Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

after 2 box drummit 5 what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• after 2 box drummit 5 what?

hi there. since 2011 i have a 2box drummit 5 mk2 which i love really. it gets the job done. i added another 2box cymbal, 2 cy-5 cymbals and 2 cy-8 so that the edrums setup is like the set up i use in a live situation with acoustic drums. i remember it cost a bit less than 2500 euros in 2011. I am not a guy that searches for optimal settings and changes things every other day. i have made a custom kit i have been using for the last 6 years or more. it sounds great, i never change it. (i say that to show i am not up for big changes, if it works i keep).

Without having real issues with the kit, after 9+ years, i started wondering if there is a drumkit for me out there. that would serve me better. Yes, 2box still sounds nice. Small issues like , some toms have started to rattle (probably some tom mounts need changing?) and my thinking of getting a low noise ride and hihat, got me thinking.

I havent been following the new really close. So i came here to ask. Is there a vfm kit like 2box was in 2011, that could do the job done without breaking the bank?

To elaborate more, id like to ask how much the 2box drummit 5 could be sold. apart from issue like the tom rattling a bit, it is working like day one. i still keep recording from its brain, all is top. could it be sold for 1500? or is it more likely to be sold around 1000?

If it can be sold for 1500 i might go for an up to 3000 euros drumkit. But is there something that would fit my bill?
    When strike pro came out, it seemed like a bargain. many cymbals toms etc, looked like a pro kit etc. But i have read nothing bad bad things for it.
    A new strike kit came out. is it sturdier? better? could it be a 2 box replacer?

My priorities are:
    sounds, sounds sounds. if it doesnt sound good, i wont get it. i have no will to connect it to a laptop and trigger vsts. great sounds with many layers etc (like 2box) should be inside the brain of the kit.
    many pieces. 3 toms,snare, hh ride and 3 cymbals, is what i need. strike fit this bill from what i know. (dunno if sounds are good enough though)
    Big sizes. at least as big as 2box sizes. anything less than a 12 inch snare is a no go. i hate these little roland toms for instance

I immediately forget and loath kits like rolands that cost too much money. cant afford. and never liked roland sounds.
    Mimic pro is amazing but out of my league for just a brain.

any other alternatives? i have been seeing this goe-drums kit that seems to have many toms cymbals etc, in some setups it also has low volume cymbals which is amazing. but it is a kit i havent seen advertised in european or us sites. mainly in chinese sites and obviously this is a no go.
    Am i missing something? are there not any other competitors that offer nice kits? with nice modules etc? with great sounds?
    from the research i did i think i may be forced to stay with 2box for another decade. i will do that no problem, but really would like to read your opinions. i may be missing something. thank you
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    proud owner of 2box drumit5 mk2
    www.emag.digitaldrummermag.com/
    best e-drum magazine in the whole universe

i see you changed the heads.. that should be an improvement (better feel, less bounce) than 'standard' 2box
    it's not going to be easy to 'beat' the flexibility of 2box .. with the right samples, it can sound pretty good..
    there are very good sounding samples, and less sounding samples.. but i guess you already downloaded
    all module contents (from source) and sifted through all those (free) samples..
    Audio | Video | Roland/Yamaha e-kit | Sonor/Gretsch a-kit | Zildjian/Sabian/Ufip cymbals

Comment

Originally posted by Ericdrumz View Post
      i see you changed the heads.. that should be an improvement (better feel, less bounce) than 'standard' 2box
      it's not going to be easy to 'beat' the flexibility of 2box .. with the right samples, it can sound pretty good..
      there are very good sounding samples, and less sounding samples.. but i guess you already downloaded
      all module contents (from source) and sifted through all those (free) samples..
      thank you. when i got it, i messed around with anything that could make it better. so i got the 628 heads (actually i loved them so much that i got 2 pairs of sets, stupid move as there are even better choices right now, but anyway), i did the sd card expansion trick, i replaced hi hat with a cy-5. it is a really nice kit.
      so far the only thing that could make me change it, was the strike pro special edition kit. nice sizes, looks great, good enough cymbals toms etc. But, because previous version was not sturdy with many problems etc (from the little that i read), i dont know if it is a good choice. Plus i dont know if the sounds are as good as 2box. because if not enough layers etc and the sounds seem combressed, machine gunning occurs etc, i am ok with 2box for another decade....

if there is no other contender i could start thinking for other changes. i have to look into the mk2 module of 2box. if it offers many more things perhaps i sell my old module to get the new one. and perhaps i could replace the ride and hi hat with low volume ones. but this means i have to do some diy which i am not good at. unless there is some ready solution that i dont know of, and it of nice value for money.

i know, i know, i cant decide which path to take. perhaps with all your suggestions guys, will put me in an nice direction on what i should do. cheers to all

Comment

You won't find better than your setup right now, unless you either spend big bucks, or go down the DIY road, with its great rewards but also great headaches along the way.

