Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

If you cannot post, please visit our Forum Talk forum for answers to more frequently asked questions.

Is your post missing? Please read forum descriptions & guidelines within before posting in the wrong forum.

See more
See less

TDW-20 or TD-30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TDW-20 or TD-30

Hello. TDW-20 w expansion card or TD-30 module? 30 is about double the cost. If sounds are very similar I would just go with the 20. Currently using a TD-12. Thanks.

I should mention that drum sounds (snare, toms, kick, cymbals) are more important to me than having a ton of gimmicky sounds I will never use.
    Last edited by BGreene; 05-21-20, 08:23 AM.

30. Always 30. There are plenty of reasons why. Screen, additional library and no need for battery replacement for a few.
    Alan
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | message | recommendations

Comment

The sound difference is not huge if the td20 has the expansion. The only thing at present is the td20 is quite old and most of them suffer screen problems. Some can be fixed with contacts cleaned others may need a new screen which are no longer readily available. I have both modules (mine is also an expanded td20) and playability seems about the same. I prefer the td30 sounds but I don’t use them as I use it for triggering SD3. By the way I’m not being greedy having both as the td20 is used by my son now although both still in the same house.

there are other modules these days that sound better but also depends on if you are going to use all the trigger inputs. Worth looking into what else is available like the td27 or even a pearl mimic if you can reach that high. Depends what your needs are. If you are looking at a td30 then 2nd hand is the way to go and keep an eye out for bargains. I got mine quite cheap.
      Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

Originally posted by mkok View Post
        The sound difference is not huge if the td20 has the expansion. The only thing at present is the td20 is quite old and most of them suffer screen problems. Some can be fixed with contacts cleaned others may need a new screen which are no longer readily available. I have both modules (mine is also an expanded td20) and playability seems about the same. I prefer the td30 sounds but I don’t use them as I use it for triggering SD3. By the way I’m not being greedy having both as the td20 is used by my son now although both still in the same house.

there are other modules these days that sound better but also depends on if you are going to use all the trigger inputs. Worth looking into what else is available like the td27 or even a pearl mimic if you can reach that high. Depends what your needs are. If you are looking at a td30 then 2nd hand is the way to go and keep an eye out for bargains. I got mine quite cheap.
        Thank you. I have considered the 25 or 27 as I really like their drum sounds but inputs and outputs are important. I am using 14 inputs now (using TD-4 as a slave module) so I would need midi in and out. I also use a throne thumper and have Simmons speakers. I think I am stuck with either a TD-30 or moving outside Roland.

Comment

Working...
        X