat controller. EZdrummer2+EZX/Addictive Drums 2 VSTs.

Comment

Really? Why bearing edge damage? I've never bothered to take the heads off but the drums are built like tanks and the heads aren't that tight.

Anyway, are any of the other companies selling heads they feel are an upgrade to the original roland heads?

Comment

In my case they seem to lose sensitivity. After replacement they just track better. I assume the foam wears or compresses over time

Comment

Really? Why bearing edge damage? I've never bothered to take the heads off but the drums are built like tanks and the heads aren't that tight.

Anyway, are any of the other companies selling heads they feel are an upgrade to the original roland heads?
                  I once realised that the caro mesh got "stamped" into the wooden bearing edge from a acoustic drum.
                  Former ddrum4 User, currently setting up new edrum Set with Millenium low-noise Cymbals with stealth conversion, Modules edrumin & drumit five, VST SD3

Comment

Working...
                  X