Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

If you cannot post, please visit our Forum Talk forum for answers to more frequently asked questions.

Is your post missing? Please read forum descriptions & guidelines within before posting in the wrong forum.

See more
See less

TD-27 - Questions & Worries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TD-27 - Questions & Worries

Hey guys,

I have a traditional Roland pad setup filling inputs on a TD-3 complemented by a set of 6 single-trigger Kit-Toys cymbals plugged into a MegaDrums.
    All of this is triggering Superior Drummer.

I thought I might upgrade for a better module (finally) & saw the TD-27.
    Checking out sounds, it's not that horrible for something engine-created plus it would be future-proof with the digital inputs.

However, looking online through PDF docs on Roland website has me worried ; unlike older models the TD-50 & TD-27 group both "input settings" of a dual-trigger input in the "trigger settings" instead of letting you select "Rim" & "Head" pad preset individually...

1- With older models, it means you can split a dual-trigger input on the module into two single-input triggers using a Y cable and apply correct settings to each input.
    In newer TD-27 & 50, you can only select one pad per dual-trigger input and it applies the setting to both "Rim" & "Head" automatically...
    Am I right assuming I will not be able to correctly set 2 single-trigger per input with a Y cable because of this?

2- Also unlike older models, I cannot find an Instrument list in the MIDI PDFs or any details on the matter about triggering TD-27/50 sounds from outside MIDI...
    So WTF did they really take out the functionality of being able to call sounds from another module??
    Because of #1, the inputs on a TD-27 would be filled and I would have leftover cymbals...
    Am I right assuming I can't even hook my extra cymbals on the MegaDrums & MIDI-out to trigger TD-27/50 sounds?

Basically wouldn't the only way to use it properly including all my setup would be to MIDI output TD-27 to MegaDrums and trigger Superior Drummer from MegaDrums MIDI-out...
    Then again it kinda defeats the point of getting better sounds than a TD-3 if I'm never even going to be able to hear them...

Thanks for your patience getting through this! Hope it was clear enough I did my best!

TL ; DR :
    Hi TD-27/50 owner!
    1- Can you split inputs using a Y-cable on the TD-27/50?
    2- Can you trigger TD-27/50 sounds from another module using MIDI?

you can change note numbers/ midi ch of pads inside a 'kit' .. inside a kit are 3 toms, crash 2, and 3 'aux' trigger inputs..
    if you have more cymbals/toms, you can't 'add' anymore sounds inside a drum kit .. so, you have to count how many total
    (dual) pads you have.. when [head/rim] button is not engaged you could alter rim sounds of toms into single zone cyms f.ex
    or percussion etc.. (also chg note number, midi ch in kit midi)
    Last edited by Ericdrumz; 05-21-20, 04:25 AM.

Comment

...you can't 'add' anymore sounds inside a drum kit ..

Flagship & Advanced modules used to have an Instrument/Percussion set that can be modified independently from the main sounds of module. You can call those sounds by setting up a Slave module on MIDI ch.11...
      I'm looking for confirmation that TD27/50 removed this feature...

TL;DR :
      __________________________________________________ _______

Comment

the TD-50 does not have percussion sets as i understand, so NO to your #2

at least as per

https://www.vdrums.com/forum/general...e5#post1163975

https://www.vdrums.com/forum/general...td-30-analysis

https://www.vdrums.com/forum/advance...50#post1217779

https://www.vdrums.com/forum/general...e6#post1219438

i simply typed "percussion sets TD-50" into the search bar to find this.

seems the feature has become passť for some reason, the strike module lacks percussion sets as well to my dismay. not sure about 2box.
        Alesis STRIKE, PD-85 rack toms, PD-105BK floor tom, Mapex snare with ISM-6, PDP MX 22" kick with ISM, iron cobra 900 double pedal, hart e-cymbal2, CY-5 as splash, CY-8, CY-12R, L80 hi-hat with cheap-o trigger with goedrum hi hat controller. EZdrummer2+EZX/Addictive Drums 2 VSTs.

Comment

there is something i have intended to try with my strike that i have not yet had the chance to fully experiment with.

i can't add additional MIDI notes without percussion sets but i can trigger existing ones, so theoretically i could use a 2nd/slave module via MIDI to trigger the rim zones MIDI notes using separate pads like an alternative to splitters.

in the little bit i've experimented with this so far i've also found that this preserves the "choke" function on the pad on the primary module, though it still does not work on the rim zone run through the slave.

i've not yet filled all of my trigger inputs on my strike module and i'm still waiting on a number of parts to arrive in the mail for my DIY a2e cymbals, so i've not had to involve splitters yet and haven't explored this further either.

if it does work i'll have to figure out if it's possible to make single zone cymbal pads that still have a functioning choke feature.
          Alesis STRIKE, PD-85 rack toms, PD-105BK floor tom, Mapex snare with ISM-6, PDP MX 22" kick with ISM, iron cobra 900 double pedal, hart e-cymbal2, CY-5 as splash, CY-8, CY-12R, L80 hi-hat with cheap-o trigger with goedrum hi hat controller. EZdrummer2+EZX/Addictive Drums 2 VSTs.