You say you don't want to spend a fortune, and DIY is not your forte.
        Seems obvious to me.

Fix the tom that is rattling, and if you really want some change to stimulate your playing a bit, look for a new sound kit for the module. Plenty of ideas either here or at the 2Box forums. You could even try to come up with a new VST based kit with all the new expansions Toontrack came up with in the last few years.

That will keep you busy and refresh your playing.

Good luck!
        DTX700, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH
        Kit Pix http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=613

My new venture, HiEnd Speakers. : voglosounds.com

Comment

Originally posted by perceval View Post
          You won't find better than your setup right now, unless you either spend big bucks, or go down the DIY road, with its great rewards but also great headaches along the way.

Seems obvious to me.

Fix the tom that is rattling, and if you really want some change to stimulate your playing a bit, look for a new sound kit for the module. Plenty of ideas either here or at the 2Box forums. You could even try to come up with a new VST based kit with all the new expansions Toontrack came up with in the last few years.

Good luck!
          Agreed 100%.

Just wanted to add: your drumset is really cool, and I respect your approach (1 really good kit).

If you NEED to change something: listen to the ATV ad5 Module. if you like the sounds, you could sell you 2box module and get that, maybe add the 13" ATV Snare Pad. 1100 combined, minus what you get for your module.
          Audiofront eDrumIn. Triggering mainly SD3.

Yamaha Cymbals, drum-tec HiHat Ctl, DW PDP Drumset with Jobeky Triggers and drumtec Pro Snare. Zoom UAC-2 Interface.

Comment

Seems obvious to me.

Good luck!

Originally posted by holzi2000 View Post

Agreed 100%.

Just wanted to add: your drumset is really cool, and I respect your approach (1 really good kit).

If you NEED to change something: listen to the ATV ad5 Module. if you like the sounds, you could sell you 2box module and get that, maybe add the 13" ATV Snare Pad. 1100 combined, minus what you get for your module.
            thank you guys. you saved me tons of time of puzzling if i need an upgrade or not.
            i wont go for another module. module is great for me. i have made a kit i really like, and perhaps i will make some sounds to create another cool one. and that is that.
            i could replace a broken rim i have (have managed to mount it really well though), and will replace the clamp that rattles (if it is the clamp, will have to investigate thoroughly just to be sure)..

since you helped me decide not to replace the kit, i will start looking for these sort of upgrades (if they are worth it).
            first i could sell the module and get the mk2 one. from what i read they are not that far apart, since i also have the kit that makes you use a roland cy-5 as hi hat. but more roland support inside the module, wouldnt be a bad thing.
            second would be to get a new hi hat and ride. i would like to get low volume cymbals. in high pms, feeling like a real hi hat and ride, helps. i was thinking to get some jobeky, but i read some really bad things about customer aftersales etc, so i will stir clear of them.
            so i am thinking of getting ready made trigger kits (3 zone for both of them). or get the whole cymbals ready if there is another option that jobeky. if there is some idea, please do say it.
            (would need to be a european store, cause of the customs).
            this thread has turned into something else perhaps i should stop posting here and ask in another thread though. or go to the 2box forum (but it seems down)
            thank you all guys

Comment

I also would love a set of LV cymbals for ride and HH... but... so many people have triggering issues.
              I fell in love with having 3 zones on my HH, which I would have now to give up if I went with LV.

But I would love the feel of metal under my sticks... so, I also am at a dilemma.

One thing that wouldn't break the bank, and allow you to experiment would be an eDRUMin device.
              It has 4 inputs, plus a pedal input. It has USB and MIDI, so it could be used with your 2Box module as a helper.
              It recognizes almost all the pads and cymbals out there.

It would allow you to find out if you would like to have positional sensing on your snare (you would need a pad with a center piezo).
              It could allow you to get 3 zones on you HH, edge, bow, bell.
              And the tweaking of velocities to adjust to one's playing is second to none.

