Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

TD-20 or TD-30 Upgrade from TD-12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TD-20 or TD-30 Upgrade from TD-12

Hi everyone. Looking for product advice. I am currently using a TD-12 and like it but looking to maybe upgrade. Thinking about a Td-20 for around $700 or a TD-30 for double that. Is it worth it to skip over the 20 and head right to the 30?

TD-30. 3x the library. Less worries about possible screen issues.
    Alan
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | message | recommendations

Comment

**** you
      Last edited by docdoghouse; 11-10-20, 09:07 AM.

Comment

How are you using it,live ,home or VST? I would not pay $1400 for a used TD30. You could get a Mimic for $400 more. I think the TD27 sounds better too but it would have less inputs.

Comment

Originally posted by docdoghouse View Post
          depends, i didnt liked the 30 soundwise at all. if you can get a 20x for around 400,- go for it. the 30 is very expensive (sold mine for 1500€)
          In that pricerange get a mimic.
          Screentrouble is an easy fix, whipe the ribbon connectors with a q-tip drenched in alcohol.
          That’s interesting bc no matter how much I tinker with the snare sounds on the TD-12 I just can’t get something I like.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Warren View Post
            How are you using it,live ,home or VST? I would not pay $1400 for a used TD30. You could get a Mimic for $400 more. I think the TD27 sounds better too but it would have less inputs.
            I actually like the sounds on the 27, but the inputs are important to me bc I have to use a TD-4 as a slave module now. Using it for home now, but will use it live (minus the cymbals probably).

Comment

depends, i didnt liked the 30 soundwise at all. if you can get a 20x for around 400,- go for it. the 30 is very expensive (sold mine for 1500€)
              Screentrouble is an easy fix, whipe the ribbon connectors with a q-tip drenched in alcohol.
              Is the TD-20 enough of an upgrade from the TD-12 with regard to sound choices and customization to justify upgrading?

Comment

Originally posted by BGreene View Post

Is the TD-20 enough of an upgrade from the TD-12 with regard to sound choices and customization to justify upgrading?
                I think the TD20x has the upgrade card in it with a few new sounds. The TD20 without expansion card would sound exactly like the TD12. The 30 has few more sounds than the 20x but the snares are a bit more realistic. It still sounds fairly electronic to me.
                Last edited by Peter Warren; 05-13-20, 12:36 AM.

Comment

**** you
                  Last edited by docdoghouse; 11-10-20, 09:07 AM.

Comment

Do you know if all my Roland pads would hook right into the mimic?

Comment

Do you know if all my Roland pads would hook right into the mimic?
                      Yes and it has presets for all of them. I have the Mimic and TD27. The Mimic is much more realistic sounding plus the drums are recorded in a very nice studio.

Comment

Yes and it has presets for all of them. I have the Mimic and TD27. The Mimic is much more realistic sounding plus the drums are recorded in a very nice studio.
                        Thank you!

Comment

I jumped from TD-12 to TD-30 (get mine for 1100€), and honestly I love the beast. The snare sound is really great, that's the main upgrade. Of course not every snare, but you'll find at least 3 snare that are great.
                          With the 30, I can now feel like I'm playing a real acoustic drum. I'm not saying that it's the best module, just that it's the first Roland module that give that feeling.
                          I've never been a huge fan of VST, I really prefer the dynamic of the TD-30. Don't want to re-open an old debate...
                          Last edited by Sylv1co; 05-13-20, 11:48 AM.

Comment

I think the TD20x has the upgrade card in it with a few new sounds. The TD20 without expansion card would sound exactly like the TD12. The 30 has few more sounds than the 20x but the snares are a bit more realistic. It still sounds fairly electronic to me.
                            TDW-20 w expansion card or TD-30 module? 30 is about double the cost. If sounds are very similar I would just go with the 20. Advice?

Comment

TDW-20 w expansion card or TD-30 module? 30 is about double the cost. If sounds are very similar I would just go with the 20. Advice?
                              I wouldn't pay $1400 for a used TD30 at this point. Edrumcenter has the Mimic for $1800 right now. Bank A in the TD30 are the sounds that are not in the TD20 expanded. The TD30 snares are alot better than the 20 but there are new options to consider now.

Comment

Working...
                              X