Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

How do you use your sample pad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you use your sample pad?

I have a SPD-SX and get the impression I am really under utilizing this thing. I mainly got it to add 2 extra trigger pads, a BT-1 for cow bell and a small PD-85 as a side percussion pad. Outside of the factory sounds and occasional fun with the dubstep loops, I haven't really dug into all that it can do with samples and loops, etc.

I'm just curious how others are using sample pads?

At this point, I'm mostly using mine as MIDI controllers to trigger hardware synths. In the past, I've used them to store dialogue clips and loops, to trigger electric / processed drum sounds, or as a mini-kit for rehearsals (only possible on some -- the SPD-SX can't do this, but the Octapad, Strike Multipad, and DTX Multi12 can)
    https://www.instagram.com/bpaluzzi/

ad5 // SPD-SX // DTXMulti12 // drumbrute // DFAM

Comment

Originally posted by bpaluzzi View Post
      At this point, I'm mostly using mine as MIDI controllers to trigger hardware synths. In the past, I've used them to store dialogue clips and loops, to trigger electric / processed drum sounds, or as a mini-kit for rehearsals (only possible on some -- the SPD-SX can't do this, but the Octapad, Strike Multipad, and DTX Multi12 can)
      Yeah, unfortunately I realized that it doesn't support a HH trigger after I got it. It would be cool to attach a HH and kick pad to it and have a mini-kit. I saw that you can use it to MIDI control Ableton Live, which would be pretty cool too.

Comment

Originally posted by vChip View Post

I saw that you can use it to MIDI control Ableton Live, which would be pretty cool too.
        Yup, you can set it up to control soft synths like Ableton the same way as hardware synths -- just pick your note + MIDI channel per pad. This is another area where the DTXMulti12 has an advantage though, as it allows up to 4 notes per pad, so you can play chords as well as single-note lines.

Comment

I'm using my spdsx heavily for percussion loops, one shot percussion samples, various fx sounds and as a standalone kit. HH controller would be great, but that function can be emulated by assigning open and closed hh sounds to two pads respectively and linking them to mute each other.
          •A kits: Mapex Saturn ltd. Mapex Meridian, Ludwig and Pearl snares, Paiste, Anatolian, DW5002TW•
          •SPD-SX, Roland RT triggers•
          •Ship kits: TD-12KV, TD-30K, TD-50K•

Comment

Originally posted by MilosDrummer View Post
            ... HH controller would be great, but that function can be emulated by assigning open and closed hh sounds to two pads respectively and linking them to mute each other.

Very true and a good idea to be able to get by if needed.

Percussion loops would be pretty cool... I think the answer here is I'm being very lazy about digging into this device and thought i would have an "Ah ha" moment by asking what others do with it. It seems like an overwhelming effort to get loops, FX and samples imported and assigned, but the truth is it's probably pretty simple once you go thru it a few times. I just need to stop being lazy about it.

It sometimes seems like there are so many devices, configurations, settings to tweak and fool with and it all takes away from what i love the most, which is drumming. Don't get me wrong, I love all the tech, but sometimes i think of a simpler time when i just went and sat at my kit and got lost in hours of drumming... but I digress.

Comment

I'm using my SPD-SX to trigger/play short loops consisting of bass-, horns, strings-, and (special effects) sounds . With the short loops I create my own version of well known songs, like thriller, beat-it, 1999, pick up the peaces etc.etc. very much fun to do.
              I make my sounds and loops using audacity.

Comment

I use 2 of them live. One is my drum kit with a KD-120 kick trigger. Top row is Crash, China, Ride, Middle row is Tom 1, Tom 2, Open Hat, Bottom Row is Snare, Closed Hat, Tom 3. It's a pretty nice little compact setup, having the snare on the far left and the option of open and closed hat allows me to not cross my hands when playing. Second SPD-SX has all my percussion sounds and backing tracks. It's nice that the whole setup takes up less room than my guitar player's setup! Plus it tears down in less than 15 minutes!

Kick uses sub out Left, and the rest of the kit uses main out Left, I send a headphone out to my own mixer where I can EQ. Second pad uses tracks that have click on the Left and samples on the RIght, so the main Right output goes to the PA, the headphone out goes to my mixer allowing me to hear both click and samples, panning left and right allows to adjust the click volume if need be. All goes main out of my board to a QSC K12.2, and aux out to my buttkicker amp .

Having the QSC right behind me and a buttkicker concert under the chair, I do NOT miss playing on acoustic drums!

Cheers!
                Steve

108882971_922540734892092_7885436010545645596_n.jpg
                Last edited by stevelerro; 07-29-20, 12:00 AM.

Comment

When I had mine spd-s- spd-sx, only used mostly live for sample and backtrack with acoustic drum, sometime at home when no edrum available.
                  Last edited by Chris K; 07-28-20, 04:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stevelerro View Post
                    I use 2 of them live. One is my drum kit with a KD-120 kick trigger. Top row is Crash, China, Ride, Middle row is Tom 1, Tom 2, Open Hat, Bottom Row is Snare, Closed Hat, Tom 3. It's a pretty nice little compact setup, having the snare on the far left and the option of open and closed hat allows me to not cross my hands when playing. Second SPD-SX has all my percussion sounds and backing tracks. It's nice that the whole setup takes up less room than my guitar player's setup! Plus it tears down in less than 15 minutes!

Kick uses sub out Left, and the rest of the kit uses main out Left, I send a headphone out to my own mixer where I can EQ. Second pad uses tracks that have click on the Left and samples on the RIght, so the main Right output goes to the PA, the headphone out goes to my mixer allowing me to hear both click and samples, panning left and right allows to adjust the click volume if need be. All goes main out of my board to a QSC K12.2, and aux out to my buttkicker amp .

Having the QSC right behind me and a buttkicker concert under the chair, I do NOT miss playing on acoustic drums!

Cheers!
                    Steve

do you have any acoustic kits for spd-sx to share for portable drumkit use? thanks.

Comment

A little breakdown of a current project I'm working on with my DTX Multi 12:
                      https://www.instagram.com/p/CDZwMxnDCo3/

Comment

Working...
                      X