And here is fine. But feel free to ask around, like at the 2Box forum

Comment

One thing that wouldn't break the bank, and allow you to experiment would be an eDRUMin device.
                It has 4 inputs, plus a pedal input. It has USB and MIDI, so it could be used with your 2Box module as a helper.

That would be my Number One choice.

It is for VSTs only, which he excluded in the Original Post.

Yamaha Cymbals, drum-tec HiHat Ctl, DW PDP Drumset with Jobeky Triggers and drumtec Pro Snare. Zoom UAC-2 Interface.

Comment

Originally posted by holzi2000 View Post
                  That would be my Number One choice.

It is for VSTs only, which he excluded in the Original Post.
                  Not for VST only, since his module has MIDI in.

So, it can trigger the sounds in his module

Comment

I also would love a set of LV cymbals for ride and HH... but... so many people have triggering issues.
                    I fell in love with having 3 zones on my HH, which I would have now to give up if I went with LV.

But I would love the feel of metal under my sticks... so, I also am at a dilemma.

It recognizes almost all the pads and cymbals out there.

It would allow you to find out if you would like to have positional sensing on your snare (you would need a pad with a center piezo).
                    It could allow you to get 3 zones on you HH, edge, bow, bell.
                    And the tweaking of velocities to adjust to one's playing is second to none.

And here is fine. But feel free to ask around, like at the 2Box forum
                    i will look into the edrumin thank you.
                    i would like to ask why you mean people have triggering issues. i dont think for example people complaining about stealth triggers (rip jman, what a legend).
                    why would you lose 3 zones in the hihat? you mean i wont be able to have bow edge and good close? that is stupid, if i cant have that, it is a no go. but i think it can be achieved.
                    while searching i stumpbled across geardrum triggers. they guy running it, is in italy, so it they seem to be decent, it may be a viable option.
                    still i will need to check for reviews.
                    right now i am puzzled about what you mentioned about triggering issues and less zones than i need.
                    thank you

Comment

3 zones on HH, ride and cymbals are Edge, Bow and Bell.
                      I was not talking about HH opened or closed.
                      On LV cymbals, you only get 2 zones... Edge and Bow, you will not have Bell.

Don't take my word for it, but since the LV cymbals are metal and free to resonate, the triggering is harder to achieve because of that. I read that at some point, but forgot where... sorry.

Comment

Not for VST only, since his module has MIDI in.

So, it can trigger the sounds in his module
                        It works for Yamaha. I am not sure that works for 2Box. Anyway, wouldn`t you have 8-9ms Latency on one drum (edrumin), 4 ms on another (direct)? That could be an issue.

Comment

You have to tell me where you read that the eDRUMin has 8-9ms of latency so I can set that straight!
                          As long as you don't go wild with the settings, adding a crazy amount of hold time, the eDRUMin can be faster than a Roland module.

And no, latencies between modules do not add up. The electrical current signals between the modules are very fast, what takes longer is the sound generating, which is done by one module alone.

Comment

You have to tell me where you read that the eDRUMin has 8-9ms of latency so I can set that straight!
                            As long as you don't go wild with the settings, adding a crazy amount of hold time, the eDRUMin can be faster than a Roland module.

And no, latencies between modules do not add up. The electrical current signals between the modules are very fast, what takes longer is the sound generating, which is done by one module alone.
                            did not mean the edrumin itself has 8 ms..
                            The edrumin has under 3ms + Scan Time. So it probably can go as low as 5ms. That`s consistent with Robs statements and my measurements.
                            And the 2box Module will not generate Sound from the Midi Input in Zero Time (as you said, after the 5ms there comes the sound creation). So maybe it`s no 8-9ms, but you surely can`t get it below 7 ms.

I don`t know how 2box does is with 4,6ms (which is something I read on 2 sites), which is remarkable with that size of samples they support (where a Snare Drum can easily use more Storage than a whole Kit on an ATV xd3).

Comment

3 zones on HH, ride and cymbals are Edge, Bow and Bell.
                              I was not talking about HH opened or closed.
                              On LV cymbals, you only get 2 zones... Edge and Bow, you will not have Bell.

Don't take my word for it, but since the LV cymbals are metal and free to resonate, the triggering is harder to achieve because of that. I read that at some point, but forgot where... sorry.
                              On the hi hat i wouldnt need bell. bow edge are fine, alongside hihat closing. on the ride, not having bell is deal breaker obviously. but if you check this video, there are 3 zones in the ride. what do you think about the sounds of it?
                              i am intrigged
                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbrPjZ9f79Y

Comment

Working...
                              X