Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

If you cannot post, please visit our Forum Talk forum for answers to more frequently asked questions.

Is your post missing? Please read forum descriptions & guidelines within before posting in the wrong forum.

See more
See less

Vh13 on the way from Japan. Ad14 vs VH13 showdown imminent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vh13 on the way from Japan. Ad14 vs VH13 showdown imminent

So, I need to decide for myself which hat is the best of the ehats. I'm really happy with the ad14 and they're nearly perfect. I've been watching videos, reading threads and spending time dialing them in. I even have the plastic Pearl base on the way. My only gripe with them, is that when I open them from a foot chick, the edge sound is sometimes triggered. Playing with the clutch, adjust settings and adjusting technique, help but I want everyhing to feel as natural as possible. I realize it could be my stand, which is a new pdp concept, 2 legged stand. Its more wobbly than I would like, for sure. Not sure if I'll keep both after the a/b but I wont have to worry about wondering whether or not I got the right gear after my comparison concludes. Any predictions?

Originally posted by jkuhl View Post
    So, I need to decide for myself which hat is the best of the ehats. I'm really happy with the ad14 and they're nearly perfect. I've been watching videos, reading threads and spending time dialing them in. I even have the plastic Pearl base on the way. My only gripe with them, is that when I open them from a foot chick, the edge sound is sometimes triggered. Playing with the clutch, adjust settings and adjusting technique, help but I want everyhing to feel as natural as possible. I realize it could be my stand, which is a new pdp concept, 2 legged stand. Its more wobbly than I would like, for sure. Not sure if I'll keep both after the a/b but I wont have to worry about wondering whether or not I got the right gear after my comparison concludes. Any predictions?
    What module are you using?

I have only played the VH11 and haven't tested anything else electronic hihat wise.

My guess is the VH13 will be a bit better. The reason is it has a membrane switch (I think it's a membrane switch) on the bottom cymbal. This tells the module if it's physically closed or not. I don't think the ad14 has that sensor. It takes some guesswork out of the triggering.

Comment

Hi!

I own a bunch of hi-hats (FD-8/CY-5, VH-11, VH-12, VH-13, 2box 14, Yamaha RHH-135 and a ATV aD-H14) but the one I am always returning to is VH-11!

It has the best for my purposes and modules ... and have the best feeling in my opinion - to the best value .

All the hi-hats with over and under pads generates both a clopping sound and even a clopping feeling. :-) but this a very much a user perception...(I might be too old...:-)

My 2 cents...:-)

Best regards

Anders / www.zourman.com
      Pearl CrystalBeat and Sonor Safari, Roland CY-14/13R/15R/12CR,RT-10/30,BT-1,VH-11/12/13 & KD-10,Dingbat,Triggera D14,D11, ATV AD-h14, 120MHz MegaDRUM with PS board, 2box 3,5,5MKII, dd4SE, Yamaha DTX502, Addictive Drums 2.1.8. All ADpaks, Microsoft Surface PRO, Macbook, Pearl Throne Thumper, Zourman HH & Ride Conv Kit www.zourman.com

Comment

I use vh11 here, no clunky sound, no oversized thickness, fast response.

Comment

Originally posted by angr77 View Post
          Hi!

I own a bunch of hi-hats (FD-8/CY-5, VH-11, VH-12, VH-13, 2box 14, Yamaha RHH-135 and a ATV aD-H14) but the one I am always returning to is VH-11!

It has the best for my purposes and modules ... and have the best feeling in my opinion - to the best value .

All the hi-hats with over and under pads generates both a clopping sound and even a clopping feeling. :-) but this a very much a user perception...(I might be too old...:-)

My 2 cents...:-)

Best regards

Anders / www.zourman.com
          So is it just because of the noise?

I've read elsewhere on the forum that the VH13 is the best on the planet.

I would say that a single hihat is an advantage triggering wise, the only thing is if you really want a lower cymbal for the feel but I don't frankly see the benefit because a rubber cymbal is very far off feel wise anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris K View Post
            I use vh11 here, no clunky sound, no oversized thickness, fast response.
            Same here across many modules I've owned - TD50, TD20X, Mimic Pro, etc. At one point I owned an ATV aD-14 hi-hat (top and bottom pieces) and ditched the bottom plastic cymbal and used it VH-11-style but I still preferred the actual VH-11 in the end.
            Live Rig: Mimic Pro | KD-140 | PD-125X pads | Roland cym | MDS-9V rack | Turbosound iQ12
            Studio Rig: Mimic Pro or SD 3.0 | Pearl ePro DIY full kit | ATV + Yamaha cym | VH-11 | MDS-20 rack | ATH-M40x phones

Comment

Interesting. The clomping doesn't bother me and I'm coming from stealth hats before this, so the bottom cymbal factor isn't a problem. I feel like I need to audition the vh11 now too. I'm not beholden to any specific brand or notion for that matter and just want the best play experience possible. By the way, I'm running a mimic pro, ad5 and also plan on triggering sd3 with the ad5 standalone via usb.

