Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Should I convert my accoustic kit or go for a new electronic kit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I convert my accoustic kit or go for a new electronic kit?

Hi there!

I know there's probably no right or wrong in this, but I'm just looking for some opinions...
    For many years I've played an accoustic kit and then moved to a td 4 k which I never learned to really like.
    My accoustic kit is still stored and it's quite a big kit with large shells, flight cases and a lot of hardware (rack).

I've been looking up some prices, and it seems that there's two directions:
    1. Sell my accoustic kit and get the Roland td 50 kv
    2. Convert my accoustic kit and get the td 50 upgrade package with the digital snare and ride (and I could still sell my snare and some cymbals separately)

Both options will probably cost a similar amount in the end.
    (also, I will probably wait for a few months anyway so in case Roland releases a new flagship module/kit soon I might also consider that)

My thoughts so far:
    - Keeping my accoustic kit will allow me to convert it back with regular drum heads but it is unlikely that I ever will.
    - Although I do have some space, the roland kit will have a smaller foot print which my wife would probably appreciate.
    - I'm aiming for a realistic feel and I'm not sure if conversion is better or getting gear that was designed for the job. I'm guessing there's people here that will know...
    - I like my old kit, but it's also nice to get something brand new.

I appreciate your help in making these tough decisions ;-)

You figured most things out already. Space vs. Looks, out of the Box vs. a little DIY (very little, though).

Why TD50KV and not VAD506 ? I would choose the VAD506 any time over a TD50 Set.

Or ATV aDrums (look acoustic, still smaller footprint, amazing Triggering).

Audiofront eDrumIn. Triggering mainly SD3.

Yamaha Cymbals, drum-tec HiHat Ctl, DW PDP Drumset with Jobeky Triggers and drumtec Pro Snare. Zoom UAC-2 Interface.

Comment

Originally posted by holzi2000 View Post

Why TD50KV and not VAD506 ? I would choose the VAD506 any time over a TD50 Set.

Or ATV aDrums (look acoustic, still smaller footprint, amazing Triggering).
      Thanks for your reply!

I don't care too much about the looks, more about the feel of playing it.
      The digital snare and ride in the td 50 kits seem like a nice step forwards.
      On the other hand, it might not make that much of a difference in the enjoyment I'll get out of it.
      What are the reasons you'd choose the VAD506 above a TD50 set (I understand that it costs less)?
      I'll check out ATV as well.

Comment

I think you nailed most of the pros/cons yourself. I'd like to add one more factor for you to consider.

Converting an acoustic kit can take a lot of time. I thought I'd just buy the parts, drop in the trigger, put on the heads and call it a day. But in reality I spent a long time trying to carefully pop out the vent hole grommet on each drum without causing any damage in order to fit the cable connector (I didn't want an external cable connector nor did I want to start drilling holes in my drums.) Then I spent time fiddling with the trigger placement and trigger settings in the module to get them to work well. Figuring out the best tension for my mesh heads on each tom to nail the feel and performance. And those rim condoms...boy was that annoying to put on. Oh...and the time spent watching conversion videos (hats off to Justin at 65 Drums) to figure it all out.

It really is an easy process, and now I can do conversions very quickly. But that first one will be a time drain. Make sure you factor that in.

All that being said, it is SO REWARDING to play to play on an E-Kit that you built yourself.
        Pearl Mimic Pro, A2E Tama Superstar, Jobeky side triggers on the snare and 8” Tom, Jobeky AI triggers on the rest, VH-13 Hi-Hat, ATV 18” Ride, 2x Roland CY-14C Crashes, Roland CY-13R/C Splash, Roland CY-15R China, 2x Roland BT-1 for Side Stick and Cowbell, Sony MDR-7506

Comment

Thanks ach987, I didn't yet consider the time it will take.
          The e-kit in your profile pic looks really awesome!

Time is a bit of a limiting factor lately with 2 kids... but being an engineer, it is probably time of which I'll enjoy (almost) every minute. I'm currently planning on building an extra room to my house, I think I should set up the old kit and do some measuring to see how important it will be to keep the footprint limited. I might end up ruining my bass drum to make it shallow by sawing it in half. Or I could still decide to focus on the drumming and get a kit that is ready to play out of the box.

Comment

If you don't care much about looks, how about one of the TD27 kits? Still gets you the digital ride and snare.
            ATV aDrums, ATV aD5, eDRUMin, Presonus Quantum 2, SD3

Comment

Originally posted by molson View Post
              If you don't care much about looks, how about one of the TD27 kits? Still gets you the digital ride and snare.
              I thought the digital snare and ride were only for the TD50 but now I see that the 27 also has them.
              Still I don't like the smaller hihat, tom and crash sizes and it seems that there's no standard td 27 kit that comes with a mesh kick pad.

Comment

Originally posted by ZSP_Willem View Post

I thought the digital snare and ride were only for the TD50 but now I see that the 27 also has them.
                Still I don't like the smaller hihat, tom and crash sizes and it seems that there's no standard td 27 kit that comes with a mesh kick pad.
                The VAD506 with TD27 has better pad layout than all the TD50 kits. Full size drums and great triggering. I prefer the snares in the TD27 to the TD50. https://www.roland.com/us/products/vad506/
                Another amazing way to go is an ATV artist kit and Pearl Mimic pro module. The TD27 is pretty good but the Mimic has the most real and well recorded drum sound.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Warren View Post

The VAD506 with TD27 has better pad layout than all the TD50 kits. Full size drums and great triggering. I prefer the snares in the TD27 to the TD50. https://www.roland.com/us/products/vad506/
                  Another amazing way to go is an ATV artist kit and Pearl Mimic pro module. The TD27 is pretty good but the Mimic has the most real and well recorded drum sound.
                  With pad layout do you mean where the toms are positioned?
                  With a TD50 kit I suppose it is also possible to put two toms up high or add an additional tom (which I probably would at some point).

