Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

If you cannot post, please visit our Forum Talk forum for answers to more frequently asked questions.

Is your post missing? Please read forum descriptions & guidelines within before posting in the wrong forum.

See more
See less

Roland TD-12, still worth in 2020 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roland TD-12, still worth in 2020 ?

Hello,

I'm beginning my journey as a drummer and I would like a good drumkit for around 2000€. After checking out some options (Roland TD-17KV(X), ATV EXS-5 and others) I'm a little stuck. The ATV EXS-5 is great on paper, really good cymbals, toms, snare and hi-hats but the module lacks the dual zone toms and other things.

I saw a listing on drumtec for an EXS-5 without the drum module and I was thinking of getting a used Roland TD-12 that would get me dual zone toms, positional sensing (if I decide to go that route) but it's pretty old. I can get one for 300€ , is it worth it ? I would mainly use it with VST (Addictive Drums 2)

Should I get the TD-12 for 300€ or are there some better options near that price-range ?

Thank you

Originally posted by SlavSquat View Post
    Hello,

I'm beginning my journey as a drummer and I would like a good drumkit for around 2000€. After checking out some options (Roland TD-17KV(X), ATV EXS-5 and others) I'm a little stuck. The ATV EXS-5 is great on paper, really good cymbals, toms, snare and hi-hats but the module lacks the dual zone toms and other things.

I saw a listing on drumtec for an EXS-5 without the drum module and I was thinking of getting a used Roland TD-12 that would get me dual zone toms, positional sensing (if I decide to go that route) but it's pretty old. I can get one for 300€ , is it worth it ? I would mainly use it with VST (Addictive Drums 2)

Should I get the TD-12 for 300€ or are there some better options near that price-range ?

Thank you
    I have been using a TD-12 for the past 8 years and like it a lot. Very durable, good amount of inputs, midi in and out, lots of customization abilities, etc. Only thing I don’t like about it are the huge amount of wasted sounds I never use and I don’t really love the snare sounds. I am upgrading soon to probably a TD-30 but would definitely recommend the 12 if you can get it for around 500 usd or less.

Comment

disclaimer: i’ve never owned or played a td12

if you can get a used td12 in good condition for a good price, it’s a solid first purchase that will serve you well for a number of years at least. the td12 is a different kit to the td9 (obviously), but many of the advantages i list in the link below apply to the td12. i bought my td9 as an experienced drummer (1st edrum purchase) around 10 years ago and it is still going strong and doing almost everything i could want it to (no positional sensing on the td9). money very well spent for me

https://www.vdrums.com/forum/general...03#post1228503

good luck with it - drumming is the best
      E-kits: Roland TD9 (KD8, FD9), Yamaha DTX Multi12 (KT10, HH65, TP100), Zendrum EXP (Stompblock) || Interfaces: Scarlett 6i6, 2i4 || Computers: imac, macbook || Software: Superior Drummer 3, Logic || Monitors: Yamaha HS7s, Yamaha DBR10, ATH-M30x || A-Kits: DIY compact kit, Mapex Meridian || Cymbals: Zildjian Ks, some As, Sabians ...

Comment

Thanks guys, I got the TD-12 and tested it with a td-11k kit (just swapped the module) and it feels fantastic !

A friend borrowed me his TD-11K kit to test drumming since I've been wanting to start drumming for the past 5 years or so but never had a budget for it. We'll see how it plays out in the next months and then I'll decide on what parts to buy next.

It's so good to be drumming!
        Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by SlavSquat View Post
          Thanks guys, I got the TD-12 and tested it with a td-11k kit (just swapped the module) and it feels fantastic !

A friend borrowed me his TD-11K kit to test drumming since I've been wanting to start drumming for the past 5 years or so but never had a budget for it. We'll see how it plays out in the next months and then I'll decide on what parts to buy next.

It's so good to be drumming!
          Cheers
          good stuff. try and get a regular practice routine including using a metronome. if you can afford the $$ and time for some lessons with a good teacher you won’t regret it. have fun
          E-kits: Roland TD9 (KD8, FD9), Yamaha DTX Multi12 (KT10, HH65, TP100), Zendrum EXP (Stompblock) || Interfaces: Scarlett 6i6, 2i4 || Computers: imac, macbook || Software: Superior Drummer 3, Logic || Monitors: Yamaha HS7s, Yamaha DBR10, ATH-M30x || A-Kits: DIY compact kit, Mapex Meridian || Cymbals: Zildjian Ks, some As, Sabians ...

Comment

I use a TD-12 with Superior Drummer 3. It’s great. My only concern would be the durability of the display.
            Roland TD-12 + SD3 + Drum-tec stainless steel Pro snare, ATV 18” ride & some basic Roland pads.

Comment

Working...
            X