Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Should I upgrade from KD-10 to KD-120?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I upgrade from KD-10 to KD-120?

Can someone tell me please! should I upgrade from KD-10 to KD-120? My main reason I want to upgrade TO SOMETHING ELSE is I think KD-10 is limiting my double bass skills. 99.9% of the time I play at home on my e-kit. Mostly all I do is work on double bass speed. Recently I started using heel toe for that reason - it allowed me to reach faster speeds. My limit with KD-10 with single strokes seems to be around 180 bpm, and with double strokes - around 220bpm. A couple of days ago I had a chance to play on a real acoustic bass drum, and to my surprise I was able to play a 200bpm song (that I can only play with double strokes on KD-10) with single strokes! And I definitely could go faster, just didn't try. So I don't even want to play the KD-10 any more, i feel like it's a waste of time. I need to upgrade. Question is - to what? Diabolo 18x12? (Expensive). Or Kd-120? A lot of metal players seem to use it..

The ATV 10" or 13" Kick Pads work extremely well and are sturdy like a real bass drum. Maybe take 13" for Double Bass. LOTS cheaper than a KD120 or Diabolo.
    Audiofront eDrumIn. Triggering mainly SD3.

Yamaha Cymbals, drum-tec HiHat Ctl, DW PDP Drumset with Jobeky Triggers and drumtec Pro Snare. Zoom UAC-2 Interface.

Comment

Originally posted by holzi2000 View Post
      The ATV 10" or 13" Kick Pads work extremely well and are sturdy like a real bass drum. Maybe take 13" for Double Bass. LOTS cheaper than a KD120 or Diabolo.
      Thanks! I did consider them, but people at drum-tec told me they are pretty loud... Are you actually using one of those?
      Last edited by AntonDubkov; 06-18-20, 03:59 AM.

Comment

I had one, had the KD10, ATV 10" and my 20" Kick at the same time.

Honestly did not compare the noise levels. but probably a little louder than the KD10.

Yamaha Cymbals, drum-tec HiHat Ctl, DW PDP Drumset with Jobeky Triggers and drumtec Pro Snare. Zoom UAC-2 Interface.

Comment

I had one, had the KD10, ATV 10" and my 20" Kick at the same time.

Honestly did not compare the noise levels. but probably a little louder than the KD10.
          cool! so would you say you do recommend it (the 13"), as in, it's definitely better than the KD10 for this kind of application? (again, I really appreciate your insight!)
          Last edited by AntonDubkov; 06-18-20, 05:34 AM.

Comment

imo, there's a reason a lot are using a KD-120 with fast double strokes (even with a single pedal..)
            but ATV 13" could be the same type of pad .. that i don't know .. it looks very similar..
            if you want to do doubles on an 18" or 20" mesh kick .. that would take a little more effort ..
            but the feel of a bigger mesh kick is 'better' to me (taste) it has a bit more 'give'
            a bigger mesh kick filled with noise absorbing foam, is pretty 'silent'
            Last edited by Ericdrumz; 06-18-20, 07:30 AM.
            Audio | Video | Roland/Yamaha e-kit | Sonor/Gretsch a-kit | Zildjian/Sabian/Ufip cymbals

Comment

Originally posted by AntonDubkov View Post

cool! so would you say you do recommend it (the 13"), as in, it's definitely better than the KD10 for this kind of application? (again, I really appreciate your insight!)
              I only play single pedal. Is it possible for you to try, and send it back if it is not to your liking?

Comment

I only play single pedal. Is it possible for you to try, and send it back if it is not to your liking?
                Unfortunately not...

Comment

Originally posted by Ericdrumz View Post
                  imo, there's a reason a lot are using a KD-120 with fast double strokes (even with a single pedal..)
                  but ATV 13" could be the same type of pad .. that i don't know .. it looks very similar..
                  if you want to do doubles on an 18" or 20" mesh kick .. that would take a little more effort ..
                  but the feel of a bigger mesh kick is 'better' to me (taste) it has a bit more 'give'
                  a bigger mesh kick filled with noise absorbing foam, is pretty 'silent'
                  thanks! I forgot there is also the ATV artist kick.. which is a bit cheaper than Diabolo.. so maybe something to consider as well