I think that if I'd go with the TD27 module, I'd rather have the VAD kit because of the sizes and the mesh kick than the standard TD27 kit.
                  I guess that objectively, the VAD506 might be a better option than the TD50KV.
                  It must be personal taste, but something's also telling me that it's very unnessesary to make a fully electronic (not converted) kit look like an accoustic one.
                  Like, if I buy an electronic kit, I need it to function well and feel as a high-quality kit to play, I don't care for all the additional wood and chrome.
                  So that's why I was thinking either converting my old bulky kit, or going for something a bit more 'practical'.
                  Anyway, it's good input, and I'll take it into consideration, also the ATV + Mimic pro combination.

Comment

I guess I should get some inspiration by visiting a large store that has multiple options and play some kits to get an idea what fits my groove ;-)

Comment

For me using standard larger sized Roland pads with the right mesh heads work perfectly fine. The difference when switching to acoustic is minimal, and this really is still due to the mesh head or the subtilities an acoustic kit offers. And any TD-17/20/25/27/30/50, AD-5, Mimic would also be so much better than the TD-4!
                      E-kit: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vpx92wez8v...3558.jpg?raw=1
                      A-kit: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vxkwbj1rv7...345-1.jpg?raw=1
                      TD-30, KT10, PD-105/125, 13" DIY + BT-1, VH-11/CY14/15/5, PM-30, HD-280 Pro

Comment

I was in a similar situation last year and ended up converting one of my acoustic kits. Looking back, I would absolutely do it again but would have likely invested in a few different things out of the gates. TD-50 (or TD-27 now) is definitely worth it in my opinion and you can augment the Roland ride with ATV crash, splash, china, fx, and hihats for a more apples to apples cymbal size layout. Although there is a new Roland 16” crash available now too...

In any case, I think sitting down at an acoustic sized kit just feels more natural. And I find I’m more inspired when I play vs a smaller pad solution. But everybody has to find what inspires them personally and I wouldn’t say a conversion is necessarily better, just different and completely subjective in terms of feel and performance.
                        Roland TD-50 & eDRUMin Modules | Superior Drummer 3 | Tama A2E w/ R-Drums Triggers | FIELD, ATV, & Roland Cymbals | ACD Unlimited Pedals | Tama & Gibraltar HW | RME HDSPe AIO Interface | Mackie ProFX10v3 Mixer | Simmons DA200S Monitor | V-MODA Crossfade M-100 OEMs & Westone UM Pro 50 IEMs

Comment

Originally posted by rdubu View Post
                          In any case, I think sitting down at an acoustic sized kit just feels more natural. And I find I’m more inspired when I play vs a smaller pad solution. But everybody has to find what inspires them personally and I wouldn’t say a conversion is necessarily better, just different and completely subjective in terms of feel and performance.
                          I recently switched to a Pad setup, for various reasons. And Just 2 hours ago switched back to my A2E Conversion.
                          The Pad Setup worked amazing, but it did not inspire me to play, at all. And always when I watched a drumming video I got sentimental, missing my previous kit.

I think it depends on which kind of edrummer you are: if you are the "I want to play with sounds and loops" kind, you are probably ok with pads. If you are more the "I want the realistic Ludwig 60s Sound", you probably gravitate towards Acoustic-like.

Audiofront eDrumIn. Triggering mainly SD3.

Yamaha Cymbals, drum-tec HiHat Ctl, DW PDP Drumset with Jobeky Triggers and drumtec Pro Snare. Zoom UAC-2 Interface.

Comment

In any case, I think sitting down at an acoustic sized kit just feels more natural. And I find I’m more inspired when I play vs a smaller pad solution.
                            This is so true. I posted earlier about the time investment in doing a conversion. Some might say they’d rather spend time drumming rather than tinkering. But in my case I’ve been so inspired to play ever since doing my conversion that I have been drumming way more than when I was playing on pads.

You can’t underestimate the power of inspiration.

I’m sure many have experienced this after buying a new piece of gear. Sometimes it just inspires you to play more.
                            Pearl Mimic Pro, A2E Tama Superstar, Jobeky side triggers on the snare and 8” Tom, Jobeky AI triggers on the rest, VH-13 Hi-Hat, ATV 18” Ride, 2x Roland CY-14C Crashes, Roland CY-13R/C Splash, Roland CY-15R China, 2x Roland BT-1 for Side Stick and Cowbell, Sony MDR-7506

Comment

i'm more inspired to play by my partially converted kit than my old td-6v, but expanding my converted kit requires more tinkering (and reading/learning before the tinkering, and then more and more) to accomplish that takes time away from playing...
                              Alesis STRIKE, PD-85 rack toms, PD-105BK floor tom, Mapex snare with ISM-6, PDP MX 22" kick with ISM, iron cobra 900 double pedal, hart e-cymbal2, CY-5 as splash, CY-8, CY-12R, L80 hi-hat with cheap-o trigger with goedrum hi hat controller. EZdrummer2+EZX/Addictive Drums 2 VSTs.

Comment

Working...
                              X