Comment

i simply typed "percussion sets TD-50" into the search bar to find this.
            Yes I also did that before going deeper in the Roland PDFs...
            Read a ton of threads here about it but since most were several years old I wanted to ask in case there was an update to firmware or anything I missed...
            Just trying to get definitive hands-on confirmation from owners aside from documentation already available.
            Thanks!

Comment

I think if you need more inputs then the td27 is probably the wrong module for you. I have read nothing but woe with splitting.
              Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

Originally posted by Towser View Post
                Read a ton of threads here about it but since most were several years old I wanted to ask in case there was an update to firmware or anything I missed...
                Just trying to get definitive hands-on confirmation from owners aside from documentation already available.
                Thanks!
                They stopped this since TD25 and up.

TD11\15\25\27\50 percussion set: No
                TD6\8\9\12\20\30 percussion set :Yes
                Last edited by Chris K; 05-21-20, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Thanks!
                  i meant it more like "these are my sources if you want to verify what i'm saying", wasn't saying it like i thought you didn't look or anything.

Comment

TL ; DR :
                    Hi TD-27/50 owner!
                    1 - No. However, the only Roland modules in the last 20 years that you COULD do this with (out of the box) were the TD6 (discountinued 2005) and TD8 (discontinued 2004), and even then it was only on certain inputs. All other Roland modules need a special 'splitter' that includes a resistor which stops the piezos interacting, and specific trigger settings to 'fool' the module into thinking the two pads are one. At best it's a crapshoot, at worst it doesn't even work. Given that each pad is just one-zone when split, you're gaining a playing surface but you're not gaining a triggering zone. So what's your motivation?

(If you want to play fool-the-module with lots of pads, the TD27 is not your playing field. TD30 or TD50 from Roland. Better still, Mimic Pro or 2Box.

2 - Both the modules have MIDI in so I can't possibly fathom why you wouldn't be able to trigger them from an external source which produces MIDI out.

Comment

Originally posted by mkok View Post
                      I think if you need more inputs then the td27 is probably the wrong module for you. I have read nothing but woe with splitting.
                      Seems about right, what a shame...

Originally posted by Chris K View Post
                      They stopped this since TD25 and up.
                      TD11\15\25\27\50 percussion set: No
                      TD6\8\9\12\20\30 percussion set :Yes
                      Thanks for the confirmation

Originally posted by winterson View Post
                      i meant it more like "these are my sources if you want to verify what i'm saying", wasn't saying it like i thought you didn't look or anything.
                      Gotcha, just wanted to be clear I tried & wasn't trying to waste anyone's valuable time here

Originally posted by flurbs View Post
                      1 - No. However, the only Roland modules in the last 20 years that you COULD do this with (out of the box) were the TD6 (discountinued 2005) and TD8 (discontinued 2004), and even then it was only on certain inputs. All other Roland modules need a special 'splitter' that includes a resistor which stops the piezos interacting, and specific trigger settings to 'fool' the module into thinking the two pads are one. At best it's a crapshoot, at worst it doesn't even work. Given that each pad is just one-zone when split, you're gaining a playing surface but you're not gaining a triggering zone. So what's your motivation?
                      (If you want to play fool-the-module with lots of pads, the TD27 is not your playing field. TD30 or TD50 from Roland. Better still, Mimic Pro or 2Box.

2 - Both the modules have MIDI in so I can't possibly fathom why you wouldn't be able to trigger them from an external source which produces MIDI out.
                      1- Good insight on the splitting thing, read about it before a bit and was considering plugging them into the MegaDrums to prevent having to split...
                      The motivation is to get available sounds in the TD27/50 otherwise inaccessible because of a lack of inputs by using any module as a slave...

2- Triggering sounds already available in the currently loaded kit by external MIDI is obviously still possible but not the same as accessing extra sounds from the entire instrument list and assigning them to a slave module's trigger inputs like it used to be possible...
                      Sorry if I tried to be so brief that I did not make that clear...

Comment

Unfortunately, as others have said, it is not possible to access any sounds other than those assigned to the available trigger inputs. There's no percussion set and no way of midi triggering a sound that isn't already on the zone of a trigger input.

And yes, pad splitting seems to be even more temperamental on the 50/27 for some reason. I haven't really tried it as I don't need the feature, but most accounts I've read have had more trouble with it than on other modules. And yeah, there's no default pad split option with normal splitter cables. Other than the mentioned TD-6 and TD-8, the only other Roland devices I can think of that have it natively are the trigger modules (TM-2 does, TM-6 Pro does, *I think*) and the SPD-SX (maybe SPD-S too but I can't confirm).

Comment

Working...
                        X