Comment

everybody knows the clomping fix by now right ? 4 pieces of thin 2mm foam on 3,6,9,12 o clock on the bottom cym,
                with double sided tape.. you've got to try that .. the clopping sound was 'messing with my head' while playing .. (well imo)

Comment

Thanks Ericdrumz I had bookmarked another post about that fix but this reminded me to get some foam etc.
                  My Diamond Electronic Drums Kit | ATV cymbals | Gibraltar HW | 4x eDRUMin | RME HDSPe RayDAT | Superior Drummer 3 + Hansa | Reaper x64 DAW

Comment

Looking forward to hearing the results. I’ve been playing the VH 13s for a few years now. No real complaints. I’m very satisfied. But I wonder how it stacks up against the optical sensor of the ad14. My gut tells me optical should be better. Like how computer mice evolved from track balls to optical sensors.

Eventually I think all hi hats will be optical, but for now we’re looking at the first pass at a new technology vs the reliability and quality that Roland is known for.

Pearl Mimic Pro, A2E Tama Superstar, Jobeky side triggers on the snare and 8” Tom, Jobeky AI triggers on the rest, VH-13 Hi-Hat, ATV 18” Ride, 2x Roland CY-14C Crashes, Roland CY-13R/C Splash, Roland CY-15R China, 2x Roland BT-1 for Side Stick and Cowbell, Sony MDR-7506

Comment

Originally posted by ach987 View Post
                      Looking forward to hearing the results. I’ve been playing the VH 13s for a few years now. No real complaints. I’m very satisfied. But I wonder how it stacks up against the optical sensor of the ad14. My gut tells me optical should be better. Like how computer mice evolved from track balls to optical sensors.

Eventually I think all hi hats will be optical, but for now we’re looking at the first pass at a new technology vs the reliability and quality that Roland is known for.
                      I just got done playing the ad14 through the mimic and I'm really starting to believe any poor triggering is a result of the hihat stand more than anything. Theres a little too much play when you release your foot (heel down) and the top hat actually opens. A tighter more responsive stand would cure this I believe. Technique can fix it immediately but I don't want to change my technique hahaha. Replacing the bottom felt with the stiff pearl base, could theoretically help too. The downward travel would be inhibited by the less flexible hard plastic, vs the soft felt. More than anything though, I'm just delighted at how stellar the mimic and this combo is. I know I'm late to the party with the mimic but wow, killer machine.

Comment

Enjoy the new cymbals. Sounds like you can’t go wrong either way.

meanwhile Justin from 65 drums just posted a great video on his favorite cymbals....No surprise the vh13 and ad14 are his top 2 Hi hat choices.

check it out. I like that he broke it down by cymbal type...rides, hats, crashes, splashes, and other.

https://youtu.be/Wx4P5GqQQu8
                        Pearl Mimic Pro, A2E Tama Superstar, Jobeky side triggers on the snare and 8” Tom, Jobeky AI triggers on the rest, VH-13 Hi-Hat, ATV 18” Ride, 2x Roland CY-14C Crashes, Roland CY-13R/C Splash, Roland CY-15R China, 2x Roland BT-1 for Side Stick and Cowbell, Sony MDR-7506

Comment

Originally posted by ach987 View Post
                          Enjoy the new cymbals. Sounds like you can’t go wrong either way.

meanwhile Justin from 65 drums just posted a great video on his favorite cymbals....No surprise the vh13 and ad14 are his top 2 Hi hat choices.

check it out. I like that he broke it down by cymbal type...rides, hats, crashes, splashes, and other.

https://youtu.be/Wx4P5GqQQu8
                          Thanks for the link!!

So the hats just arrived from Japan. Not as quickly as the Drumtec shipping but still pretty fast and ZERO duty. Also, the price, including shipping to the US,
                          was about 300 bucks less than the norm here in the states. Review and comparison coming later.

Comment

Yeah I always see Roland cymbals listed on eBay dirt cheap compared to US prices but coming from Japan. Was never sure if they were legit. Crazy prices.

Comment

Originally posted by ericf4 View Post
                              Yeah I always see Roland cymbals listed on eBay dirt cheap compared to US prices but coming from Japan. Was never sure if they were legit. Crazy prices.
                              I haven't set them up yet but they look 100000% legit. So that begs the question, why so much more expensive here at home?

Comment

Working...
                              X