Comment

drum-tec kick drums vs roland kick pads comparison https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQcpY2VAuro

i'll be the lone vote "against" the KD-120 i guess. it may not be exactly the same, but i had the mesh KD-85 which is like a smaller KD-120 and hated it. the KD-10 certainly isn't perfect but if i was ever going to have to use a roland kick pad again it would be the KD-10 (or the KD-a22, same pad but i prefer the look of the full size kick)
                    Alesis STRIKE, PD-85 rack toms, PD-105BK floor tom, Mapex snare with ISM-6, PDP MX 22" kick with ISM, iron cobra 900 double pedal, hart e-cymbal2, CY-5 as splash, CY-8, CY-12R, L80 hi-hat with cheap-o trigger with goedrum hi hat controller. EZdrummer2+EZX/Addictive Drums 2 VSTs.

Comment

Originally posted by winterson View Post
                      drum-tec kick drums vs roland kick pads comparison https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQcpY2VAuro

i'll be the lone vote "against" the KD-120 i guess. it may not be exactly the same, but i had the mesh KD-85 which is like a smaller KD-120 and hated it. the KD-10 certainly isn't perfect but if i was ever going to have to use a roland kick pad again it would be the KD-10 (or the KD-a22, same pad but i prefer the look of the full size kick)
                      I'm actually starting to think I should go DIY. Seems rather straighforward (why didn't I think of it before). Get a cheap shell, layer it with acoustic foam inside, stuff with pillows, get a mesh head and a trigger (even a footblaster trigger that attaches to pedals, or a basic RT-30K) - seems too easy?

Comment

I'm actually starting to think I should go DIY. Seems rather straighforward (why didn't I think of it before). Get a cheap shell, layer it with acoustic foam inside, stuff with pillows, get a mesh head and a trigger (even a footblaster trigger that attaches to pedals, or a basic RT-30K) - seems too easy?
                        Yes. Did just that. I used a Jobeky Side Mounted Trigger, which works fine and makes a cleaner look than an external Trigger.
                        The RT30K I used before worked just fine.

Beware: I play single Kick, and slower than you.

Comment

Cool, so I got 2 reasonable options now. I spoke with an owner of ATV 13" on youtube, and he said he can actually play double bass faster on it, compared to an acoustic bass drum, so that's inspiring. And of course the DIY option -- looks like Footblaster is the way to go as far as the trigger. As far as the mesh head goes -- do I need an expensive Roland PowerPly, or something like a Remo Silent Stroke will work just fine?

Comment

Cool, so I got 2 reasonable options now. I spoke with an owner of ATV 13" on youtube, and he said he can actually play double bass faster on it, compared to an acoustic bass drum, so that's inspiring. And of course the DIY option -- looks like Footblaster is the way to go as far as the trigger. As far as the mesh head goes -- do I need an expensive Roland PowerPly, or something like a Remo Silent Stroke will work just fine?
                            a single ply mesh head like a silent stroke will likely be too bouncy. rolands are expensive. options like billy blast and 682 drums may be more middle of the road pricing and better feel. i have a 22" from 682 drums and like it, though i still deadened it further by putting foam inside the drum.

alternative to footblaster there is also ontrigger and the axis ones. or you could try making your own since it's really just a piezo floating below your bass pedal.
                            Alesis STRIKE, PD-85 rack toms, PD-105BK floor tom, Mapex snare with ISM-6, PDP MX 22" kick with ISM, iron cobra 900 double pedal, hart e-cymbal2, CY-5 as splash, CY-8, CY-12R, L80 hi-hat with cheap-o trigger with goedrum hi hat controller. EZdrummer2+EZX/Addictive Drums 2 VSTs.

Comment

Originally posted by winterson View Post

a single ply mesh head like a silent stroke will likely be too bouncy. rolands are expensive. options like billy blast and 682 drums may be more middle of the road pricing and better feel. i have a 22" from 682 drums and like it, though i still deadened it further by putting foam inside the drum.

alternative to footblaster there is also ontrigger and the axis ones. or you could try making your own since it's really just a piezo floating below your bass pedal.
                              do you think it is ok to just put pillows inside (as opposed to foam) to dampen the mesh / make rebound realistic? I'm just not sure I can find the right kind of foam or properly mount it inside the shell..

Comment

Working...
                              X