Announcement

Collapse

Products Posting Guidelines

PRODUCT DISCUSSION ONLY! DO NOT POST TECHNICAL QUESTIONS!

Having issues? Please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

See more
See less

Platform advice. This has worked flawlessly for years.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Platform advice. This has worked flawlessly for years.

Just reposting for the shut ins driving their neighbors crazy!!

Tennis balls and other overly complicated platforms are unnecessary and don't really absorb sound that well. I had this over my neighbor's bedroom for years and they did not even know I played drums until we had them over just before we moved out! LOL

This relies on two things:

1) damping and isolation using a firm component (Auralex Platafoam) plus a more spongy layer (Sorbothane pucks)
    2) NOT putting the throne on the platform, as the addition of your weight makes the whole platform less able to absorb vibrations. It loads the springs so to speak and couples it more tightly to the floor, which is the opposite of what you want. The downside is if you sit high, you might need a new throne or have to create a separate base just for the throne.

The whole thing cost me about $125.

Two 4x3 pieces of 3/4" ply
    A few pieces of Auralex Platafoam (I had to buy a larger quantity than I needed but it was easy to sell off pieces to other drummers!)
    Sorbothane pucks (amazon - 1/2" are fine.)
    Cheap carpet remnant
    No nails, no screws, glue, nada....

drum%20platform%20005.jpg

drum%20platform%20006.jpg

Originally posted by wolfereeno2 View Post
    Just reposting for the shut ins driving their neighbors crazy!!

Tennis balls and other overly complicated platforms are unnecessary and don't really absorb sound that well. I had this over my neighbor's bedroom for years and they did not even know I played drums until we had them over just before we moved out! LOL

This relies on two things:

1) damping and isolation using a firm component (Auralex Platafoam) plus a more spongy layer (Sorbothane pucks)
    2) NOT putting the throne on the platform, as the addition of your weight makes the whole platform less able to absorb vibrations. It loads the springs so to speak and couples it more tightly to the floor, which is the opposite of what you want. The downside is if you sit high, you might need a new throne or have to create a separate base just for the throne.

The whole thing cost me about $125.

Two 4x3 pieces of 3/4" ply
    A few pieces of Auralex Platafoam (I had to buy a larger quantity than I needed but it was easy to sell off pieces to other drummers!)
    Sorbothane pucks (amazon - 1/2" are fine.)
    Cheap carpet remnant
    No nails, no screws, glue, nada....

drum%20platform%20005.jpg

drum%20platform%20006.jpg
    Nicely done.

The best place to have a drum kit is above a bedroom. Usually they are only there when they are sleeping and you are not playing..

I bet it could be done with sorbothane only. That stuff really absorbs impacts. Replace the foam with more sorbothane. I had a riser with just foam and it did not work well.

Comment

I think the foam is really helpful and essential to the dampening. Platafoam is not regular foam. https://auralex.com/platfoam/. I have some under my subwoofer now, and my neighbor never hears it. I paid $250 for a box of it and sold the unused pieces for 200. Maybe now it comes in smaller quantities. Then it didn't.

As for being over a bedroom? Not so sure. I live in NYC Bedrooms are multipurpose rooms here!

Comment

looks very good.. i had a really thick carpet under pedals/ kick .. (turned upside down)
        and i used the felt side of beaters too once .. they only got slowly 'eaten' by the mesh ..
        Audio | Video | Roland/Yamaha e-kit | Sonor/Gretsch a-kit | Zildjian/Sabian/Ufip cymbals

Comment

Looks great. I'm sure it's quiet.

Comment

awesome
            Roland TD9 (KD8, FD9), Yamaha DTX Multi12 (KT10, HH65, TP100), Zendrum EXP (Stompblock) || Scarlett 6i6 > imac; 2i4 >macbook || Superior Drummer 3, Logic || Yamaha HS7s, Yamaha DBR10, ATH-M30x || DIY compact a-kit, Mapex Meridian, Zildjian Ks, some As and Sabians and ... || youtube

Comment

For the Sorbothane pucks, how many did you use and about how were they distributed between the two platforms? Looks like a nice platform!

Comment

Working...
              X